It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO sighting puzzles N.L. residents

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
On a side note I'm pretty sure that this had already been posted.

I'm assuming if it were a jet they would have heard it, we Atlantic Canadians aren't that stupid

And according to the women who took the picture, she said it appeard to come out of the bay. Say it did come out of the bay at high speeds... could water coming off the object explain what looks like a contrail? I'm not saying this is an alien space craft or a missle, it might be an airplane, but I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have made the national news and attracted the attention of southern newfoundland if it was just an airplane flying at high altitude.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You do not hear a jet that is 6 miles overhead. In fact, you probably won't even see it.

"It appeared to come out of the ocean," she told CBC News. "It was like it was in the middle of the bay."

A plane appearing from beyond the horizon will appear to come out of the ocean.

[edit on 1/27/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well it might possinbly be a conventional jet contrail, but that is certainly not what has been suggested by reaction by the RCMP and DND.

The RCMP apparently know what it is and aren't saying and the DND is not saying anything at all. If it was a jet, why would the RCMP and DND not say so?

I think that the witness statements suggest this did come out of the ocean and NOT over the horizon as Phage suggests. Note that it is highly unlikely anyone would see a plane emerging from the distance of the horizon as it would be obscured by atmospheric perspective (haze and mist), espcially over an ocean. Plus it would take forever for a plane to fly from the horizon to the position it is seen in this photo.

Plus the object seemed quite clear in the photograph shown on the CBC national news and it looked a lot more like a missile than a jet - okay, it might be a stubby jet without wings - whatever.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The more I read about this, the more it is suggested that this was NOT AN AIRPLANE, and was probably a missile.

From an article in the Windsor Star:

A mystery object shaped like an "oversized bullet" that flew over their tiny community this week has people in Harbour Mille, N.L., wondering if they saw a missile launch.

"First thing I thought was: 'My God, it had to be a missile of some sort,' because it looked like an oversized bullet," said Emmy Pardy, who watched it through binoculars for five to eight minutes as it passed silently overhead at sunset Monday.

"It was grey-silver in colour (and) it seemed like it had a bit of flame coming through the bottom of it and it had a trail of smoke, or what appeared to be smoke," Pardy said.

"We knew it wasn't a plane and it definitely wasn't any kind of UFO thing," she said, laughing.

A grainy photo shot by another witness, Darlene Stewart, shows an object, trailing what appears to be orange flame, moving at a 45-degree angle to the left against a greyish coloured sky.

----
So it is possible that all of the witnesses are wrong but it is a greater possibility that Phage and others are mistaken to make a conclusion that this simply must be a plain ordinary jet contrail.

I do agree that many people are confused by regular contrails lit up by setting or rising sun, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time.

Anyways, for those who are hoping for something non-terrestrial, the description does sound a little like Jules Verne's bullet to the moon.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

news just in- seems it may have been something unusual

www.cbc.ca...

People who saw a missile-like object soaring through the sky over a small rural community in Newfoundland Monday night are getting no answers about what it was, although police say they'd gotten to the bottom of the mystery.

Interesting

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hey, looks like the Prime Ministers Office is getting involved:

The Prime Minister Office says there is no evidence of anyone firing a rocket near Newfoundland's southern coast, despite reports of a flaming unidentified object shooting through the sky in Harbour Mille on Monday. Read more: www.cbc.ca...

Interesting. Seems that the Government has no idea what happened either. Although I'm not usually one for speculation of UFO's and other extraterrestrial activity, this does contribute to the wide array of strange stories. CBC

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestreak53

Does this look much like an airplane? At sunset, 6 miles up, with the naked eye, it's hard to see anything at all.

[edit on 1/28/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
N.L. residents puzzled by 'oversized bullets' in sky

She says an RCMP officer called her at home twice and confirmed her suspicion that what the three neighbours saw were in fact missiles and were fired from the French islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon, about 25 kilometres off the southern coast of N.L.

"[The officer] said it was a missile and it was sent off over the French islands, and it was set off by the army over there," Ms. Pardy said.

www.nationalpost.com...

[edit on 29-1-2010 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

The RCMP officer was mistaken.

The mystery surrounding the missile-like object spotted off Newfoundland's south coast on Monday continues to grow after the French embassy said France did not carry out any military activity at the time of the incident in the region. On Wednesday, the French government confirmed submarine-based missile testing had taken place off the northwest coast of France. Yesterday the Prime Minister's Office told the Canadian Press there was no evidence of anyone firing a missile in the area. "There is no indication that there was ever a rocket launch," said Dimitri Soudas. Captain Noel Paine, a spokesman for Canada's Department of Defence, said Monday's incident was not of military concern. He said the Public Safety Office was leading the investigation.

www.kelowna.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Having followed this story in two of the three threads covering it, I am now convinced that we are looking at contrail, not rocket exhaust.

I have looked at solid fuel and liquid fuel rockets, they all leave a continuous plume, but further, no one seems to be paying attention to the DURATION of the sighting.

The witness states she watched the object for TEN minutes. Now, Im not rocket expert, but Im guessing that to take ten minutes to traverse the sky would require a high altitude, if your moving at any speed (and judging by the contrail this is the case).

A missile would have a ballistic trajectory, i.e. over the course of ten minutes it would appear to change direction and attitude, as well as altitude.

I think the confusion is due to the density of the initial condensation, in shadow and looking gray, giving the illusion of a solid body, in comparison to the brightly lit 'fiery' plume following it.

upshot of all this? I think Phage is right

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join