It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it rude to revive an old thread?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I bump old threads quite a lot, especially high profile threads from years ago or a topic that is now relevant to new ATS members.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My two cents - if you have something to add or an update, then its ok.

Its probably better than starting a new thread on it.

Depending on the topic there are days here now where you can find 2, 3 or more threads on the same topic on the "recent posts" screen.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
My two cents - if you have something to add or an update, then its ok.

Its probably better than starting a new thread on it.

Depending on the topic there are days here now where you can find 2, 3 or more threads on the same topic on the "recent posts" screen.

The mods do well with closing as many repetitious threads as they locate. In fact, it seems like in the past couple of days they have been particularly scrutinizing and closing redundancies. I've been redirected several times this morning.

But how old is too old? Sometimes it seems they are so old, a new one might be more desirable, or sometimes it's the same topic, but different spin.

(I've just noticed it, is all.)

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
There should be a way to let people know this is what's going on.

A person can forget to look at the date it was originally posted.

When you do that you should have to bold the word revived or resurrected
or sumpin.

I've wasted a lot of time on threads from 2007 it can be a pssr.
They don't exactly advertise the date with that fine print size attempt.

I never have bumped one why what for?

[edit on 28-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

That's a great idea and something I will note in the future, if I have a cause to bump an old thread. Just adding a "bumping" or something like that will alert others to the dates...

I also like the idea of creating a new thread, but linking an old one, if it seems that a new thread would be the way to go, but you don't want to lose the old thread and its posting contents.

Two really good options...

[edit on 28-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Randyvs and Lady Skadi:

Great idea. When I bump an old one, which I will, I will begin the first sentence of my post giving the date of the OP.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
For an excelent example of threads that need to be revived every once and a while I give you Exhibit A:

Post your dating history.

Some threads should never EVER die!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I guess I should mention that in some other discussion forums bumping old threads is not encouraged for some reason. I guess they wanted to keep track of the new threads first. But here it feels quite the opposite.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ
Wow I am SO glad you started this thread. I always feel really bad about bumping old threads. Like it's taboo or something, and I end up apologizing. I thought it was an ATS no no. lol Glad this has been posted!

I always find myself searching old threads, but never commenting on them because of this "rule" I thought existed. Now I know I can bump to my hearts content. Hmm.. maybe I should rephrase that.

Thanks again for starting this thread!!

Same here. On other forums it generally feels rude to "necro post/bump", glad this is not the case with ATS

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join