It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it rude to revive an old thread?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
It is rude to bump an old thread,

Actually, if we didn't welcome the continued participation, the thread would likely be locked.

If there's a current active thread on a topic, we'll close and redirect to the earlier one.

When it comes to older, inactive threads, members can start a new thread linking to the older inactive one for reference, or create a new post in the older thread to bring it back for further participation.

It's all about the discussion.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Masqua, I was going to put your video here (again) in case anybody missed it. It is soo funny. But everything just kinda went nuts.....very strange reply/posting phenomenon. Ghosts in the machine, or more likely there is trick to that I don't know.

But watch this vid guys.....the symbolism is so pertinent!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
It is rude to bump an old thread, but if you post a new thread on the same topic, you get yelled at for not searching.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so might as well do whatever you fancy . . . the critics be damned

Looking over the responses so far, I'd say that you're wrong... it isn't rude, in fact it's a 'good thing'.

Also, if there is new information on an 'old' topic (like three weeks ago) and you start another thread pointing out the recent developments, then your thread will not be removed. If it is, then you have a right to send in a complaint and ask for it to be re-opened.

I am talking about the internet in general.

And I have seen a couple of people chastised by other members for both bumping old threads or making new threads here on ATS.

That is why I say do what you do, and screw what other people think.

If it is there is an issue, the mods will take care of it.

[edit on 1/27/2010 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hmmm...lessons in threadiquette. Salad fork on your right, meat fork and knife on your left. Try not to stab the person next to you out of courtesy. Place a cork over the tines if you have coordination issues. Chew everything thoroughly. Say "excuse me" after any gastronomically-induced ventilations. Check all entree expiration dates before serving. Leftovers last three days; beyond that it's at your own risk and noone shall be held liable.

Sure, revive an old thread. Why did anyone put it there in the first place? I know it may feel wierd to move against the subtle flowing current of novelty fixation. I've noticed many times posts in a bumped and aged thread specifically commenting on how old it was and, to me, implying that it therefore is intrinsically worthless. Threads aren't perishable with perhaps a few exceptions like news articles. I received one of those admonishments (perhaps with some sarcasm) myself just recently for bumping a nearly two-year old thread.

Now I'm considering specifically going to the oldest threads and digging them up for no other reason than to do it.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Hope you have a flamesuit handy lol

My only issue is when I read and don't look at dates. Embarrassing sometimes, but that is my own fault, and I am working on it

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

A new flamesuit has been in development under black budget funded DoD project and now cleared for public disclosure. You may or may not be aware of an article published about the military uses of silly string, in this case for the detection of trip wires. Further top secret research has resulted in the development of a new nanotube composite intelligent silly thread capable of withstanding the temperatures of orbital reentry, comet impacts and nuclear radiation. The first applications for this material will be in the area of protective armor, most notably for flamesuits and bomb disposal.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thank heavens for old threads.It is the only way recently you can find intelligent adult,well thought out discussion on a subject.

There was a period about 6 years ago when there seemed a major ban campaign of a number of ATS posters and a lot of people bailed out of this place.

They were replaced by newbies and ATS has been the same since.

Revive old threads!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

If anything, I believe, it would be rude NOT to bump a pre-existing thread discussing the same things one would like to discuss.
It is a waste of everyone's time, space and effort - not to mention against the basic rules of etiquette (both on- and offline), because it is tantamount to ignoring people's words and thoughts.

(Not to mention that, in my strictly personal opinion, the overall quality of discussion has deteriorated GREATLY in the past two years or so, which makes old threads even more valuable.)

As a matter of fact, I once proposed "a monthly BUMP".
I still think it would be a good idea.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Vanitas]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

This is where it gets a little more complicated. There is a member who has several threads I find very intriguing. The member, I see from the profile, signs in and reads almost everyday, but seems to have not posted in a couple of years.

I sent the person a U2U, commenting that I'd read the thread and enjoyed it very much. The return U2U read "Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it".

Well seems the plot thickens...now you are just going to have to revive it, you've got us all really interested in who it is and what the thread was about. Any clues ??

I think it will be fine especially if you've U2U them regarding the thread. In what area of interest is this thread in relation to?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Thank you. I was essentially thinking the same thing. But sometimes people's beliefs and experiences change. Sometimes you might re-open a can of worms (but I guess we are used to that).

I cringe to think of being held to what I once wrote.
On the other hand, if I must refute myself, that proves I've moved on.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

"Gastronomically induced ventilations??" Burping? Belching?
How do you come up with this stuff?

Hm. I think we should have "Bump an Oldie" Day. You go first.

Also, do you really think we should buy silly string? Actually, I think I might have a can somewhere....tell me again, what do we need it for?

[edit on 1/27/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

"Gastronomically induced ventilations??" Burping? Belching?

By any means where you are equipped with a safety release valve. You should have at two at minimum; it's Federally mandated.

How do you come up with this stuff?

1 pound of balogna
7 deadly sins
3 branches of government
1000 words or one picture, per preferred taste
1 grain of salt

Season every thing to taste. Serve fresh in a cave on a large Plato. Serves four horsemen.

Hm. I think we should have "Bump an Oldie" Day. You go first.

Could become a tradition. And maybe some day, if we're lucky, they'll ban it from schools or put it on the currency.

Also, do you really think we should buy silly string? Actually, I think I might have a can somewhere....tell me again, what do we need it for?

To see if ATS is ridden with hidden IED's.

[edit on 1/27/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Hey there ladyinwaiting,

There are a couple of my old threads that get bumped from time to time and I love it, because you get a whole fresh list of questions or conversation from the original.

I think if the subject matter is still of interest to people you should bump the thread ... even if the author is no longer a regular, the interaction can still continue in most cases. Remember, we have new members joining all the time and they might otherwise miss an old thread were it not for a bump.

Woody

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

It's fun to go searching around for a thread in someone's account that is years old. It's often done for spite.
Good natured of course.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Rude to revive an old thread? No.

However, apparently it is rude to do a backwards poo in your friends downstairs toilet, but that's a different story altogether......

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Great topic!

I would love to see more old threads bumped, and added to. I like to be able to find all of my information on the topic in one thread. I would love if my old threads get bumped, but alas, I seem to be my own thread killer.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

I think if the subject matter is still of interest to people you should bump the thread ... even if the author is no longer a regular, the interaction can still continue in most cases. Remember, we have new members joining all the time and they might otherwise miss an old thread were it not for a bump.

Woody

"the interactions can still continue". This is the important thing.
But....brings me to another query. Say, a person has been banned, or clearly has not signed on in years. The thread might surround a personal experience. The things that happened to the person might still be very interesting, even if they would no longer be present to "defend themselves" or further explain what happened during the experience. That would be my dilemma.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Say, a person has been banned, or clearly has not signed on in years. The thread might surround a personal experience. The things that happened to the person might still be very interesting, even if they would no longer be present to "defend themselves" or further explain what happened during the experience. That would be my dilemma.

And that was the reasoning behind my previous post about the undead, only expressed in a much better way. Thanks for that.

It's great to bump old threads, but it might be wise to avoid those topics of a personal nature connected to original posters who are no longer among the active participants here(for whatever reasons).

It really doesn't matter when bumping old threads about non-personal topics, but, for instance, there's not much sense in raising an old Introduction thread when the member saying hello hasn't been here since July 18, 2003.

In other words, when delving into the dusty, cobwebby crypt of dead threads, it might be wise to see if there are warm bodies still in there with them.

More brains!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Say, a person has been banned, or clearly has not signed on in years. The thread might surround a personal experience. The things that happened to the person might still be very interesting, even if they would no longer be present to "defend themselves" or further explain what happened during the experience. That would be my dilemma.

Mmm a banned member is something totally different. They are central to the thread, yet what would be the use of reviving it if they are unable to post their thoughts about it now?? Im sure a banned member can still log on (infact I know they can Ive seen it happen) but that is probably all, however I have U2U'd banned members before but never sure if they can recieve them. Ive seen banned members threads continue after the OP got banned and the thread soon dies. I think the OP is needed for a thread in most cases, especially if it is about their experiences.

Can you start maybe your own thread based on their thread and provide a link to their old thread. that way your starting a discussion about their thread but not on their thread. I think it would be a bit odd reviving a banned members thread, what would be the use? Kind of like continuing a conversation with a person after they have left the room. At least with a member you know they have the chance to post if they wish.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

But, why do it when the member is unable to post their thoughts? Because I have a hunch we have our own thoughts!

There are people that I knew personally that are long gone from my life but that does not stop me from discussing those events with people I know and have contact with now. Should there be special rules of that class on a discussion board or should people follow their own sense of what's right? Naturally there will be a wide range of sensibilities on what to do nor not to do. The specifics of context will provide a sense of whether or not there is a benefit to continuing without the OP.

I would highly advise against anyone posting anything on the internet, particularly an open discussion forum, of which they wish to remain the sole proprietor. Having that attitude makes one sound alot like the RIAA. Once you disclose any information to anyone, you are no longer in control of that information, thus you turn it over to the sensibilities of another and it is subject to such, regardless of any terms or laws that apply.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join