It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it rude to revive an old thread?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
You know, I'm going to wait about 2 years and bump this one.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Raise them, I say...

(as long as they're not drooling and asking for more paramedics)

There's gold in them thar old threads.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Raise them, I say...

I'm sure you meant pharmaceuticals.
Paramedics are a phone call away........

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I would agree that re-opening an old thread is fair game. Sometimes, threads don't get the attention they deserve anyway (some major event could have happened at the time to not make it as interesting etc). Also, even if the potential to open a can of worms is there, it would still lend a compliment (of sorts) to the thread. Even if you are totally against the topic at hand, I think the Author of the thread would appreciate your interest rather than be upset with you.

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
You know, I'm going to wait about 2 years and bump this one.

I will bump yours on 21 of December 2012

I promise

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
I would encourage it, as a matter of fact. ATS is gaining new members, daily, who might have particular insight of the topic. Sometimes a new pair of eyes is just the ticket to resolve a stalemate. At times, I will U2U a thread to friends or foes, to get an opinion of something I've read, even if it is a dead thread.

I agree with you there WTFover . Sometimes a Posters Afterthoughts on a particular Topic can add more meaning to what they at first tried to convey . I actually enjoy going over the Old Threads just to see if there hasen't been anything New under the sun added in the Real Time ...........

An Admiralble outlook there Sir , a Big star for you IF I could give one .........

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Zanti Misfit]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I love revisiting old threads...mostly political ones. You can see how people's opinions have changed...in just a year. I'm in a completely different place than I was a year ago....and at times embarrassed of some of the previous statements and threads I made. It's amazing what discussion and open mindedness can do to change your view of the world.

It also shows how hypocritical many of the members on ATS have become....especially after the outrage of the bailouts of the banks and wall street....and now many of those same people are now defending them.

It's good to open them back up....don't be afraid!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Originally posted by masqua
Raise them, I say...

I'm sure you meant pharmaceuticals.
Paramedics are a phone call away........

Actually, no.

I was referring to an old movie:

Reviving dead threads can be dangerous.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Wow I am SO glad you started this thread. I always feel really bad about bumping old threads. Like it's taboo or something, and I end up apologizing. I thought it was an ATS no no. lol Glad this has been posted!

I always find myself searching old threads, but never commenting on them because of this "rule" I thought existed. Now I know I can bump to my hearts content. Hmm.. maybe I should rephrase that.

Thanks again for starting this thread!!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Timely post.

I've noticed quite a few old (2-4 years) threads appearing recently.

Made for really interesting reading, considering I was not around for them in their original discussion timeline.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I for one say do the bump! I have run into some very interesting threads that I may have otherwise missed had someone not bumped them!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I don't see anything rude or objectionable in reviving old threads, either by posting or bumping or simply linking to an archived thread in a new thread.

For example, I've got at least one thread — one pertaining to prophecy — that I bump occasionally just to bring it back to the surface, in order to prove that a prophecy from last year is coming true.

Nothing wrong with reviving a "dead" thread at all, IMO.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I always like to see old threads revisited. Call me nostalgic.
I know my posting skills have gone downhill over the years and it's kind of fun to relive the good ol' days.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
.....................No.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

Some people's "thread skills" have increased enormously, and I wondered if they might not appreciate having something they may not be particularly proud of, being again brought to light.

But, I suppose they are fair game. I just don't want to make anybody cringe by seeing a thread they wrote several years ago, and perhaps are glad it died.

Sounds like you have a thread/person in mind here!! Im intrigued!! If it bothers you that you may open up a can of worms (highly possible on here hey lol) then maybe a quite U2U to them might help. I assume they are still on the boards or you wouldnt say the above.

Thats what Id prob do I think.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yea, nobody should have nothing to fear about the past. However some may find it hard to face old beliefs, I myself have threads under another name that I once wanted to see the back of, now I accept the fact that beliefs do change. Things shared over the boards, opinions, research, emotions and feelings, were at the time based on those beliefs.

I think old threads should be brought back to life, I actually enjoy reading through some of my very old threads even though I cringe at some of my comments. You see we humans do like change, but it's admitting that change that's hard for a lot of people. We especially like drama in our lives, don't try to hide it everyone loves the drama.

If somebody wanted to drag up an old thread about me "Thank you" hope you enjoy the ride, it will be as much a learning experience for me as it will be for you.

Chakra Meditation?
Life on the other side of the fence?
Ascension Process?

Have a look I'm sure they will provide many days of entertainment....

[edit on 27-1-2010 by IamNow]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Green

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

Sounds like you have a thread/person in mind here!! Im intrigued!! If it bothers you that you may open up a can of worms (highly possible on here hey lol) then maybe a quite U2U to them might help. I assume they are still on the boards or you wouldnt say the above.

Thats what Id prob do I think.

This is where it gets a little more complicated. There is a member who has several threads I find very intriguing. The member, I see from the profile, signs in and reads almost everyday, but seems to have not posted in a couple of years.

I sent the person a U2U, commenting that I'd read the thread and enjoyed it very much. The return U2U read "Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it".

This appears to be someone who is simply incommunicado, and wants to remain such.

I don't want to overly complicate this matter, and as another poster here indicated, the author has the choice of participating or not.

Too, like Lady Skadi said, when you haven't been on ATS for a long, long time, like me, it's great to see some of these old things turn up; things I might otherwise never have noticed.

But we do need to take notice of the original date, which I haven't thought to do in the past. If I'm posting on a thread that was written in 06 or 08, I want to know it.

[edit on 1/27/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Masqua! This is hilarious. The title could be "Dangers of reviving an old thread". lol.

"Think about your reputation!!!"

"If it's a reanimated body, we'll have to kill it".

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
lol

It is rude to bump an old thread, but if you post a new thread on the same topic, you get yelled at for not searching.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so might as well do whatever you fancy . . . the critics be damned

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
It is rude to bump an old thread, but if you post a new thread on the same topic, you get yelled at for not searching.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so might as well do whatever you fancy . . . the critics be damned

Looking over the responses so far, I'd say that you're wrong... it isn't rude, in fact it's a 'good thing'.

Also, if there is new information on an 'old' topic (like three weeks ago) and you start another thread pointing out the recent developments, then your thread will not be removed. If it is, then you have a right to send in a complaint and ask for it to be re-opened.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join