It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it rude to revive an old thread?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Believe it or not, sometimes I find myself bored, and can't seem to get happy with any of the daily fare.

At times, I will go to a member's profile, someone I typically admire, and begin reading their old threads. Some of these older threads are still very fascinating.

I've thought about commenting on some of them, which I understand would "bump" the thread, possibly getting it back in business.

Is this something ( if we wanted to do) we should run past the author, to see what they would think about it?

Or just do it, if you so choose. I had an older thread that was revived for a few days, and I was pleased.

But not every body may feel that way. What are your thoughts about this?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
They opened the thread for discussion, it's all fair game my dear.

Please feel free, some of these topics are beggin for a re-open. And it prevents you from creating new threads on the same topics which just dilute the boards.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I don't think its rude at all...some of the old threads are great resources and by adding to them it makes them even greater resources, allowing for ease of information. Some of the great old threads also can help "educate" and inspire some newer posters to create quality threads and to keep standards high here.

There are some threads I've read on this board that contain such insight, research, effort, and information that they are almost like published books in their own right. It's a shame to see them drop from memory, and always a pleasant surprise to see them reappear.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's certainly not against the rules and I think from a "netiquette" perspective it depends on the thread.

If it's old drama then maybe it won't be appreciated.

However, I'm always pleased when an old thread of mine is bumped. They never get enough attention.

Most of the time I think this is the result of a search result highlighting a thread that gets responded to by someone who is a registered member (as opposed to a casual reader or google visitor).

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thank you. I was essentially thinking the same thing. But sometimes people's beliefs and experiences change. Sometimes you might re-open a can of worms (but I guess we are used to that).

Some people's "thread skills" have increased enormously, and I wondered if they might not appreciate having something they may not be particularly proud of, being again brought to light.

But, I suppose they are fair game. I just don't want to make anybody cringe by seeing a thread they wrote several years ago, and perhaps are glad it died.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I once commented on a four year old thread and got hell about it from a couple of people.

If anyone complains, send them a U2U from down under and say pissoff mate,.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I would encourage it, as a matter of fact. ATS is gaining new members, daily, who might have particular insight of the topic. Sometimes a new pair of eyes is just the ticket to resolve a stalemate. At times, I will U2U a thread to friends or foes, to get an opinion of something I've read, even if it is a dead thread.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think it's fair game and quite like seeing old threads revived every now and then. And anyway, the OP doesn't necessarily have to get involved in the discussion again if they choose not to.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Silent Thunder and Gools: Thank you. I can get so involved in some of these older threads at times. Wind up staying up half the night.!

They would tend to be the one's that are well written, and I believe in fact would be good examples of what a really good thread consists of. So that's another positive. Yes, ST, I've seen threads too, that I thought could be published. The OP's are sometimes amazing.

Not that these no longer exist....they certainly do. From time to time.

No, I don't think I would revive anybody's drama junk. That would be rude, surely. Those are painful enough to read the first go-round. lol.

So, then, they should just appear. No notice to the author.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I once commented on a four year old thread and got hell about it from a couple of people.

If anyone complains, send them a U2U from down under and say pissoff mate,.

Just curious, but did the complainers include the author? Or the ATS-PTB?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

No, it was people that saw the recent post, read through it and did not realize it was an old thread.

I was going to write a thread and the OP had already written one and I read through it and just left a comment.

I thought that is what we are supposed to do. It was in ATS. No, the OP did not mind. The ones that complained did not bother to read the thread, except for the initial post, therefore they did not realize it was an old one at first.

Couple of whiners is all. Give it a go.

I usually use the MY ATS instead of recent posts.

[edit on 1/26/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I reactivated one of my old threads in order to help another member out.
I don't think there is anything wrong with reviving an old thread.There
could be new info available that could be useful.If other members don't
like it,pass them by and move on.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

HOW DO WE CHANGE THE FUTURE IF WE DON`T ALL LOOK BACK ON WHAT WE HAVE DONE WRONG IN THE PAST . re-examine,rehash ,reflect and review-it is called learning.
as we learn we all tend to change our point of view on the world around us as we are supposed to evolve for the betterment of all of us, and yet we still are hellbent on destroying our selves and all other nations and faiths just so that our HOLY TEXTS become true -the Armageddon or the destruction of the world just so that our priests can proclaim that they were right -SORRY we all have to do something to stop it and the man ,his millitaries ,the churches ,the governments and the corporations have no intend to stop it as it would upset their plans and their apple cart.
to advance we need to learn from our past history and stop making the same mistakes over and over again.
but then we as a species have been led blindly like sheep for so long that most will never see the truth let alone know it as the falsies and lies of the world are all that matters to them as they are safe within their little shells. chicken little said it best the sky is falling the sky is falling and they all ran for cover afraid of the truth .
MEN THINK AND LEARN -SHEEP FOLLOW AS THEY DO NOT THINK FOR THEM SELVES.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by picrat

Hi picrat

You make some good points. Raising the dead threads might not only help to bring to our attention the things we've done right, but also the things we've done wrong.

Some of them are just downright gold!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I don't even think it's wrong to bump your own threads if you honestly believe it needs more attention and perhaps languished because of timing.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Personally...I say bump the old threads. There are some gems from way back and as well, there are some potential gem responses to be had.

Bump the Old Threads!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
To any who would wish to hear of my Opinion, and unfortunately for those who wouldn't, I will share this.

I think it should be considered ATS policy to encourage this.

One way this could be effected is in having Post Title's generalized into a topic, rather than specific to one small point of that topic.

I like playing in the Ancient and Lost Civiliation area, from time to time, and have topics posted such as Thracian Finds, and most recently Mayan figurehead and other finds......

Anytime, I find more to offer, I always attempt to place the new information into such Posts.

To me, it offers a more indepth method of collecting various stories related to the subjects, be it Thrace or the Mayan in these cases, and makes it easier for reviewing subjects of interest for others.

Also for the sake of SPACE and in an effort not to repeat myself over and over, I will link Old Posts, be it mine or others, so that time spent on presenting or respresenting a point of view or opinion doesn;t become redundant.

So I would say, this is a great thing to consider prior to Posting a Topic. Either create a topic which will allow for Flow and Contribution, or selecting a Previous Post and contributing in this fashion.

With that said, it is clear, if they verified a Pyramid was found off the coast of Bimini in 600' of water, and you couldn't locate such a title or old post in a search, then it is clear a breaking story such as that demands it's own attention.

But I would say, this is a good practice we all should encourage

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I don't even think it's wrong to bump your own threads if you honestly believe it needs more attention and perhaps languished because of timing.

Sometimes you can make a thread, and it drops so quickly, it's like "now you see it now you don't." When it's bumped days later, you have people saying "I can't believe I missed this one", and it takes off.

Bumping your own thread is fine with me too. If it turns out it's not interesting or worthwhile, it simply drops again. (Take it from one who knows).

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I read the OP and that's all I'm gonna do............

You can reply to any thread you want.
If you decide to drag a thread out of the Jurassic Period when the Amigos still had hair, go for it.

A topic is never dead until all has been said, and if you have something to add, obviously, there is more to the topic than what has already been posted.

Dig up the old dirt, I'd like to see some of it.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I dont think its rude at all

Ive done it myself in the aliens and UFO's forum, but the difference was I went into more detail and presented some new evidence on the topics.

Its always a good to see other OP perspective on some topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join