It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange, New Aurora Phenomenon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I saw this and thought I would share. I did not see anything related to this using the search function....which is surprising. Anyhow, Here you go:

On Jan. 20, 2010, Per-Arne Mikalsen was photographing a vast aurora erupting over the northern Norwegian town of Andenes.

Because solar activity is on the increase, aurora spotters have many opportunities to see the Northern Lights. On this particular night the aurora was intense, stretching toward the southern latitudes of Norway.

In one of the photographs taken by Mikalsen was an "object" that couldn't be identified. Although Mikalsen had taken several images at the same location, just one photo showed a mysterious green parachute-like object hanging with the main aurora. (This time, it appears that the Russian military was not involved in the making of this strange shape in the sky.)

At first it seemed easy to dismiss the object as a lens flare or a spot on the camera lens, but after further study it became clear that the object wasn't an equipment fault.

Although more research will need to be done, it certainly seems plausible that Per-Arne Mikalsen serendipitously took a photograph of a satellite flare (possibly an Iridium satellite). But rather than sunlight being reflected, it was the green light of the aurora that was bounced back from space and through Mikalsen's lens.

So, the experts believe that this was caused by a "satellite flare" but, what do the ATS "experts" think?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0b59a3f4826.jpg[/atsimg]

For Full Image:
blogs.discovery.com...

Source: news.discovery.com...

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Looks like a "lens flare" to me, but definitely not due to any "satellite flare"... the bright aurora could cause the flare it self, and that is indeed what has happened, or else the "lens flare" would not be green like the aurora itself.

So not a new phenomena IMHO... there were bad lenses, and people left filters on (all of which can contribute to "lens flare") in the past too.

Good find though, and worth a star and a flag, as I have never seen a "lens flare" caused by an aurora before (although I doubt it's the first time it's happened)

Edit: After seeing the full image, I take that back... if it was a lens flare, then the flare usually points back to the brightest part of the light source, which it does not here! It can't be a lens flare as far as I can see.

So, a mystery after all perhaps...

[edit on 26-1-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I'd say the flare is coming from one of the buildings just out of shot, where I've circled:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3c13eca6a6b3.png[/atsimg]

For reference some similar shots:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6360315e065b.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 26/1/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
My first thought was a drop on the lense, but the article says they discounted that. Looks very odd if it is a real phenomenon.

Is it just my tired brain clutching at straws or does it strike anyone else as odd that this was above Norway? You know, considering the spiral/missile.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. So lens flare is the consensus then. It certainly is an interesting one though. Oh, and yes, it is interesting that this happened over Norway...not that I think much of the "Norway spiral"...but interesting nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
In an article I read, they seem to be leaning towards it being a reflection, saying it could be the first reflection of an aurora off a satellite. However, wouldn't the satellite have to be way too low to the ground to make such a large reflection? Either that or it could be a sort of light trail...

If it is truly a reflection off of an object and does not involve motion blur/trail... then I can only conclude that it's an alien flying saucer from Zeta Reticuli.

But seriously... any massive satellites shaped like that?

[edit on 27-1-2010 by NoHierarchy]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There must be a lot of UFOs out at night especially in well
lit areas. The green top seems involved in the negative
ether carriers.
On the photo with so many ground lights I wonder if the photo
was taken to catch intense sky lights seen with the naked eye.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

How about this new phenomenon ?

new topics

top topics

join