It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two For the Price of One: "Dark History of the Vatican"/ " 20 reasons to abandon christianity"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Yeah he said so, so it MUST be true.
20 reason why the OP is wrong
1. the Post is based on Fear
2. The post is wrong
3-20.blah blah blah

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566

5.Christianity breeds arrogance, a chosen-people mentality

lol what if they are a chosen people?

So you believe you are better than non-Christians because of your religion.

again, big difference between fake and real christians

You all can't decide what is "fake" or "real" even amongst yourselves. That says something by itself. And you all use the same evidence against each other and all think you are justified because of it: scripture.

17.Christianity is homophobic

whole other thread

18.The Bible is not a reliable guide to Christ's teachings

sorry to break it to you, but the bible is the ONLY guide to christ's teachings.

Nope. There are other writings from the same time attributed to him that were banned from the Bible by later councils that decided what went in and what didn't.

19.The Bible is riddled with contradictions

sorry, but BS

Here is a whole website for you:

www.infidels.org...

Some examples:

War or Peace?

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen. ...

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. ...

Which first--beasts or man?

GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

The website goes on and on. Denying there are contradictions is just being ignorant of the various (obviously contradictory) teachings of the Bible. Remember these people also believed the Sun revolved around the Earth, or even more primitive concepts of how that all actually works.

20.Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions

pure assumption

Again look up Upnapishtim, for example, which is an earlier version of Noah. And that is only one example. The entirety of Genesis is basically a re-write of Sumerian myths, replacing multiple deities with only one. Which is why the Hebrew version still says 'man has become like us', which is the exact same in the earlier Sumerian version when the gods are talking about wiping out civilization, but the god Enki gives Upnapishtim (Noah) a head's up, and he loads a boat with oxen, etc.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Man this thread is just angry. The Christians are Bible thumping at the nonchristians and the nonchristians think the christians are stupid.

The principals of the Bible, the Christian religon are a good way to live your life regardless of whether or not you believe them. The fact is the Biblstories and Jesus all share similarities with other religons. Jesus isn't the only Messiah born on Dec 25th.

I think the problem is people of faith won't look far enough past their faith to actualy study the subject. Faith is the end all be all and your taught not to question it. The skeptics have no faith. So they don't have the ability to believe anything that isn't right in front of their face. It's an argument that will continue to go around in circles.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
You only need one reason to abandon christianity. It is the same reason for abandoning any other religion.

There * are * no * gods.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
People calling themselves Christians and doing immoral things throughout history show the individual is lacking, not Christianity...

It would be a safer bet to abandon the vatican and keep Christianity if the vatican is dark. The vatican having a dark history does not pollute true Christianity. those persons responsible for the vatican having it's dark history don't represent true Christianity.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Christianity does have suicide bombers as does every other faith. Though you have to take the term "suicide bomber" figuratively in some cases. From my research it seems that all faiths require submission of sorts. Martyr-dom is simply a different form of submission to the cult or religion. More in your face if you will.

As far as the list in the op I would say that these things could be said concerning any person who accepts the existence of a higher power. (with the exception of the one that mentions Christ, and the homophobic one,(that one was a little wierd ), furthermore I believe it is any persons human right to be any of these things on the list, as long as they are not causing physical harm to another.Who are we to rely on our own sense of right and wrong to judge another? Were the human race and we have the right to interact in our physical enviornment as we please. These religions operate in the unseen, I dont. A government has no right to interfere with a citezen beyond a certain point without physical evidence.

Death and maiming of innocents can be and often is accomplished with no explosions, severed limbs or crying children. Killing the minds of our children with imposed limitations under the guise of protection is equally as detrimental as a person that soaks thier underwear in kerosene and sets them on fire in a plane,

[edit on 29-1-2010 by psyko45]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

Oi!
I posted that '20 Reasons...' thing like six times up here!
Well, it's good that other people have found it too.
I believe that it's all true, and there's tons of empirical evidence and dead bodies to prove it.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

Not Christianity but Christendom is the source of the things you've listed.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
ive found myself agreeing with all of these reasons for abondoning christinity... but what religion what someone suggest for me?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
1.Christianity is based on fear

Really? I'm not afraid of god. I'm more afraid of people.

2.Christianity preys on the innocent

How did they come to this conclusion? Last time i checked i am not innocent

3.Christianity is based on dishonesty

Atheism is based on intellectual dishonesty. How are you so sure there is no god of any sort?

4.Christianity is extremely egocentric
What? How did they determine this ? Did they go up to priests and say "hey are you egocentric?" i've met tons of christians with no ego at all.

5.Christianity breeds arrogance, a chosen-people mentality

By that logic atheism and "science" breed an intellectual superiority complex. Any honest christian, like any honest atheist does not consider themselves superior to anyone of any faith. We all sin , some more than others.

6.Christianity breeds authoritarianism
Funny because i am a libertarian and socially liberal and i believe that yhwh is the one true god

7.Christianity is cruel

So is science, and evolution. Atom bombs are not friendly nor is survival of the fittest.

8.Christianity is anti-intellectual, anti-scientific
Really? Answersingenesis.org and god and science.org would disagree. Also i fully embrace evolution and the big bang theory and my wife is attending med-school.

9.Christianity has a morbid, unhealthy preoccupation with sex

Which is why the states with a signifcant catholic population are also the ones most in favor of gay unions. Also there are christian churches that not only hold but endorse gay weddings.

10.Christianity produces sexual misery
LMAO, wow that is some hardcore cherrypicking of data. Who did they interview? shakers? My sex life is freaking amazing and is technically illegal in some states.

11.Christianity has an exceedingly narrow, legalistic view of morality
Really? Because last time i checked there were many conflicting views on what is and is not moral amongst christians as a whole.

12. Christianity encourages acceptance of real evils while focusing on imaginary evils.
Uhhh, like what? Examples please.

13.Christianity depreciates the natural world
No, we are taught to revere the natural world. Gods work is all around us, we must appreciate it. There is beauty in this world beyond our comprehension. It is our duty as christians to preserve it and to understand it so that we may better understand god and ourselves.

14.Christianity models hierarchical, authoritarian organization
Didn't they just say that?
15.Christianity sanctions slavery

16.Christianity is misogynistic
My two best friends are women in fact for a long time all my friends were women
17.Christianity is homophobic
United church of christ and metropolitan community church Are quite the opposite of homophobic

18.The Bible is not a reliable guide to Christ's teachings

which is why a personal relationship with christ takes precedence over anything written in the bible.

19.The Bible is riddled with contradictions

Well duh, it was written by men. I wouldn't be surprised if 400 years from now our science books are regarded as contradictory

20.Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions

Good thing they were there to see the christians blatantly ripping it off and borrowing it.

I'm sorry but this article is vaguer than a grey colored speech on metaphysics. IT's as if they took arguments from an anti-atheist site and just switched out atheist for christian. No intellectually honest atheist or member of another faith should take this seriously.

edit: I forgot to finish my sentence on number 16

[edit on 8-2-2010 by DeathShield]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join