It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two For the Price of One: "Dark History of the Vatican"/ " 20 reasons to abandon christianity"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
A friendly Bird just sung me Two Songs ..

The Dark History of The Vatican

The Content of this wonderful website includes information about the "Dark Secrets" the Vatican holds .. very useful information ..

.. And for the Main Event ..

20 Reasons to Abandon Christianity

1.Christianity is based on fear
2.Christianity preys on the innocent
3.Christianity is based on dishonesty
4.Christianity is extremely egocentric
5.Christianity breeds arrogance, a chosen-people mentality
6.Christianity breeds authoritarianism
7.Christianity is cruel
8.Christianity is anti-intellectual, anti-scientific
9.Christianity has a morbid, unhealthy preoccupation with sex
10.Christianity produces sexual misery
11.Christianity has an exceedingly narrow, legalistic view of morality
12. Christianity encourages acceptance of real evils while focusing on imaginary evils
13.Christianity depreciates the natural world
14.Christianity models hierarchical, authoritarian organization
15.Christianity sanctions slavery
16.Christianity is misogynistic
17.Christianity is homophobic
18.The Bible is not a reliable guide to Christ's teachings
19.The Bible is riddled with contradictions
20.Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions

.. All religion has Its flaws .. but i think sometimes people forget how (for the lack of a better word) "Evil" Christianity is .. I know they do not have Suicide bombers .. but you don't need to kill to be Evil ..

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Polynomial C]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Saying "Christianity" is painting with a broad brush. I think there are probably a lot of varieties that these statements fit, but there are many of us with Christian beliefs, in the sense that we focus on many different accounts of Christ's teachings (Christian mysticism, etc.) that don't fall into these categories.

From my own experience I would say that Catholicism meets a lot of these points, though.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

Looking at these (I love the bibliotecapleyades site even if most of it is silly) I would say I have to agree with many of them.

I don't believe Christ was interested in founding a religion. I think a lot of what modern Christianity encompasses is the "cult of Paul".

I also think Christ would be upset at all the focus placed on Him in the modern world. He said over and over to believe the "Message" and not focus on the person.

Bottom line for me is that Christ said the same thing that the great teachers of history have said. The highest purpose for a human being is to love each other and serve those who need help.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

That dark history site has some pretty wild stuff on it. All about how the Jesuits rule the world and stuff.

I saw the article HERE ARE LAWS IN AMERICA MOST DON'T KNOW, BUT SHOULD and was giong to make a thread on it a while back but found out someone had already beat me to it. (gnashes teeth)

Although in a search today, I couldn't find the thread.

hmmmn....

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Not really. Some may use hell to scare people to Christ, but not all. Many Christians became Christians completely apart from fear.

How so? Christians preach the gospel to all. It's up to each person individually to accept, or reject, it.

Uh...not...really. Are there dishonest Christians? Yes. Just like there are dishonest people in any group. To say that Christianity is based on dishonesty is silly though. Christianity is based on Christ's work for mankind.

There are indeed egocentric Christians, not all Christians are egocentric though. There are also egocentric atheists, Muslims, and so on. Christianity in and of itself isn't egocentric because Christians are called to be a light to the world; which entails caring about the needs of others.

There are also many, many Christians (myself included) that take great interest in what others believe. Of course, there are Christians that don't and only will deal with people that think the same that they do. The same can be said of any group though.

Only in those that are egocentric. Many Christians are humbled by what true Christianity is and what it means for mankind.

I don't see how. Christianity doesn't impose a will onto others forcefully. Christians still have a free will and can choose to do what they please. (Whether that is a sin or not is another question.)

7.Christianity is cruel
Aren't there cruel people in every group? I'm starting to see a pattern here. There is nothing "cruel" about Christianity.

It's only as anti-intellectual and scientific as a person makes it to be; just like in a non-Christian's life. Just go search on YouTube. You'll find some really anti-intellectual things from people from all walks of life.

I don't think so, in all honesty. If one takes the time to spend any length of time in a church, the topic of sex will rarely come up. On the flip side though, non-Christians like to talk about the Christian preoccupation with sex.

Sexual misery? Tell that to the many satisfied Christian husbands and wifes out there. Tell the non-Christians that deal with sexual misery/dissatisfaction that they need to leave Christianity!

Narrow compared to what? An anything goes morality? Then yes. There is nothing wrong believing that a certain way to live is better than another.

True Christianity is very anti-legalism. Christ fought against the legalism of his day.

12. Christianity encourages acceptance of real evils while focusing on imaginary evils
I agree. Christians do accept real evil. I don't know what imaginary evils your talking about. Christians deal with the same evils that everyone else does.

Many Christians love the natural world; it is after all God's creation. Christians know that we're the stewards of God's creation and as such, we need to take care of it.

Some denominations have a hierarchy but not all. There really is no hierarchy given in the Bible, other than pastors lead the church and Christ is the head of all the churches.

Do yourself a favor and read the book of Philemon. Paul telling slaves, who must've already been slaves, how to live toward their masters doesn't really condone slavery.

Oh man. That's good. Christianity breeds hatred and mistrust of women? I think that you're really mistaken.

Some Christians are homophobic just like some non-Christians are. That's not right though. It's wrong that Christians focus and blow out of proportion one sin and forget all the others. But, Christian teaching in and of itself isn't homophobic, and most Christians aren't either.

Compared to what? The Gnostic Gospels, which came many years after the last canonical gospel (AD 90)? I suggest the book Can We Trust the Gospels? It is a good read.

Only to those that don't put any thought into the apparent contradictions that they see. If someone takes the time to really sit down, study, and do some research, all the "contradictions" in the Bible vanish.

20.Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions
Christian traditions may have evolved from some pagan things, (i.e. Christmas) but the faith that is contained in the Bible definitely isn't. It actually seems that some of the pagan similarities to Christianity don't even predate Christianity. In other words, the pagan faiths stole them from Christianity some time after Christianity had been around, not vice-versa, as there is virtually no evidence that what is touted as "Christianity stealing from the pagans!" actually predates Christianity.

Here are couple of videos in case you're interested:

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

You can also just search around for more. There is a plethora out there.

The long and the short of it is, these aren't really objections to abandon Christianity. If they are, then people should leave anything that they're involved in because there are going to be such people in any group. On the more Christian specific issues, there still isn't really much of an argument because, the issues raised don't really represent true Christian teachers or the majority of Christians. Rather, they focus on certain stereotypes of Christians or an extremely small cross section of the whole Christian makeup.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

I also think Christ would be upset at all the focus placed on Him in the modern world. He said over and over to believe the "Message" and not focus on the person.

Christ never said to not focus on him and just his message. Christ was the message.

John 14.6:

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What you are describing is a failure on the part of us imperfect humans, really.

#1 - It's meant to be a religion of love, not fear.

#2 - Not sure why specifically the author thinks Christianity preys on the innocent. We're all human, and so we make mistakes and hurt each other. Those who do this aren't living up to what they're supposed to be doing and would be going against how God wants us to live and treat each other.

#3 + #4 - Can't speak to this because I'm not sure what the author meant by this. But I can say that Christ taught that we are to love our neighbor, to help and sacrifice for each other. So egocentricity and failure to do this is a failing of imperfect people.

#5 - This isn't a right mindset...again a failing of some people. Christianity is supposed to be about sharing God's love for us, and the good news of salvation.

#6 - I don't have a comment about this one, really.

#7 - *People* can be cruel. Murder, lying, cheating, stealing, or other ways of hurting each other are not living in love and peace with each other. We're not supposed to live in ways that harm others (otherwise known in Christianity as sin).

#8 - Faith and reason are not mutually exclusive (contrary to popular opinion), and there have been many intellectual and scholarly Christians throughout history.

#9 - Doesn't that basically describe everyone with hormones?

#10 - This is sad, because it's not at all meant to be that way.

#11 - No, Jesus really strongly called out... the pharisees, I think...for being legalistic like that. We're supposed to go above and beyond that to follow the spirit of morality, not just the "letter of the law".

#12 - Not sure what that meant specifically in terms of what the author meant by "imaginary evils", but evil is evil and something to avoid doing. That includes the evils the author calls "real evils" as well.

#13 - We're meant to be good stewards of our environment. So, we're not supposed to harm the earth. We're also supposed to care for each other spiritually, and people's souls do matter. They live on after death, so that is at least as important as this temporary physical world we live in.

#14 -

#15- Christ came to proclaim liberty to the captives. Forcing others to be slaves isn't right. (I'm sure there are teachings on treating others well and paying workers just wages. )

#16- God made men and women, equal in dignity. There are women ministers. In Catholicism specifically, this is different, however, because the priests acts in the person of Christ, who was male.

#17 - More focused on the fact that it is a union between man and woman that is the way new life can be brought into this world. And of course the belief that this union was meant to be within marriage.

#18 and #19 - Not everything is clear, but it is clear in terms of living in love and charity with others.

#20 - The creation stories and stories of a global flood, and many other things are strikingly similar from culture to culture. Very interesting, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C

The Content of this wonderful website includes information about the "Dark Secrets" the Vatican holds .. very useful information ..

It seems likely that the bird in question was a loon.

I checked out the site that you provided and it seems to fall more into the 'goofy' category than the 'useful' category.

Have you bothered to do any 'opposition research' and see if you can find refutations to the claims made in that site? It's not that difficult.

Eric

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Great post, totally true.

Other people pick at each number telling you why they are wrong or don't apply, but I'll tell you why they do.

'Have faith in Jesus or God will make you burn in fire forever.'

or

'Believe in my God or He will make you burn in fire forever.'

or even better still, historically:

'Believe in my God or I will KILL you and THEN you will burn in fire forever.'

Evangelical Christians will approach anyone, no matter if they are interested or not, and try to convert them aggressively to their own religion. It is a mechanism instilled in people in order to spread the influence and power of the corrupt church and its nonsense "spirituality."

Take the concept of hell being eternal, for example. The original Greek word "eternity" is based on is eon, which literally means an undefined period of time. Which means indefinite, not measured, etc. Not infinite or eternal, which is totally different. There have been many other mistranslations. But are Christians open and honest about this when they tell you you'll burn in hell? No, they'll usually tell you it's forever. Why? Because that's what THEY were told by their church and, like everything else they are similarly told, they believe it on pure faith alone, no critical reasoning involved.

This goes along with it suggesting there are a "chosen people" who consent to "believing in" something and therefore they are "saved" and everyone else is screwed. Therefore Christians see themselves as "better" than non-Christians in that respect.

Goes along with the last one as just explained.

The Catholic Church is the classic example of this. They literally ask for your blind faith in them because they have all the answers and can talk to God and do what God wants but nobody else does. Based on nothing but their own word, as there certainly is no evidence for any of this, it doesn't even make sense, etc.

7.Christianity is cruel

Christianity IS cruel for a number of reasons, a lot of them being the way popular Christian beliefs torment people psychologically who would be victims of this mentality. Homosexuals are an obvious example. "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is still telling someone who is gay that you hate what they do and their lifestyle even though all evidence suggests it is totally natural not to mention it is completely harmless. Why hate anything at all? Because many/most Christians are just hateful people, plain and simple. They will find all kinds of things to hate "righteously" in the name of their religion, and think they are only doing the best. You can look back to the history of Christianity and see that they have literally tortured and killed millions of people in the most gruesome ways, all in the name of their God. People down-play and dismiss this today but they are the exact same mechanisms and ideas and brainwashing at work, ABSOLUTELY no different.

Think about it. If this religion can brainwash you into torturing and killing people and thinking you are still doing God's work, brainwashing you into believing they are any different now than they were then is a piece of cake. Of course they are no different. If the Catholic Church had as much power today as they've had in the past you would be seeing the exact same things happening.

This is obvious considering the fact that no scientific evidence justifies its many of its basic things that you have to "believe" in, that are total "spiritual" nonsense anyway, like God had a baby with a virgin and then killed him so everybody could be "saved." Not only is there absolutely no proof of any such nonsense, it doesn't even make an ounce of sense. It isn't supposed to. It is anti-intellectual. You are just supposed to believe it and as soon as you do, they can make you believe ANYTHING.

Which manifests in all the rules they make about it and try to enforce. For hundreds of years many of these stupid beliefs and ideas were enforced and many, many people were killed for it. Just think, having sex the wrong way, in the wrong position, participating in oral sex, and if the wrong person sees it they KILL you. In the name of God. Yeah, some Godly people these prudes are. Same for people who are negatively obsessed with homosexuality. Get over yourself and let people love each other however they FEEL like doing it, no one is being hurt! (At least against their will in such cases.)

Goes along with what was said about the last point.

There may be a wide variety of moral views between Christians but the "narrow" part of it comes in when they start citing scripture to justify what they say. They can all say something completely different yet find verification of it in scripture, because you can justify all kinds of crap with one part of scripture or another. And because they convince themselves that they can find this, you can't convince any of them that they may ever be wrong. They can only change their own minds if they ever feel so inclined, which they probably won't for a long damned time even when their views create a lot of mental conflict for them on a day-to-day basis.

Like persecuting homosexuals while professing fear for a boogey man devil.

As it teaches that the world is man's and he can do with it whatever he wants. The Catholic Church even condemned the movie "Avatar" because it didn't like how it portrayed human relations to nature in a supporting, positive way.

Again, the Catholic Church. Even the churches that broke away from Catholicism still have power bases and congregations and all that, and still basically hand down mandates of beliefs to people through the ranks. Should spirituality really be like this? Bureaucratic?

It has historically, though I can't say anything about that today. Though it is one more example of why Christianity is NOT moral and has never been.

This is another historical example of the morality of Christianity. Even in scripture women are not treated as equals to men at all.

This doesn't even need an elaboration. Christianity is the single greatest and basically ONLY institution against gays having equal legal rights to relationships to this day.

I have studied Christ's teachings in texts like the Gospel of Thomas which was "banned" from the Bible. Also Paul's writings are a bunch of BS and taken as gospel when Jesus never said anything like a lot of the stuff Paul spews.

There are entire websites dedicated to this. How Christians practically live in today's age also contradicts many of the instructions for living in the Bible, especially in the OT, where it says things like never cut your beard, grow 2 crops in the same field, eat certain foods, etc.

20.Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions'

The story of the flood was borrowed from the earlier Epic of Gilgamesh and the story of Upnapishtim contained within it. Instead of taking 2 of every animal, he simply took his farm animals and a more realistic load in general, but the similarities in the story are extremely uncanny and there are similar stories from all over the world that often predate the Bible.

The saddest thing is that Christians are ready to hear all of this and keep on truckin' like none of it matters in the least, logic and reasoning don't matter in the least, only their FAITH does.

So if you think having faith in a belief is the end-all to all of creation and the whole reason anything exists, well, you're a sucker, what can I say?

I don't care what people believe so long as they don't push their nonsense on me, because I will give them an earful of this all day long so long as they are trying to give me the same.

[edit on 26-1-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
dang, polynomial...about a 9 on the warpath scale....i agree about the vatican being evil. yes

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
Uh...not...really. Are there dishonest Christians? Yes. Just like there are dishonest people in any group. To say that Christianity is based on dishonesty is silly though. Christianity is based on Christ's work for mankind.

There are indeed egocentric Christians, not all Christians are egocentric though. There are also egocentric atheists, Muslims, and so on. Christianity in and of itself isn't egocentric because Christians are called to be a light to the world; which entails caring about the needs of others.
7.Christianity is cruel
Aren't there cruel people in every group? I'm starting to see a pattern here. There is nothing "cruel" about Christianity.

Even in a relative sense Christianity has historically caused much more destruction than other faiths such as Buddhism or native pagan systems. I can't help but think this is a completely fair comparison between different systems professing to have higher knowledge or wisdom for humanity. Such a system that makes such a claim but causes so much more destruction, hate, etc., is bound to also have more problems under its surface and within its very philosophy than other faiths such as the two I mentioned.

Of course a Christian could come back and say that this is the devil's fault, that the devil plagues Christianity because it's the one true religion and doesn't bother the others or give people as much reason to cast doubt on them because he isn't concerned with people who are already "lost." The devil is the perfect excuse for anything that doesn't add up about your religion. You can always just say, oh! The devil was just pulling your leg with that one; he's really damned good at that huh?

[edit on 26-1-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Very nice find, indeed. Religion is one of those things that you will not evolved beyond unless you truly wish to discover the TRUTH regardless of what it may be. Some folks are unable to rid that blanket of comfort yet. It is a shock at first, but when you stop kidding yourself and let the blanket go, you will see how foolish it really is.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
All religions are simply what man makes of them. If you wish to see the true source of evil look no further than a mirror.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
OMG!!!!!! This is UNREAL! You just described 20 reasons to leave the CATHOLIC CHURCH! NOT CHRISTIANITY! Ive been a christian for 35 years and NEVER have these principles been taught im my church! UNREAL...I wish to GOD people would STOP comparing the teaching of the Catholics to other Christian denominations!.....

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BlinkofanEye

Actually a bunch of those apply to all denominations of Christianity.

For example:

1.Christianity is based on fear (if it teaches HELL if you don't conform)
3.Christianity is based on dishonesty (again, blatant mistranslations regarding hell that are STILL not corrected)

Based on the homophobia alone that even non-Catholic sects promote, I could also argue:

7.Christianity is cruel
13.Christianity depreciates the natural world (homosexuality is widely observed in nature)

I know a few of these reasons are redundant, but just saying, it applies to more than just Catholicism.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Did you consider that "If you don't believe in God, you will go to hell" is a warning, not a threat. Much as if I were to say, " Get out of the road, or you will be hit by a car."
Christians...,true Christians, try to spread the word because it is good news. We hope you will take the opportunity to experience the joy and hope and peace that we do.
It still amazes me that so many non-believers try so hard to convince others not to believe in Christ. Some even sound threatened or convicted by something that "supposedly" doesn't exist.
If you say "No, I am not interested"... I say ok. have a good day.
Oddly enough, if they say Christ is make believe, and I say "No thankyou, I'm not interested." Then they seem aggravated and some start flinging expletives and insults... showing me just how happy they are in not following Christ.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Did you consider that "If you don't believe in God, you will go to hell" is a warning, not a threat. Much as if I were to say, " Get out of the road, or you will be hit by a car."

No, it would be more like you saying, "Get out of the yard, the Stay Puft Marshallow Man is about to step on you! And believe everything else I say and give me your money while you're at it."

Christians...,true Christians, try to spread the word because it is good news. We hope you will take the opportunity to experience the joy and hope and peace that we do.

I love joy and hope and peace but I can't stand it when other people will NOT respect my right to free thinking, which has invariably led me to believe time and time again that Christianity is nothing but a load of mythological crap no different than Islam or Greek mythology, with only a few smatterings of common sense here and there (ie love your neighbor, don't kill, etc.).

It still amazes me that so many non-believers try so hard to convince others not to believe in Christ. Some even sound threatened or convicted by something that "supposedly" doesn't exist.

Wouldn't you get annoyed if the Jedi religion or Scientology picked up all over the country and it was constantly being shoved in your face with people fawning all over Obi Wan or L. Ron Hubbard? No? Not even a little?

If you say "No, I am not interested"... I say ok. have a good day.

Bringing it up to strangers in the first place is annoying.

Oddly enough, if they say Christ is make believe, and I say "No thankyou, I'm not interested." Then they seem aggravated and some start flinging expletives and insults... showing me just how happy they are in not following Christ.

Once again I think you are underestimating how truly annoying you are when you pester people in public or anywhere else about private affairs that you have no business with.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

telling a child that he will get himself hurt if he does something stupid is not "teaching by fear". it is an awareness of consequence.

if someone honestly things that a life of debauchery is without consequence, then they are stupid.

there is a key difference between those who call themselves christians, and those who live as christians.

jesus preyed on noone. so this point is moot

"christendom" is dishonest, yes. but i fail to see anything that suggests "christianity" is BASED on dishonesty

so is atheism

lol what if they are a chosen people?

again, big difference between fake and real christians

7.Christianity is cruel

see number 6...

an assumption based on prejudice. newton is just one prominent example to the contrary

again, prejudice

if a christian follows the bible guidlines for sex and doesnt go extreme in either direction, the opposite of this statement is true.

what causes "sexual misery" is disease, unwanted pregnancies, and broken trust caused by lax sexual views.

because christians (amoung other religions) see the line. they understand the importance of morals.

even thieves see the practicality of a moral code. (honor amoung thieves)

what?

you are kidding me right?

true actually. but they accept that the head of this "authoritarian organization" is just and uncorrupt, unlike many of the dictators that liter man's history (i am not talking about the vatican)

no it doesnt.

if you are referring to the mosaic law, they were rules that regulated "slavery" so that it wasnt cruel. and it ALWAYS provided a way out for the "slaves"

comparing biblical slavery and regular slavery is like comparing an elephant to fork. nothing in common

trust me, men dont need christianity to be misogynistic

whole other thread

sorry to break it to you, but the bible is the ONLY guide to christ's teachings.

sorry, but BS

pure assumption

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The Dark History of The Vatican

.. And for the Main Event ..

20 Reasons to Abandon Christianity

7.Christianity is cruel

.. All religion has Its flaws .. but i think sometimes people forget how (for the lack of a better word) "Evil" Christianity is .. I know they do not have Suicide bombers .. but you don't need to kill to be Evil ..

Well... I guess one could say that since you're not a Christian you really have no understanding of what it is and what it is about. So really, your post doesn't mean that much except that you hate Christianity. As for fear, yes there is fear, but only on judgment day for those who keep rejecting Jesus. But for the Christian, life was never better.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Fromabove]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

All that is presented here is opinion!
Your first mistake is thinking the Vatican represents true following of Christ ????LOL
Should I go on....?

Also your list is a list of OPINIONS nothing more...
Did you girlfriend dump you because she found Jesus and now your mad at the world... i mean Christians?

100% OPINION
I'm not on here trying to convert you with every post. Why do you continue this nonsense against something you know nothing about?

[edit on 27-1-2010 by firegoggles]

[edit on 27-1-2010 by firegoggles]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join