It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This isn't our world!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

did you get the idea of this avy from me?
i had it yesterday HAHA

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Look at how we have affected the animals, We have caused them to evolve into something un-natural and has affected the food chain.

I agree to some degree with what you are saying about us all being one!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf 

We have done many wrong things, yes. But it is how this world turns, it seems to be based on us learning from cause and effect. Often, we have to touch the stove top before we understand what 'No its hot' means. Another issue is that we have different levels of awareness in humans, some of them being able to be very empathetic, some of them still very caught up in the self, life of flesh, being numb to the effects of our irresponsibility.

We need to instill general respect more in our children. I think this is really hurting us today, we have so many kids growing up who think technology will save them and that there is endless amounts of Earths offerings. Children need to be taught how to care for the Earth and why to care for it, parents play a part to, for it must be instilled.

I too hope, our time of learning hard lessons has seen its worst....I pray there are not more severe consequences to come.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I totally agree!

Children need to be taught things in school about it. They do in geography to some degree but I feel they need to be shown the true effects as brutal as they are for them to truly understand.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Hah that would be cool!

I Joined greenpeace today, going to a meeting on the 27th
Their campaigns are good, but they don't usually get the message across in a way which I think I could if I was in charge haha!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
All animals which are capable of doing it change their environment to suit their needs.

Having said that, we have only finite resources, we have a polluted biosphere, polluted water tables and course, we produce massive amounts of waste, and consume massive amounts of resources.

We DO need to be more responsible, and we are starting to see the beginning of this.

The problem is that after the 2nd world war, in order to promote economic growth, consumerism became a runaway monster, and we are now having to start the process of re-education in order to try and reverse this, but it has to be done in a way that will not harm societal and economic growth.

Use less packaging?
What about those that manufacture the packaging, and the jobs they create?
You could say the same thing about pretty much any industry.

And that's where a major problem lies - politicians do NOT want to help their countries or their people, they just want to get re-elected, and in order to do that they need to protect their votes, so they won't advocate anything that would potentially increase unemployment.

That's just one example - there are many more, even before we look at the endemic corruption in poilitics and corporations.

As I look around, I am starting to see the beginnings of more and more co-operatives, credit unions, farmers markets etc etc

In order to break this cycle of consumerism in our throw away society, I believe that the power of the corporations must first be broken.

Of course this would mean a period of sacrifice - but do people REALLY need a new phone every year, a new car or TV every3 or 4 years etc etc

Or do they just WANT these things to "keep up with the Jones's"?

We may be enetering a phase of societal growth where rampant consumerism and everything that goes with it ultimately brings about it's own downfall.

But IMO it IS time people stopped looking at money and things as their "god" and started focussing on things that really matter.

Sadly, that opens up whole new can of worms - that of over-population...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Humans=animals. It is just to bad most humans do not think that way. We are nothing more than overly intelligent animals to smart for our own good.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by A-E-I-Owned-You

Stating the obvious...

But I see what you are trying to say!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I can't believe my previous post didn't get a single reply. Especially since this seems to be a cleaning up the earth thread...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

To be honest DaMod i thought your post was Sarcasm...

Well unfortunately most of us are forced to use fossil fuels for electricity. I reduce carbon emissions by eating the cow. My house is over 100 years old. Personal hygiene is a must because I don't want to get boils everywhere and I certainly don't want to loose my teeth. Every creature on earth ejects waste from their bodies. At least my waste goes to a contained sewer system.

That just doesn’t sound serious to me... Especially the bit about eating cow...
sorry if i got it wrong

I do agree that China has to clean up its act BIG TIME... but we can’t keep pointing the finger at others and using that as an excuse to not act ourselves... change has to start at home!!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I can see in some parts what you are saying...

I fear however that people are so used to what they are doing now that they will never change.

This is how sick our species are... We would rather fund a war, than help the starving, we would rather cut down forests which inhabit thousands of species, plus plants which could cure cancer if found, we would rather watch our world collapse than do something about it... This is only a handful of things we do to ruin this planet!

[edit on 5-2-2010 by Wolf ]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Well, that particular part was complete and total sarcasm.. I think MMGW is idiotic and by far not the most important environmental issue. Even non-MMGW isn't as important... Not even on the top 10 list...

[edit on 5-2-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Going off topic a little bit in this post but just wanted to tell you:

Im a singer / songwriter and I actually write songs about things that happen in this world and I am writing one inspired by this thread called:

Flower in a gun or Flower down the barrel of a gun (Still havn't decided)

However I will upload it when I have finished writing it and recorded it properly!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
double post

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf 
reply to post by DaMod

I can see in some parts what you are saying...

I fear however that people are so used to what they are doing now that they will never change.

This is how sick our species are... We would rather fund a war, than help the starving, we would rather cut down forests which inhabit thousands of species, plus plants which could cure cancer if found, we would rather watch our world collapse than do something about it...

Well that, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. What I was talking about is the biggest environmental problems as a whole are due to irresponsible dumping of waste products by certain culprits.

The disposal of waste within the United States is heavily regulated, as it should be. If any of those things where to be done in the states, there would be hell to pay. I submit a solution. Have them clean up their mess.

--------------------------

I think every habitat should be preserved.. The amazon rain forest is no exception, in fact the most important example. I still haven't figured out why hemp paper hasn't become more common place. I've used it before.. I can't tell the difference to be honest.

We do need trees for wood. Where I live in Wyoming wood is the primary source for heating for many people. They would freeze to death otherwise. Gas prices are outrageous. The good news is the forest service is really good about providing downed already dead trees for use as firewood.

We also need wood for lumber no matter how you slice it. We use it to build houses and buildings making it a necessary evil.

The good part about this is most of the lumber we use is pine, and pine is a decently fast growing tree compared to others. We constantly reforest here in the US.

Personally, I think the major issue here is what we use the trees for. Finding alternate solutions to some of these uses is probably in our own best interest. No matter how many alternate solutions we find, we will always need trees for lumber.

Rain forest trees are rarely used for the purposes of lumber (other than to make designer cabinets). It is used for paper. The decision to stop cutting down the rain forest is not yours or mine to make. It is South America's, and unless the U.N. Passes a major sanction re: deforestation, this particular issue will reach this inevitable conclusion.

Reforesting the rain forest is a bit more difficult as there is a much larger variety of vegetation per sq. kilometer, some of which only grows in a small contained area.

Basically, the best way to solve this problem is find a way they can make just as much or more money without cutting down the trees. Easier said than done I know. Personally, I think pharmaceutical research might provide that solution as 75% of the world's pharmaceuticals originated from the rain forest.

We must also look into habitat restoration solutions that don't break the bank. We need habitat restoration solutions in both natural and urban environments. Personally, I think Paul Stamets has by far the best solution, and also other solutions that would change the way we do things, especially in the areas of waste management.

------------------------------------------

I think the largest issue is water. The same water you drink, I drink no matter where you are in the world. Because of natural water cycles, currents etc. it is inevitable that China's water today is our water tomorrow.

People have a tendency to localize things. They think "oh no toxic waste dumping in China's water, oh well I am safe because it isn't my water". How wrong they are. The water on this planet belongs to and is consumed by everyone (human, plant, animal etc.), and water from every inch of the globe will eventually reach every other inch of the globe no matter what.

Doesn't that thought scare you? That one day you will be inevitably without a choice in the consumption of that slime...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I feel you

First if we want to our efforts to have effect.We must get our priorities strait.

It's no secret anymore the climate data used in our models was has been insufficient and sabotaged. This is mainstream knowledge recently.
Here in the Netherlands. and the rest of mainland Europe where I'm sure of anyway.
The consequential results will be huge and all effort on a false asumption will fail and will be a waste of time. Not to mention a public what could if pressured go mental. Realizing they are used end lie to.
Maybe not ? I hope.

It save to say mankind does not have any effect on the climate change, what so ever.
The last decade temperatures stayed the same and carbon monoxide is been observed to be a cause of a warmer climate. Not the source.
Forrest are groing faster do to a higher of carbon. Strange ? No not at all.
Plants end trees did already breath carbon and produce oxygen.
So a better diet could make a tree grow faster.

I read on a few different occasions about the carbon emissions from only 9 giant container ships is as much as every fossil burning personel transport is the same.
I read it and a discusable reliability exist.
Has anyone else a more or better opinion or source ?
If it is true, It is of major importance not to ignore.

So !
Is it even a fact our burning of fossil fuels effect the climate ?
If so. What is the point t drive a expensive electric car and bye more expesive green products. If all your efforts are being reversed with only 1 one year of the life of 9 ships.

It is absolute necessary to know what is happening for real.
This goal will also bring a hell of other problems and issues to be taken care of.

The pollution of the environment is real end work can begin. We have been kept busy with carbon and climate change. The pollution of the Earth has been put on hold. This really gets me mad ! This was and is something we could have done all along.

The last big problem are our own leaders and government to be truth and honorable in their actions.
It must be done first because they are the ones we need to be able to bring the corporations to their knees.

As we know they will destroy and kill for money to spend it destroying and killing us. ( whatever to keep us calm and cooperative ) only to be able to keep on doing what they do.

As for animals and nature being destroyed en killed.
The mining of resources wil be responsible for the biggest part.

Population will decrease when resources and health will be equally given to all people.
Western civilised nations are already stable and show a decline in population.
When the baby boom generation have past away. We would be pretty comfortable.

The grow of the poor will also stop and reverse if they are pulled up to our standards. It simple the need to breed is smaller when you know to be save and cared to death. The same standards means also a life maybe even with no place for a kid. When in poverty you would breed like a rabbit.

Worst of all is the people who use and almost all resources are responsible for our Environment issues the disappearing of resources and the destruction of nature for the mining of the resources.
Speculation about depopulation pointing their finger to the poverty struck nations. because they are the reason of overpopulation. Use the argument 'it would preserve and buy more time before resources wil be gone'
When they them selves are using over 90 % of all resources causing the problems they are confronted with in the first place.

I really want to help save the world. But before society has removed and learned the problems I just mentioned.
It'no use. a waste of time.

I know of course details good be false or different in what I just wrote.
I do trust my conclusion. And there must be certainty first. Before we act.

What ever we do before we change ourselves and our society. Removing the control and start from scratch. a clean plate for everybody.
No loans. No dept and legislation for the possibility of happening again.

I agree with you 100 % but I hope you thought about a few good ideas to accomplish our goals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join