It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party Disputes Take Toll on Convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

A Tea Party convention billed as the coming together of the grass-roots groups that began sprouting up around the country a year ago is unraveling as sponsors and participants pull out to protest its expense and express concerns about “profiteering.”

The convention’s difficulties highlight the fractiousness of the Tea Party groups, and the considerable suspicions among their members of anything that suggests the establishment.

The convention, to be held in Nashville in early February, made a splash by attracting big-name politicians. (Former Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska is scheduled to deliver the keynote speech.) But some groups have criticized the cost — $549 per ticket and a $9.95 fee, plus hotel and airfare — as out of reach for the average tea partier. And they have balked at Ms. Palin’s speaking fee, which news reports have put at $100,000, a figure that organizers will not confirm or deny.

Yep, it's all about the money. You get a group of people together and there is always another group out there looking to exploit the situation to their advantage and make a few bucks in the process.

I was always a bit skeptical about the TPM being a grass roots movement.

Interesting days ahead for the TPM.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Sadly, I believe the TPM WAS a grassroots movement, but before the tiny seedlings could take hold, the GOP came in with a lawnmower and smashed everything to smithereens. I doubt that 5% of the "movement" are real tea partiers. This is a GOP branch.

A grassroots movement doesn't hire the most popular GOP leader, who's enmeshed in Washington politic$ and the political elite to give their keynote address. And they certainly don't pay their speaker $100K!

That is NOT a grassroots movement...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm not surprised in the least that there are people trying to turn a profit off the Tea Party movement. At over $500 a ticket, it's rather blatantly obvious that this is nothing more than attempt to make money off the frustration many people are feeling. The founder of this particular group saying they are a for-profit organization only confirms the obvious.

The movement itself and most of the people involved truly are a grass-roots movement. A snake in the grass doesn't change that. Everyone just needs to be aware of who they are working with to prevent the snakes from taking charge and turning the whole movement into something it's not.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This article exemplifies the repugnant fact that corruption no matter the amount of profit, always starts out small and once people know there is money to be made, it becomes all about the money.

This is what is inherently wrong with America these days. It's all about making money and when the making gets easy, you begin surrounding yourself with those that will help you make more money and while you share the ability to make money, everyone that you share the ability to make money has to want to make money and this goes on and on until someone gets caught by the law and then there is a cover-up because of course no one wants anyone to know their so called professional pursuits are really just about making money.

We see that corruption and the quest for more and more money at all costs. When it begins to undermine the purpose of the Tea Party, it must make the establishment laugh to realize we will never be a threat to their power because they can begin to corrupt us wherever we are by just using money as the motivator. I am sure they also think they can bribe us for less money than it takes to bribe one of the so called elite elected representatives.

The enemy is corruption and once bitten by the vampire of greed, everything becomes about getting more and more until these criminals become blind with power and greed at all costs. The Tea Party has some challenges, but it also seems that the American public has some challenges as well. The America public must put a wooden stake into the heart of corruption in America because if we don't, the beast will continue to rise up and destroy everything that is good and decent.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I whole heartedly agree. The republicans were losing too many to it.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It's far more difficult to have a group of people behind a cause, agree on everything than say... a group who are behind a person, or political candidate.

You see, opinions are like exhaust pipes; everyone has one. In fact, if people had as many exhaust pipes as they do opinions, we'd all be more exhaust pipe than person.

In a group following a cause, all those exhaust pipes... read: opinions, are out there and it really makes a mess. But when there is a person being followed, there is only that single person's opinions, read: exhaust pipes, that are being heard nd everyone else's exhaust pipes are quiet while they are listening to the single one.

When the US of a was originally founded and there was a convention called to hammer out a constitution, there was a lot of exhaust pipes, read: opinions. It was a mess for a sepell but... it all got worked out.

Tea partiers are no different than anyone else. They all have opinions just like each has that exhaust pipe.

In fact, your OP was something of an opinion too...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think everyone should start a cream and sugar movement to counteract the TPM.

I went to several Parties in the smaller community I am in. 250k population.

Yes, the 2 party snake Must destroy the movement or actual change could occur. The Dems and Repubs cannot allow their monopoly on power to change now. Just when they are THIS close to complete tyranny and control. We all saw the Republicrat back the Demoncrat in a recent election when the 3rd party candidate was going to win.

Go two party snake, you can destroy the US if you put your backs into it!

[edit on 1/26/2010 by endisnighe]

new topics

top topics

join