It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man buried in Haiti rubble uses iPhone to survive!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

U.S. filmmaker Dan Woolley was shooting a video about poverty in Haiti when the earthquake struck. He could have died, but he ultimately survived with the help of an iPhone first-aid app that taught him to treat his wounds.

After being crushed by a pile of rubble, Woolley used his digital SLR to illuminate his surroundings and snap photos of the wreckage in search of a safe place to dwell. He took refuge in an elevator shaft, where he followed instructions from an iPhone first-aid app to fashion a bandage and tourniquet for his leg and to stop the bleeding from his head wound, according to an MSNBC story.

Read More www.wired.com...

Wow!

That's quite amazing no? I mean, with all the bashing about stupid useless apps in the AppStore, I think it's the first time I see something that "amazing" and covered by the news!

I would really hope to see more of these kind of apps. I know there is alot of Apps like this, I have some on my iPhone, but if Apple can manage to "encourage" (sorry don't know the word in english..) the programmers to do more of those, it would really be awsome.

I hope this wasn't posted before, I know it's one week old, but I just saw it!

Thanks all

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If only McCandless had an "edible plants" app he wouldnt have poisoned himself in the middle of nowhere.

I used to mock these sorts of 'apps' and the yuppies who discover them as though the notion of treating shock on your own was some novelty but I suppose in the end if it makes more folks more aware of a general concept of first aid it's a benefit. Like the free real first aid and CPR training done all across the country by the Red Cross and others is unheard of? For little more than a commitment of time any one of us can be trained as an EMT. It's worth it. It you havent yet I suggest you do it. The worst part is the time spent in the ER observing.

Though, I imagine, it's only a matter of time before one of the makers and Apple itself are sued because some moron took the app as gospel or misinterpreted something in the app and ended up severely hurt of killed.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yeah I completely agree with you!
Thanks for replying!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It is said the mcandless did not die by eating unedible plants in fact there was nothing in his autopsy that confirmed it, just another spin by the film maker, just like this, I wonder if this man is connected with apple? all these talks about these apps helping people, I cant help thinking that its one big advertisement.

We all know apple aren't to be trusted don't we?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Mccandless didn't die from eating a poisonous plant - he died from eating the wrong part of an edible plant. Quite easy to do especially if you're plant guide does not have reliable or complete information.
The ONLY wild edbile field guide I trust COMPLETELY is the Peterson's guide to Wild Edible Plants. Every other guide I've read had one or more mistakes in it.

Seriously though, this guy needed an Iphone ap to know how to make a bandage?
Sounds more than an advert for apple than reality.

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
what if your iPhone gets destroyed? Then your f***ed. Like I always say, while apps can be useful why not just learn it?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I honestly don't think it's a viral add..
Still, maybe you guys are right, but the point of the topic was to point out how maybe the what we think is "kid things" or "useless apps" could turn into some really interesting and very usefull accessories for our everyday life!

Thanks again tho for answering!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Awesome! I am going to show this to the idiot at ATT who tried to make me buy a Blackberry! He threw it on the ground like an idiot but what he doesnt realize is I am a HARDCORE Apple fan
so it didnt work. I have the iPhone and I love it! I have used many apps for many different things that turned out to be useful or helpful. I love my French translator and dictionary. It helps when I want to practice my French
I am glad this guy survived just by using an app on his phone, that is amazing IMO.
S&F!

woohoo for Apple!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES OF HAITI EARTHQUAKE

Viewer discretion advised.

cryptome.org...

Are we still humans after watching this happen and do nothing?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by user22009

This is about someone using their iPhone to get medical help, not graphic pics of Haiti....

I am human and no I wont help them. I dont know where u are from but I live in the US and it bothers me to see people losing their homes and jobs and not being able to support their families because our govt is greedy. Looking at that bothers me more than the earthquake pics and nobody does nothing. Yes people died and it's sad but I would rather start at home first.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thanks for your posts!
And yes, me too, I am a die-hard apple fan

Thanks for the S&F!

P.S. Please don't post pics of haiti,etc. the thread is NOT about this.
Thank you!

CX

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

My thoughts exactly.

Most adults with half a brain cell know at least a little basic first aid these days, at least i thought they did.

CX.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

My thoughts exactly.

Most adults with half a brain cell know at least a little basic first aid these days, at least i thought they did.

CX.

Knowing how to react and to do some bandages / survive in some extreme conditions like there was during the Haiti earthquake is something very different than what we think.

Just imagine.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I can see Apple using this story to advertise ,lol

I have a touch, so with no wifi around, would not do me a bit of good,lol

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
I can see Apple using this story to advertise ,lol

I have a touch, so with no wifi around, would not do me a bit of good,lol

Yeah but you can put a "Emergency kit" kind of App on a Touch, without needing the wifi
- alot of apps DON'T depend on the internet!

CX

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jolois

Originally posted by CX

My thoughts exactly.

CX.

Knowing how to react and to do some bandages / survive in some extreme conditions like there was during the Haiti earthquake is something very different than what we think.

Just imagine.

True, and a very good point.....however the guy had enough sense about him to use his digital camera for light, then take pictures... and then use his iphone to look for stuff on it.

Maybe you're right, and maybe this was a film maker who sees an opportunity when he sees one? Wouldn't be the first.

Either way, he was lucky to get out of that.

CX.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by jolois

Originally posted by CX

My thoughts exactly.

CX.

Just imagine.

True, and a very good point.....however the guy had enough sense about him to use his digital camera for light, then take pictures... and then use his iphone to look for stuff on it.

Maybe you're right, and maybe this was a film maker who sees an opportunity when he sees one? Wouldn't be the first.

Either way, he was lucky to get out of that.

CX.

Yep, you're right.. I guess we will never know

And yes, he was lucky to get out of it, I agree!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
lol
i can't help but be reminded of that episode of the Simpsons where Principal Skinner gets stuck in his garage by an avalanche of junk and uses the vacuum cleaner retractor cord to free himself. Kudos to the guy for taking care of business, but this has all the hallmarks of crappy self absorbed advertising written all over it.

brill

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
lol
i can't help but be reminded of that episode of the Simpsons where Principal Skinner gets stuck in his garage by an avalanche of junk and uses the vacuum cleaner retractor cord to free himself. Kudos to the guy for taking care of business, but this has all the hallmarks of crappy self absorbed advertising written all over it.

brill

Yeah.. maybe

top topics

join