It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Thread Voting System to be removed...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
One annoying way to keep it a little more accurate is by having a window pop up and saying "Are you sure you want to vote X?"..

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A
or
Would work great I think. I do like the idea of some sort of voting system even though before I came to this site, it was a totally alien concept to me. First time I have ever seen it, and thats part of why this system you all have here is so unique, but like I said, don't matter if any voting is involved, I'll still post. I did enjoy watching my own threads being voted on too, so thats part of why I am sad to see it go. In a way, it was helping me to judge what I could post that people enjoyed.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Any system of voting is always going to be subjective in terms of both the reason and direction for the vote and the weighting it gets.

We've all seen I know excellent topics with well presented ideas that have been voted down because the stance taken by the author or subsequent posters is unpopular. It may have little to do with the quality of the subject matter or analysis.

Bye bye thread voting!

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
thread scores influence the weak of mind. like they need any more help? ratings had the effect of qualifying a thread based on a few voters' opinions.
bye bye subjective bias.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I like the fact of seeing the threads on the forum page. Maybe instead of voting 1-10, maybe most recomended threads? Recomend- Yes - No. They haven taken me to posts I might not have seen or read....But the rank thing MUST go.

jra

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I too was just thinking of having a
or
voting system. I was guilty of voting 1 or 10. I think the 1 - 10 options was just too much. Simplifying it would definately be the way to go if it were to stay. Of course there is going to be bias votes. That happens with any kind of voting anywhere. I don't think you can really avoid that.

Perhaps also having it so that you can't keep voting every 4 days or whatever it was. Give the option to change your vote if you feel the thread is going up or down, but to be able to keep voting every few days i think allowed more baised numbers in the ranking.

As long as the voting doesn't affect to the post itself other then showing the general opinion of people on this board then I think the voting is fine.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
How about leting people "recommend" a thread? If you didn't like the thread or had a grudge against the author, you wouldn't have to do anything. The number of times it's been recommended would be displayed and there would be no extremes or voting negatively, only if you liked it.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I will come out and say that I have voted 1's or 10's in the way described...I knew everyone else was doing it, so in order to boost threads the most that I liked, I gave a 10, and those that imo were trolling or biased garbage with no proof to back any claims, I would give a 1. I think this is THE only way to do an online voting system...if you don't like a thread of course you want to drop the rating as much as you can, or boost it if you like it...8000 votes were made this way, and I'm the only one admitting it, but I think it is the best way. A better voting system would just be thumbs up or thumbs down, or else just have a positive vote feature, so if you don't like it you don't vote, but if you do then you just give it a positive...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join