America Increasingly Looks Like A Developing Nation As 30% Of Americans Rapidly Approach Poverty

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...

This is quite amazing.

"A shocking report from Brookings exposes just how massive America's poverty problem is. While substantial reductions in poverty were made during the 1990's, America's poor have been rocked by the dual economic downturns since 2000.

The result is that poverty grew at twice the rate of U.S. population growth from 2000 - 2008, and now encompasses 39.1 million Americans."

[edit on 25-1-2010 by leo123]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Yeah, McJOBS & Wal-Jobs are even going away. Some of the most die hard Dems at work see this as a writing on the wall.

The ONLY way to pull out of this is implement "FAIR TRADE" Import Tariffs. Nothing else can be successful, it is common sense unless we want to lower our standard of living to that of the slave & prison labor seen overseas.

Walmart To Lay Off 11,200 Sam's Club Staffers
by The Associated Press
www.npr.org...

[edit on 25-1-2010 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
reply to post by leo123

Yeah, McJOBS & Wal-Jobs are even going away. Some of the most die hard Dems at work see this as a writing on the wall.

The ONLY way to pull out of this is implement "FAIR TRADE" Import Tariffs. Nothing else can be successful, it is common sense unless we want to lower our standard of living to that of the slave & prison labor seen overseas.

I don't think protectionist tariffs are the answer, but I do belief we are experiencing a massive unwinding of debt and general deflation.

IMO these symptoms are not the problem, they are part of the solution.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Look, we cannot compete with $6,000 or less a year labor with no restrictions. If the U.S. doesn't have anything to trade we die.

Simple deduction. "Fair Trade" not "Free for them not for us" Trade is the only answer... Unless we suddenly can "produce" something here that cannot be outsourced that the world wants... otherwise continued deficit spending until crash...

"IRRESPONSIBLE" capitalism running rampant... what do I mean... well let me say it point blank - When Profit completely trumps National Security, National Sovereignty, AND The PEOPLE of the United States, then we have a big G*d D@mned Problem! We would NEVER let the Soviets or anyone else be a primary supplier of Steel, Manufactured Goods, etc. yet we have allowed China to fill this role, in return they use slave & child labor and artificially keep their currency low. THIS will destroy the U.S. Economy UNLESS we implement "Fair Trade" Tariffs. Failure to implement Fair Trade tariffs WILL result in the LOWERING of the standard of living in America down to the standard of the competition if we are EVER again to compete. We supply the world with almost NOTHING now. Our wealth has been given away to foreign interest in the name of "Making a Buck & Profit Margins" for the Elite and Damn the people of the United States because the Elite can now live anywhere in the World they want after the U.S. is a broken hull. Another recent example of the insanity recently are all of these "so called" green jobs.... well guess what, THEY are being outsourced to China as well. IF WE DON'T MAKE anything to trade and nobody has a damned job and can't afford "services" (which are being outsourced as well), we spiral into bankruptcy!

YOUR investment or profit margin CANNOT be allowed to destroy the National Security of this country! This would be called subversion and treason in the past. Many people have been prosecuted and executed for knowingly undermining the security and stability of the United States for money.

Do you disagree? What is your solution?

Here are mine:

Here are my plans. (Note: I am making up the titles)

Rule #1 America First: For the people (Of the USA) By the people (Of the USA) Don't forget where your allegiance lies (elected officials).

Rule #2 ALL PRODUCTION / MANUFACTURING of materials used for these Government Stimulus / Public works projects which are being paid for (eventually) by the U.S. taxpayer money must be manufactured IN the United States of America. (Otherwise everything would be outsourced to China)

Step One: Federal Mortgage Refinance Act of 2010

Any private citizen's primary home (primary residence only) mortgage can be refinanced by the Fed or Government at 0.5% with a flat closing cost of $2,000.00 which can be added to the loan / payoff amount. ($500.00 goes to Federal, $700.00 goes to State, $500.00 goes to city or county, $300.00 goes to the institutions processing the paperwork.) No assessments, simple change in financing on whatever you currently owe. Banks receive a flood of money in "pay-offs" as each mortgage is refinanced through the Fed / Govt or fannie

Mortgage holders will save almost 50% of their current mortgage payments and THIS will highly boost spending and the economy. (Thus create jobs as spending dramatically increases and provide a host of short term jobs for the mortgage brokers / reps. States and Local revenues will receive the necessary influx of revenues to get past this rough times.

Step Two: Energy Independence Act of 2010

Federal Money is used to build a HUGE facility in New Mexico to grow Algae oil for domestic liquid fuel consumption. Closed system algae bio-reactors can produce 20,000 to 100,000 gallons per acre per year (for reference corn provides 18 gallons an acre per year, over a 1,000 times less fuel).

This would be a huge public works project requiring pipelines from the ocean needed to reach New Mexico for water. Glass can be made at location (sand) and glass vertical tube closed system bio-reactors constructed to include processing and refining facilities. Any extra water can easily be put through solar distillation and piped to your city of choice as clean water. Rail lines, barracks, roads, support, etc would also be required and the whole thing could be managed by the military with 6 month assignments of active duty personal to oversee the operation and civilian workers bused in and rotated (similar to working on oil platforms currently). Through constant expansion, 1/10 of the state of New Mexico would be utilized to harvest and process the product (carbon neutral liquid fuel).

Rules would have to be in place that the "product" is domestic use ONLY and would not be available to paper traders to speculate on price, etc. Once this is up and running as a NON-PROFIT entity, the cost of the product would be production cost + X% with the X% going to Federal Revenue. Once domestic needs are met, any excess would be sold on the open market.

Garbage Plasma facilities set-up at ALL major landfills. (No need to explain, see Youtube.com

Implementation of "solar-cell" easy-roll roofing materials massed produced in the U.S. (only by law) utilizing current Welfare (now work-fare) recipients who work 20 hours a week as well as "voluntary" prison labor (at their own secured facilities). Voluntary meaning that general prisoners (not your nutcases) can work if they want to for say $2.00 an hour paid in US savings bonds that they receive upon release (better to get out with a few thousand $ than nothing).

Step #3: America FAIR Trade ACT of 2010

Probably won't get great response on this one but common sense should tell everyone we cannot maintain our standard of living if the Chinese (and others) have a very unfair competitive advantage if we do not levy FAIR tariffs on imported goods. We cannot compete with labor cost of $6,000 a year on average vs. Our $45,000 a year. Get a clue and levy FAIR Tariffs!

Step #4 Welfare / SSI Disability home-worker / teleworker program.

Yeah, you may have a bad back that keeps you from heavy lifting or you may be a 3rd generation welfare mom but it doesn't matter, YOU can work from home now processing orders / paperwork and taking queued inbound phone calls. I am sure we can find quite a few Federal / State or even local government work that needs to be done that is currently outsourced to a foreign call center or similar.

Step #5 New Farming Subsidies Act

Pay farmers (well farming corporations nowadays) NOT to grow food? Are you crazy, have them grow seed and food at a fair price that is sent to a government cannery which cans the food and is utilized by Government entities (military, school lunch programs, etc.)

Step #6 Container Inspection Act of 2010

ALL shipping containers entering the U.S. will be inspected. An inspection fee will be assessed (whatever price / tariff needed to cover the cost) on all containers entering the US or any cargo coming in via land from Mexico / Canada. We will call it the "price of doing business" in the U.S. and we can employ 10's of thousands of people to make this happen. This need to happen for the sake of "National Security".

[edit on 25-1-2010 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

The ship of state has already hit the asteroid like the Hindenburg. We are in icy waters, but as we swim to shore, look out!

Anyway, there are problems. This country needs honest, and decent people to work together to solve these problems.. Unfortunately, not enough people are here that can come together.

Ron Paul feels that the US is being run by the CIA. Look at what the KGB did for the USSR.

Well, take care.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Remember this date.
Very soon , you will look at this date as "the good ole days"

When the next round of Mortgage defaults start, those people, and the
people hanging on by their finger nails from the first round of defaults,
will sink the housing market to new lows.

It's going to get a lot worse yet, cross your fingers the Commercial Bubble
doesn't pop anytime soon .

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Remember this date.

What date is that ?

Did I miss it?

2012?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It's my understanding that the second wave of Mortgage resets are hitting in '10-'11 both residential and commercial... so the defaults should begin relatively shortly... watch the second bubble pop and hang on for the ride...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Remember this date.

These are not and never will be to me "the good ole days" what's coming will be much better than this crap we have now, only the strong will survive, the rest will parish the Planet will bounce back from it's stripped resources...this renewal will come, hate it or love it, you'll never stop it. Maybe from your perspective this will be the "Good ole days".

[edit on 25-1-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Thats what happens when the government controls everything .

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Man....I havent kept up with the econoy or the news its all the same to me....but I wasnt expecting anything to get better.
Great time to be of the age to decide if ya wanna go to college
Esepcially when in 4 years we might not even have an economy....
QUICK someone tell the governent to start another war

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
We need jobs (makes no sense to try to make some just to be outsourced), some health care reform, and some monopolies broken up.

We've been so anti-protectionist for so long, maybe we went too far. I mean, America seems to need some protecting right now, eh?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

[EDIT: I had typed ''Leo'' here instead of Infolurker] Infolurker, those are some good ideas! Why aren't you in power? There must be something about those good ideas that translate to bad in some other hierarchy. I mean, on the surface, that all sounds really good. Why not do it?

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Cabaret Voltaire]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

Strange question... All I can say is "It's not my time".

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
infolurker, your ideas are good, but you missed one CRITICAL change: get rid of the economy-sapping income tax system based on Title 26, the Internal Revenue Code.

Our current income tax system have these issues:

1) It costs way over US$350 BILLION per year in compliance costs.
2) We have the second-highest corporate income tax rate in the world.
3) The tax code favors debt financing over cash financing--we all know how well that went!

4) We have among the lowest personal savings rate and investment rate per capita in the industrial world.
5) Tax evasion is a SERIOUS problem. Some economists estimate around US$15 TRILLION iin American-owned liquid assets either participate in the underground economy or funneled out of the USA (using both legal and illegal means) to offshore financial centers located beyond US borders (care to explain all those "banks" in various Caribbean islands?), all in the name of tax avoidance.
6) American companies have outsourced many millions of jobs as a tax dodge.
7) Our tax code has been seriously abused by our Federal government to favor or punish even the smallest constituencies.
8) The IRS tramples on privacy rights on a huge scale in their efforts to collect past due income tax payments.

We need to repeal the 16th Amendment and start all over again with FairTax (H.R. 25/S. 296), which stops the issues I mentioned above and because we no longer impose taxes on the process of earning money, results in an economic boom of unprecedented scale as most of that US$16 TRILLION now out of the US financial system returns to the USA, foreigners will do a gigantic "land rush" to put their savings and capital investments in the USA, and millions of jobs return to the USA, all under better tax circumstances.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SactoGuy001

Ah yes,

My tax plan is simple... consumption / sales tax. You buy you pay, you buy anything, you pay. A simple % sales tax, the more a dollar changes hands, the more revenue... It is so simple and so fair that I do not understand why anyone in their right mind would not implement it.

Everyone spends, Rich spend more than poor, Corporations spend money on everything, a complete equal and fair tax and one that would bring in a ton of revenue.

Now you have a glut of IRS agents. Use them... you can downsize overtime by attrition but in the beginning, turn them loose on the existing LARGE tax dodgers.

Everyone wins. (except tax preparation / tax accountants).

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I have lived my entire adult life in "poverty" I get so tired of the word carrying a negative connotation. I have lived on 400 dollars cash a month. It was not the end of the world. It caused me to become very creative and resourceful, and I am not a debt slave. What is so bad about poverty in the USA anyway, it is plenty to survive on:

aspe.hhs.gov...

Persons in family Poverty guideline
1 $10,830
2 14,570
3 18,310
4 22,050
5 25,790
6 29,530
7 33,270
8 37,010

I swear, some people think "being poor" is such a shame and a bad thing. It's not, sadly we are conditioned here in the usa to be consumers and materialistic.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Hey, being poor sucks! And TRUST me I know. (Though I have found it a GREAT motivator)

Wondering if your electricity is going to be shut off. Running an extension cord from your neighbors house so you can have a light. Not being able to get to work because your car is broken and you have no money to fix it. Paying anything becomes a financial strain. Living paycheck to paycheck and borrowing money for the basics of life to get by until the next week. Eating fried potatoes almost every meal because there was nothing else. I have done it, I have spent a great deal of effort to move beyond it and damn anyone who tries to drag me back down into it. I make my destiny and do not want to see everything I have go bye bye because some idiot politicians sell out the whole country to foreign interests in order to enrich themselves.

But YOU are right about one thing... What we call "poor" in America is a freeking dream in most of the world. Most of the world would kill you to be "poor" in America. I don't have to be rich but a certain level of economic security where a car repair doesn't drive me to bankruptcy is something I need. I can live poor but really prefer NOT to.

Being Poor in America still puts you in the Top 10% of wage earners in the World.

And FYI - Insight, Smoothstone, Charter, and Humana are ALWAYS hiring customer care / call center reps in Louisville and you will Gross over $400.00 a week at least.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I have no doubt about it.
What makes me fume, besides the treasonous govt and corporate policies killing the country is the jackass media. Even though I only tune into cable or network 'news entertainment' for short amounts of time I end up seeing characters like (for instance, AGAIN today) Ali 'the moron' Velshi interviewing Lakshman "corporate hack' Achutan and the incessant bullsh*t that "there are still signs of economic rebound" etc. How anyone can listen to that media crap day after day, month after month, and now year after year is beyond me. Anyway, i'll tune it out at that point and watch some pre-recorded CSPAN from the morning show.
Even CSPAN has greatly disappointed me in recent times as they avoid many real and critical issues such as poverty, homelessness, unemployment, expansion of wars, etc. They're not doing the country any favors having on the American Enterprise Institute, The Heritage Foundation, The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, The RAND Corporation, The Brookings Institution, and other political and business strategy think tanks that focus primarily on war planning & strategy, corporate looting, and maintaining the overall status quo.
I'm really starting to get pissed off

top topics

join