It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moviegoers applaud Prop. 8 film critical of LDS Church

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Moviegoers applaud Prop. 8 film critical of LDS Church

www.sltrib.com

Some in the audience cried when hearing stories of gay men and lesbians recounting discrimination they have suffered. Others hissed when Utah Eagle Forum President Gayle Ruzicka appeared on-screen, or when State Sen. Chris Buttars, R-West Jordan, appeared to declare homosexuality "the greatest threat to America going down."

Mostly, though, they applauded and cheered Cowan's film for presenting evidence of the LDS Church's work to persuade its members to donate money to the campaign for...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The irony of having the Sundance Festival in Utah is simply mind-numbing in this case. I truly hope that many get the chance to see this film and therefore realize how religiously motivated the Prop 8 proponents were. We have the separation of Church and State in this country for a very good reason, and in this case the LDS Church not only negated that separation, but successfully so... At least for the time being. Ultimately, it will be up to the Supreme Court, as Proposition 8 faces many legal challengers, and the fate of Prop 8 will ultimately effect the very Unconstitutional Defense Of Marriage Act (DOMA).

www.sltrib.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I spotted this awhile back and found it interesting

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Since this thread got zero attention, I thought I'd give a response. I am not a Mormon, or a member of any other organized Christian or other religious group. However, members of religious groups are well within their constitutional rights to contact other members and ask them to vote one way or another on certain issues, just as LGBT people are, and believe me, you don't want it any other way. As soon as laws are passed restricting certain groups from advocacy, you may find yourself in one of those groups. Always keep in mind that there are a whole lot more committed Christians, LDS and otherwise, than there are gays/lesbians. Instead of trying to suppress their voice in society, just use your own. Otherwise I can guarantee it won't work out well for your side.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I thought churches were forbidden from getting involved in politics because they enjoy tax exempt status. Have I been misinformed? I've always been told that churches couldn't compel their congregations to vote one way or the other. In this case, LDS did just that.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ivorywire

Yes. To receive tax exempt status a church/pastors cannot endorse a candidate or be politically active for or against. Even Pat Robertson's old Christian Coalition ran afoul of the IRS, with their voters guides distributed in churches.

Here's one interesting source

new topics

top topics

join