It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC News Report on Alien Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Did anyone see this? I was up as I couldn't sleep, time was about 4am i think and bbc news had a report with pictures about alien life and how humanity should take into consideration preparing for alien life to be discovered.

I make this thread because the reporter said the full story is on bbc website but I can't see anything.

If anyone else saw this in u.k any info would be good.

Now im usually quite a level headed person but it does feel like something big is going to happen this year? Or is it just sheer wishful thinking?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Do you mean this article?
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kurtcobainuk

news.bbc.co.uk...

The chance of discovering life on other worlds is greater than ever, according to Britain's leading astronomer.Lord Rees, the president of the Royal Society and Astronomer Royal, said such a discovery would be a moment which would change humanity.

It would change our view of ourselves and our place in the cosmos, he said.

His comments come as scientists gather in London for an international conference to discuss the prospect of discovering extra-terrestrial life.

This you mean?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The report also showed a picture of a space with something green, like a green star cluster?

I'm afraid I know very little about space lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
If and when the discovery of life on another planet occurs. I dont think it will have the great impact on humanity, people imagine.

We'll say "oh look they found aliens, yay!" ok back to blowing each other up for oil.

Humanity is its own worse enemy. If we did make contact with another species. We'd imediately begin working on ways to kill it. Its just in our nature.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I agree, i believe the discovery of alien life will be a dissapointment for many, as well as a huge success for a few, depending on your views on aliens.

The majority of people believe that when they say "we will find alien life", they tend to think of the grey's, or aliens that resemble a kind of humanoid body. But the likley hood of that being the first find is slim, the most likley scenario is that the alien life that we will find will be bacterial life form, which most people will find boring, unless you understand what this could mean. If we find bacterial life, we may one day be able to teraform the planet for humans to habitate it.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Yeah we would. Its just so annoying that this wont happen in our lifetime.
teraforming a planet i mean. Think of the wonders that we will miss out on. If humanity can stop its self destruction that is.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Algebra
We'll say "oh look they found aliens, yay!" ok back to blowing each other up for oil.

Humanity is its own worse enemy. If we did make contact with another species. We'd imediately begin working on ways to kill it. Its just in our nature.

Well that might depend on whether they aliens have oil or not, do they?

The reasons I see our chances getting greater of making a discovery all the time is deployment of new technology, such as the Allen radio telescope array for SETI, the devices searching for earth-like planets, and even optical Seti. But we still can barely scratch the surface of the heavens with what we're doing, so some experts who a decade ago thought we might find alien life between 2005-2010 have pushed that back now to saying by 2025 (and if we don't find it by then, I suspect they will push it back again). Saying it doesn't make it so, but, we ARE looking.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I just dearly hope that I am still around when the news of alien life or visitation to Earth is finally fully and officially revealed..

It is going to be SO much fun watching the debunkers heads all explode.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Algebra

That's not what I'd do.

That's what YOU have been TAUGHT by the MEDIA to think.. that is what humans do.

IMO you have a very narrow concept of the entire spectrum of human nature.

and if human nature is so pathetically self destructive, then might I recommend you catalize a massive species-wide changeover by being the first to change his nature kthnxbye.

-

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Sorry but you dont need the media to tell you about human nature. You just have to look at history and how science is being used to create more destructive ways to destroy each other.

So you should open YOUR mind to the possibility that the world and humanity is'nt this rosey little ideal you've got in your head.

It is in our nature to destroy each other and anything else we see as a threat.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This is another documentary series on UFOs and extra-dimensional beings visiting this planet and it is still being covered up by the higher-ups. However more people are now prepared to speak about what they have experienced, even under threat to their lives.

youtube series 10 part documentary

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
I just dearly hope that I am still around when the news of alien life or visitation to Earth is finally fully and officially revealed..

It is going to be SO much fun watching the debunkers heads all explode.

debunk: to expose the sham or falseness of

hoax: to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous

Well, if it turns out Billy Meier is actually telling the truth some heads are going to pop

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwitina948

Just watched the whole thing. Ive never seen this before thanks for posting it.

I would love to believe it was true. Something inside me is telling me it could be, but my rationality keeps rejecting it. I do believe we have been and still are, getting visits from other life forms. Maybe we are to immature as a species to be able to handle the ultimate truth.

I would like to think the Governments of this world are covering this up to protect us. Personaly i think there just working out how they can capitalize on it. Its true what they say on the video. Theres never been a case where a U.F.O has fired on another craft. We, however have fired on them and we may have even shot one or two down.

Thats the point i was making about humanitys destructive nature. We cant be trusted to look after one another never mind be part of a gallactic community. Even though it is entirely possible to put an end to all the ailments that plague us. We instead value money, more than we value ourselves as a species.

I hate the way the human race has evolved thus far and where we are headed. If i thought, me personaly doing something about it would make any difference. I would give it a shot. Sadly i, like most other people, am confined to the side lines. A spectator to those who have not just my fate, but the fate of our species in there greedy little palms.

join