It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory History Lesson on the Cold War (BBC)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Ep. 20 of Cold War: Soldiers of God (1975-1988)

Google Video Link

Link

"Afghanistan, the Eternal Battle Ground"
15,000 Soviet troops fell here. Nearly a million Afghans.
Nothing changed when the war was over.
Nothing changed to date.
The CIA was there, trained and equipped the Mujahedin.
And how did that go?
Well, it's not really a brainer, now is it?
Learn of this eternal conflict that doesn't seem to cool of one bit. Not even the slightest. Still we pour our troops in there. For what?
Before any of you considers going there (to fight), watch this episode and pay close attention.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Ep. 21 of Cold War: Spies (1945-1990)

Google Video Link

Link

"Spies and Spies That Spy on Spies"
Learn about who was Top Dog and who stayed in the shadows?
Who owned who? The CIA? KGB? What means and methods were used? Who got away, who got shot?
How did they work? What did they know? Which side spied the most? Was anything really secret?
Get the names, dates, places and damage done.
This one is a reall thriller!

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Ep. 22 of Cold War: Star Wars (1981-1988)

Google Video Link

Link

"Space Race That Knew No Limits"
This episode must interest many of our "space junkies" at ATS!
Why must we not put weapons in space?
Or why should we?
Get the complete story on who started the space race and why the USSR opposed it so much. They had the technology, still they did not join in.
Check it out!

link   

Ep. 23 of Cold War: The Wall Comes Down (1989)

Google Video Link

Link

"The Cracks Begin to Appear"
The great empire in the East starts to crumble.
What was the factors that made the USSR fall on itself? What set the implosion? Why didn't the West fall over in same fashion? Or is that what we are having today?
Learn of how the Soviet Union got dismantled, piece by piece. Not all liberation is without bloodshed. Still many young people had to lay down their lives for freedom.

link   

Ep. 24 of Cold War: Conclusions (1989-1991)

Google Video Link

Link

"The Soviet Union Reluctantly Steps Aside"
Ring the bells of freedom! The years of oppression is over.
How did it happen? Who made what decisions?
Hear Bush senior. speak warmly about Gorby and how he felt for him.
The end of one hell of an epic age in man's history.
The grip of terror finally ended.
Now is the time for thought; what did we get? Where are we now?
And most important: what can we learn?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Is it safe to reply yet?

Quite an effort and though I have not veen begun to get into all of it, you get a hero star and a flag for the effort.

This is the kind of stuff that makes ATS the best site on the web!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Lots of info.

I will rip a few off the net and view them over the next few weeks.

I love a good BBC documentary as long as it isn't "Why are my breasts so big?" or crap like that. That's all we get on BBC America.

We do get Top Gear though. Thanks BBC!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I was a bit cofused over whether this was a BBC or CNN production. Then I came across the following information:

Jeremy Isaacs produced the 1998 program in a style similar to his previous series, The World at War (1973). Businessman Ted Turner created the series as a joint production between the Turner Broadcasting System and the BBC, originally broadcast on CNN in the U.S. and the BBC Two in the U.K.

So there we have it; it's both.

I hope this thread gets proper attention (no snugness intended). I think we could all avoid lots of misunderstandings about our past by watching and learning these 24 episodes. I don't say there is any reason to dismiss all political conspiracy theories out there, but if you understand the past (a past that isn't at all very distant) you understand where we are coming from...(err, that kind of said itself) and maybe also where we are headed.
At least, we get to clarify some "links" and "ties" that are so very, very often misused and misunderstood in many-a-conspiracy. Some of you will be very surprised how little influence the Royal families of Europe have had in history, post World War One (common basis for NWO conspiracies).

What I think we should all be very aware of, and that stands out clearly in this production, is that up until the beginning of the Reagan/Bush era (an era we suffered under, globally, at least until President Obama, the US policies makes sense to me. Especially in the first 10-20 years after the war. Emphasis was on the well-being of mankind.
We didn't want no war and neither did the people in the White House or any other parliment in the West. Nor did the Soviets want any war.
The main interest was to rebuild a wartorn world and ensure that there would never be any further world wars. Up to date, that has worked out pretty well (thank God!).

But, as we enter the late 70's and the early 80's, things turn dark.
This is what is revealed in "ep. 18 Backyard".

This is the defining point in time when the US turns rotten.
Suddenly, there is no longer a will to preserve freedom.
This is when there is only a will to preserve riches.
Dusk sets on "the Free World" and it has not been a dawn since.
Is Reagan and Bush senior really the conspiracy? Or is this the point in time when big business grew too big for US government to handle and overruled all democratic principals?
What is clear, however is that the CIA was/is not a tool of the US government; rather a tool of itself. A government within the government. Working for some sort of profit that is unknown to the common man. Probably no better that what we have in Russia today, the FSB (former KGB). More or less an organized, state sanctioned mafia with monopoly on legalized killings and terrorism (yeah, you heard me TERRORISM).

Sickening.
CIA is the conspiracy.

I am happy to see discussion emerge in here about each and/or all episodes.
Happy to help y'all!

Your buddy;
The Raudster

(Ps. Sorry for any broken HTML-coding in the posts, I really hate that too. It's too late for me to "edit" so I hope some kind-hearted mod might fix that....pretty plixxx??? Ds.)

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Just finished watching episode 10.

That interview with Castro opened my eyes up a bit about his mindset.

It appears he wanted the strike to happen no matter what, did he not realise his country would have been destroyed if this had happened?

I'm glad he wasn't the one with his finger on the trigger.

Best episode by far, since I knew very little about the Cuban missile crisis.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I saved this thread for future reference

[edit on 6-2-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I remember watching this as a kid. It's a very good starting point to investigate official standpoints and talking points about the cold war. The people they interview are superb - for every episode they have the direct front line players - diplomats, ministers/secretarys, pilots, generals.

I have watched the series again thanks to your posting. It was a great trip back...

Thanks for posting...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the upload. I have seen one episode from this series awhile ago about the "Chinese and Mao," which was very interesting! This has to be the definitive one-stop shop concerning a period that still intrigues me today.

Just finished watching the episode about the clandestine service and the feud between the CIA/KGB. Talk about ruthlessness among the ranks by spilling the beans on their friends and co-workers for nothing more than frivolous money or a minor disagreement in ideology or foreign policy. Men died as account of the selfishness on the part of these double-agents. Then when it turns out that their friends and co-workers were killed, they like to shrug it off and remain aloof of the whole thing. What snakes they were. Well, thanks again for posting the anthology in it's entirety. So many videos to watch, and so little time in a day.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
About ep. 22 "Star Wars":

This is the first time I learn about the Soviet/Russian counter measures:

Star Wars @ EnligshRussia.com

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yes, I know. This thread is full of dead links to the episodes. Terribly sorry 'bout that.

I try fixing it by making a playlist on my YouTube page. Here you can find all 24 episodes, cut up in 5 parts each.
Enjoy:

COLD WAR - COMPLETE 24 EPISODES - YOUTUBE

top topics

<< 1   >>

join