It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boat blast lives could have been saved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Boat blast lives could have been saved

www.abc.net.au

Asylum seekers "blown off" a sabotaged boat could have survived had the Navy followed stricter safety precautions, an inquest has heard.

The Northern Territory coroner today began hearing evidence into the deaths of five asylum seekers on board a boat, known as SIEV 36, that was under the control of an Australian Navy vessel when it exploded near Ashmore Island in April last year.

New details about the tense moments leading up to the blast and its horrific aftermath have emerged, including "areas of concern" in the way authorities handled the situation prior to the blast, such as a f
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
People smuggler taken into custody

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Some new footage of the incident has been released during the inquiry. It goes to show just how desperate these people are to get away from the tyranny of their homeland, so much so that they're willing to die rather than be sent back.

It also shows quite a few errors on the part of the Australian navy too, not communicating their intentions properly, not handing out the life jackets and not searching the boat properly.
Just to be clear too, this isn't a navy bashing thread, those guys have a hard time controlling such a huge area of ocean.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Here is the video:

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Just my humble opinion, but I think the boat was always going up in flames, regardless of how many protocols were followed. These people were very desperate as you say and it was always going to be a one way trip for some.

IRM

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Yup, the article mentions another boat was almost set alight a few days beforehand.

Perhaps a predetermined Plan B if they get boarded?

[edit on 25/1/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

The flaming of the boat is a regular occurrence to ensure sea rescue.
Its heart breaking.

The refugee crisis is a quandary for me. Though I do support refugees being given support in this country.

Also most of them are ripped off by the traffickers. They are told they have access and a visa for Australia in return for payment. they get a one way ticket to hell the minute they step on the boat.

There is boat people, and there is refugees.
Usually the 'sailors' actually ignite the boat, not the passengers.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

People smugglers are absolute scum.

And you're right most of the refugees have sold everything they have on lies and false hopes.

[edit on 31/1/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Hindsight is always 20/20.

I believe that statement applies to a good number of subjects.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I don't know really, these people aren't running from anything but low wages. Don't forget we had our Forces up there got control back rebuilt, they may even still be up at Timor rebuilding.

Look were this happened near Ashmore Island 12°15'8.75"S 123° 6'48.53"E less than 359km of Australia look how close it is to Indonesia our sea borders are 400km of land they should of been taken back to Indonesia how many Hundreds of Millions of dollars has the Australian government given Indonesia to counter this problem and still they come. Time to take them back where they came from to stop this bizarre spending of Australia's Tax's.

They paid their money boarded the vessel on their own accord they only have them self to blame.

Zelong.

EDIT:
I'm not that calais, ok I've now noticed there was three pictures one of which is of burn victims got to help them of course still dump the others back. When you play with fire you get burnt.

[edit on 1/2/10 by Zelong]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I might be missing something here but.. How the hell is it the Navy's fault?

Second line.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
I might be missing something here but.. How the hell is it the Navy's fault?

Second line.

I hear you WishForWings.The Navy saved them

If it was me they could of pulled me out by my hair its that or sink.

Zelong.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
This is what has happened to humans - they simply do not care about other humans.

This is tragic. And don't even think your kids will care about you when you are old - they don't even care about anyone right now.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
HI ATS!!
I just joined ATS after months of loving reading stuff. (I am a middle aged writer and film maker and conspiracy fan).
I just checked the media section and found a crazy clip and then found out more about this story, and found this thread.. crazy, i live in UK, but our media hasn't reported on this amazing case, and LIVELEAK, a site that I check out daily and is usually great at this sort of stuff has never had the explosion footage, it's the first time I've seen it.

After a search I found this recent informative clip on youtube... a news feature on the story with incredible footage of the explosion.

(this is my first post so please forgive me if this link doesn't work)

The Ozzies are great at honesty and I like the way that all the info is out in the open and people are getting blamed for mistakes.

This kind of honesty in reporting and access to evidence would never happen in the UK or USA me thinks.

RIP to the peeps who dieded cos of the F^*k up.

new topics

top topics

join