It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Extinct Animals That Have Been Photographed Alive

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Humans don't destroy entirely and just pave over the surface of the Earth. And I am not saying that we should destroy all of the animals and plant life int the world, I enjoy and appreciate the beauty and wonder of nature as the next person.

However, if we did kill everything but the animals we need, we would only lose that beauty. I am willing to sacrifice that for the ability to eat and survive.

You stated that only 80 percent of the animal life died in the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. Well... we have not even killed out 5 percent of the animal is the world yet.

I just want everyone to realize that while it is a tragedy that these animals are going extinct. It is much less important than the death of human. I would be less sadend by the death of all wild life than the death of a single starving child.

The people that have the money to be on the internet do not understand that the farmers in the third world nations have no choice. They either starve or chase the animals that are effecting their crops or cattle away.

These farmers have to make choices. Either the tiger lives or the herd of cattle that can feed 300 people. They can't simply run down to the market like we can. And all of that food you enjoy, destroys wild life as well. Even if you don't eat meat, those plants you enjoy push the wild life out of their natural habitat.

P.S. I never said all life was wiped out when the dinosaurs were

[edit on 25-1-2010 by russ212]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Also, humans are currently working harder than ever to protect our wildlife. We set up huge conservation areas, and replant the areas we log.

We have not completly destroyed anything. If we left the world areas like New York City would be taken back over by nature within five or six decades.

And if you believe in evolution, the animals should be evolving to exsist in a world dominated by man. Some wild life is doing well even though man tries to destroy them such as rats, mice, and roaches. One could even say that they are better off because of man.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ212

However, if we did kill everything but the animals we need, we would only lose that beauty. I am willing to sacrifice that for the ability to eat and survive.

No we would not only loose the beauty. We would loose something much much more valuable than your precious cows.

Exhibit A: This is a thread that I actually just barely did, but it is the perfect reply to correct you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I've heard of scientists attempting to try recreate the quagga using horses and zebras (Zorse), but haven't been successful. I think the only way would be cloning.

Here is a link of a "Zorse" paradoxoff.com...

Then there is also "Zebroids" - Kind of sound like futuristic Quagga Robots

en.wikipedia.org...

Daddymax, you must have seen one of these hybrids, as Quaggas died out at the end of the 1800's, unless you are 140 odd years old?

[edit on 25-1-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

Geez, my spelling has been horrendous, keep editing

[edit on 25-1-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

now in the OP it says the Quagga went extinct on aug.12 1883.
daddymax clams to have seen it in the tulsa zoo in 1980. somehow u say that he is lucky to have seen it before it died off.. am i missing something here or is there an error somewhere in this?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Here is another one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac6a63eff640.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

beat me to the puch..grr.. idk how this even got so far before someone noticed.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PApro

beat me to the puch..grr.. idk how this even got so far before someone noticed.

Yeah, I was kind of amazed too that nobody had picked up on it. As a South African, I know they were trying to do this many years ago there. However, the damn zorses would come out differently, and recreating the species is impossible if there are constant 'mutations' as such.

Here's a yoube vid of what I believe to be the zorse on the first link I posted.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I am afraid that you are taking me a little out of context. I am not actually advocating the destruction of nature. I understand how important it actually is, and that we could not survive without it. It just seems to me that in recent years people are willing to sacrifice human life for the sake of a few endangered species.

The people that live in wealthy countries don't actually have to deal with the issues that you are trying to make a statement about. You seem to believe that everyone in the world lives in established cities like you do.

A few animals going extinct is bad, I have already acknowleged that, I have also acknowleged nature is good. I am not saying pave the world. As a matter of fact I feel that humans have a responsibility to protect nature.

It just seems to me that the people on this board a calling this a tragedy. We live in such little bubbles where nothing bad happens that we no longer know what a real tragedy is. You people see a cute little animal has gone extinct and you get all fired up. But there are much more important things in the world. That is the point that I am trying to make. I also want you to understand that man is currently trying to protect nature.

However, progress must not be stopped for the sake of one breed of tiger on an island. The tragedy would be letting the people on that island starve to death so that the tiger can survive.

As to what the thread you created suggested. Even if the wildlife were destroyed. Nature would still endure, and we could use the surviving life to use as an example for those machines.

I also want you to realize that man could contiue as it has for five thousand more years and not wipe out all of the nature on earth because we are replanting when we deforest, and setting aside huge tracts of land for wild life reserves. While some animals would go extinct nature would continue, and if you believe in evolution(I don't, I believe God will come back first) the animals will evolve to live in a world modified by man.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Are humans not natural?

Nature paved the way for our existence. Surely nature would not allow its creation to destroy it. Why would nature allow such a vile (as some of you have declared in a couple of threads) species to exist?

If we ever do anything to the point of actually putting nature in jeopardy, then nature will correct it by some means.

But as I've said in another thread very similar to this one, the human race is only a blink in the life of the Earth. We are overdue for an extinction level event. Take it even farther and the Earth will eventually be swallowed by the Sun going Red Giant.

All of the save the planet crap will have been for nothing.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

It seems the only logical answer to this terrible blight on the animal kingdom is the extinction of the human species. We are the only animals that kill other animals by merely existing.

Look - if we've learned anything from science and the history of our planet - it's that species come and go. It's been that way for millions of years (personally, I am very thankful for the extinction of the T-Rex and Velosaraptors!) If these cycles continue, we will eventually meet our doom too. And whatever creature exists in the future may look back on humans and be thankful for our extinction too.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RaDios

I am sure that the farmers on the island that the extinct tiger lived on are happy as **** that the tiger is extinct as well

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A few more years of "Hope" and "Change" and we will become extinct as a species.

I wonder who will document our demise?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by russ212

What are you talking about?
I think you are replying to the wrong person
I was lost in your first paragraph alone.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Here is another one, Carolina Conure/Carolina Parakeet:

The Carolina Parakeet, was the only parrot species indigenous to the United States. The Carolina parakeet was an remarkably social bird, living in vast flocks. American bird hunters reported that Carolina Parakeets would return to mourn dead members of the flock, making themselves easy targets. Considered a pest, popular in the pet trade, and bearing plumes feathers valued for hats, this species was hunted to extinction around the beginning of the 1900's.

The Carolina Parakeet (Conuropsis carolinensis) was the only parrot species native to the eastern United States. It was found from the Ohio Valley to the Gulf of Mexico, and lived in old forests along rivers. It was the only extinct species at the time classified in genus Conuropsis.

The Carolina Parakeet died out because of a number of different threats. To make space for more agricultural land, large areas of forest were cut down, taking away its living space. The colorful feathers (green body, yellow head, and red around the bill) were in demand as decorations in ladies' hats, and the birds were kept as pets. Even though the birds bred easily in captivity, little was done by owners to increase the population of tamed birds. Finally, they were killed in large numbers because farmers considered them a pest, although many farmers valued them for controlling invasive cockleburs.

A factor that contributed to their extinction was the unfortunate flocking behavior that led them to return immediately to a location where some of the birds had just been killed. This led to even more being shot by hunters as they gathered about the wounded and dead members of the flock.

This combination of factors extirpated the species from most of its range until the early years of the 20th century. However, the last populations were not much hunted for food or feathers, nor did the farmers in rural Florida consider them a pest as the benefit of the birds' love of cockleburs clearly outweighed the minor damage they did to the small-scale garden plots. The final extinction of the species is somewhat of a mystery, but the most likely cause seems to be that the birds succumbed to poultry disease, as suggested by the rapid disappearance of the last, small, but apparently healthy and reproducing flocks of these highly social birds. If this is true, the very fact that the Carolina Parakeet was finally tolerated to roam in the vicinity of human settlements proved its undoing (Snyder & Russell, 2002).

The last wild specimen was killed in Okeechobee County in Florida in 1904, and the last captive bird died at the Cincinnati Zoo in 1918. This was the male specimen "Incas," who died within a year of his mate "Lady Jane."

www.avianweb.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Makes me really sad how ignorant humans can sometimes be. Good thing there are many protection programs these days, but some of us still neglect them and try to justify what they do. I hope pandas make an miracle recovery. It would be shame if they went full excinct.

Still we can't do much. Climate change is going to kill many species and endanger many other.
Oh well there's still this one thing called 'hope'.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You are right. I meant to reply to Demode or whatever there name is. Sorry about that!

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenzio

Climate change by man is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the climate has changed before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we have had ice ages and global warming before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man is not the one changng the climate. The climate changes in cycles.

i hate al gore and the ignorance that he has placed in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad :

people need to wake up and look at natural history. The planet has went through multiple cycles.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/1/2010 by ArMaP]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ212
just want everyone to realize that while it is a tragedy that these animals are going extinct. It is much less important than the death of human. I would be less sadend by the death of all wild life than the death of a single starving child

What makes human life more valuable than animal? Your beliefs? After all we are just different kind of animals. And about farmers having to kill of predators in risk lossing their animals. What makes the predators to come and eat our precious meat? Loss of their own hunting territory what's caused by humans expanding everywhere. They are just trying to eat and survive just like us, but we often do it on other animals expence.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well at least the fluffy bunny rabbits will always be here.

It is sad that species go extinct, but at the end of the day as in the case of the Javan Tiger where it goes extinct due to humans needing land to grow food etc, then thats tough s**t really. People have got to remember that in places like that it isnt really possible for the inhabitants to look after themselves whilst also preserving particular species of animal.
It isnt an ideal situation, but when it comes down to it humans come first.

I wish people would realise that nature wouldnt be some wonderful, blissful garden of eden with all the animals sitting around, paw in paw/hoof/flipper singing cum-bay-ah, if humans werent there. Sure, nature is beautiful etc etc, but it still comes down to surviving and being the dominant species.

Originally posted by Silenzio
I hope pandas make an miracle recovery. It would be shame if they went full excinct.

Yea it would be nice if panda's didnt go extinct... but unfortunately even without humans being here they wouldnt last. We have contributed to the decline in numbers of that species, but they simply arent versatile enough to last the 'long haul' due to their digestive system issues and the difficulties in reproduction.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join