It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Origins of Unexplained Maps

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hi guys. I take my prompt from the contributor who recognized the language as ancient French. Being quite ancient myself, and as a Swiss speaking several languages, I thought maybe you'd appreciate my version. Here goes:

"Presumed (not witnessed) Antarctic Polar Circle. The inner basin being larger than that of the Northern Arctic Sea, it may contain large rivers of a size similar to those of Siberia, (those rivers of Siberia) which bring the northern ice through the two Icelandic passages and through the new passage discovered by the Russians.

There must be, along the coastline, a mountain chain similar to the American Cordelieras or elevated terrain from where large rivers supply the presumably frozen inner arctic sea with ice."

This reads like campfire stories and is unconfirmed conjecture.

It gets more interesting: some coastline points are named:

"Assassins’ Bay"

and in said bay there is

"Abel Tasman's Harbor"

Down here at the southern tip the person drawing (copying) the map placed the mountain chain/ very high elevated terrain and named it "New Zealand".

The southern coast is named: "Marie Dzemen Coast"

And at the southernmost tip:

"Three Kings’ Island discovered by Tasman in January of 1643."

End of translation

Not having seen the original subject of this translation, I strongly suspect that this map was a copy of a copy from faulty sources, maybe combined with hearsay. Either some historians had the habit of giving the same name to different locations to remove clarity (hey, the shilling business is old) or the person doing the copy got distracted and goofed up big. The Tasmania we know is evidently somewhere else. Maybe the copier was a conspiracy theorist who revealed his secret belief that the Antarctic and Australia where the same thing

Occam's Razor would lead to think this copy is a hoax two centuries old. On the other hand, if we believe the historians, neither Australia nor Antarctica were sufficiently known back then by the geographers not to be mixed up by the novice (whose tedious task it would have been to copy maps for selling).

Hard to select a good one without having access to the original document. Dating the ink and paper might be revealing.

My high regard for modern science forces me not to rule out that discoveries made by ancient seafarers probably were attributed to more recent and well-known explorers because the old records had been burned by religious loonies. History is written by those who cheat either the best or the longest. Just take the so-called Mount Sinai aka Jebel el Lawz affair, that theory goes a long way in explaining the difference between opportunism and history.

Due to finds of tropical fauna and flora in the Antarctic, the claim that the Antarctic as well as Alaska once were at the equator cannot be dismissed out of hand. Since the main force of this universe is not gravity but electromagnetism, a pole shift of 45° might be observed across the solar system on a regular basis but never communicated to the sheeple. Hey, electromagnetism is what drives those black project vehicles, therefore it does not exist for us, the taxpayers.

So-called scientists take ice core samples and declare the ice mantle of the Antarctic to be millions of years old because of "layers", many of which develop every single arctic day due to temperature fluctuations. You miay be familiar with the story of a Lockheed P-38 named Glacier Girl which made an emergency landing in the Greenland ice in 1942. When the plane was retrieved only about sixty years later, the thickness of the ice layers covering it would "prove" that Glacier Girl had made its landing 3850 years ago according to "accepted fact". Science disregarding fact is not science but religion and about as useful as Einstein's gobbledygook.

Finding out about our true history is an ongoing adventure. I'd love to find the map Piri Reis copied from.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by outrageousfortune

It gets more interesting: some coastline points are named:

"Assassins’ Bay"

and in said bay there is

"Abel Tasman's Harbor"

It was also known as 'Murderer's Bay' and is now known as 'Golden Bay' and it is beautiful!

Interesting story about Tasman and the incident there if you care to do a proper search.

Originally posted by outrageousfortuneSo-called scientists take ice core samples and declare the ice mantle of the Antarctic to be millions of years old because of "layers", many of which develop every single arctic day due to temperature fluctuations.

They are very real Scientists and have a much better understanding about varvs than you or I do, obviously. I work with some of them and can assure you they have now agenda other than trying to decipher the record. It is based on very sound Science, not conjecture and pseudo-science.

Also, try not to mix up Antarctic and Arctic. It lends no credence to your claims

Edit to fix formatting

[edit on 31-1-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Hi All, I would like to introduce a book by Gavin Menzies called '1421 The year China discovered the world', published by Bantam in 2002/3.
In his logical, exhaustively detailed research Menzies unravels the mysteries associated with the maps made by Europeans in the late 15th and early 16th centuries.
An ex submarine captain with experience of global ocean current systems, Menzies delivers an extremely persuasive argument with physical evidence including ship wreckage, DNA, Ming China, Jade carvings, Asian chickens, literature, cultural practices, and more, to reveal the global voyages of the Chinese and the maps they made 70 years pre Columbus.
After reading this book you will conclude as I have, that the Europeans who "re-discovered" (the Norseman Leif Ericson established a colony in the Americas some 500 years prior), the new world were following in the Chinese footsteps and it is they that should be credited in world history books.
There is no need to reach for alien technologies to explain some of earth's history, just more research.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mezonkureru
reply to post by serbsta

Hi All, I would like to introduce a book by Gavin Menzies called '1421 The year China discovered the world', published by Bantam in 2002/3.
In his logical, exhaustively detailed research Menzies unravels the mysteries associated with the maps made by Europeans in the late 15th and early 16th centuries.

Gah! That book is full of inaccuracies and the associated website is just as bad!

e.g: a Chinese 'fort' where the botanical Gardens in Christchurch now are.
Calling the Moeraki Boulders 'anchor stones/ballast' and saying that there are no other occurrences of spherical concretions like that. When I emailed him with information regarding the spherical Cretaceous concretions of the Waipara Gorge (complete with fish and Plesiosaur bones) and that they - and the Moeraki Boulders - are natural geological phenomena, I didn't recieve a reply.

The guy is a fruit loop and I would take what he says with a grain of salt.
He is wrong on so many levels!

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
double post

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This is an amazing thread.. I appreciate you bringing this topic to our attention. It is wonderful to see people looking for answers.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I think Serbsta back on the first page or maybe in another post (big help) hit upon something very important: The Piri Reis Map was rumored to have been drafted at the Imperial Library in Constantinople (this may be pure speculation I'm quoting). The writings of many ancient civilizations were rumored to be stored there. So thousands of years ago, what was ancient to them right? I say this because I believe his map was taken from other sources painstakingly collected by scholars at Constantinople. Why not? The purge of pagan artifacts and teachings by the church isn't some secret event in its history. I imagine that the people behind this were pretty damn smart themselves and didn't just arbitrarily destroy things. They had an agenda. Anything that conflicted with the teachings of the church..goodbye! So imagine all the items this encompasses. Lets take it to another level...the church had a strong presence in many overseas explorations. Why? To keep God with the crew, bring God to the savages, or to destroy anything they find that might be a problem for their religion? Why not all three? I'm getting ahead of myself here!

I think many of us here believe the possibility that there have been many civilizations that we just won't ever be aware of rather than the focus on the top 10 or so. And in believing that we seem to have a lot of people who crap on ideas here without proof. And I understand that. But to keep saying there's no proof of this or theres no proof of that is to ignore that one of the more powerful institutions of our recorded history embarked on a mission of destruction that most likely directly effects our questions today (on ATS).

What is more likely I ask: That the Piri map is a forgery, created by someone thousands of years ago that just happens to be lucky in its depiction OR a authentic map whose origins were destroyed forever by the church? Or...the dreaded third: A forgery of exquisite quality. (least likely given the history of the map versus our recent technologies that would allow us to calculate the shoreline of an ice free Antartica

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by atlantiswatusi

it's actually written on the Piri Reis map that it was based on 20 source maps, and that some of these maps went back to the time of alexander the great.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Great thread. I have been aware of the Piri Reis Map of 1531 for some time now. I'm giving this thread a bump in hopes that it reaches even more people. There is evidence out there of strange forces at work if you look hard enough. I know the disinfo going around atm is a bit overwhelming but keep on and you will find things you never imagined like this map for examply...

S+F

edit on 26-1-2011 by Smell The Roses because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
How would this affect the determination of an ice age? In other words, if we are entering a new ice age, as some have insisted, then wouldn't this prove that we have just come out of an ice age? If the Buache map shows less ice than we have today and if we are indeed losing ice today, then were we in an ice age and are just now coming out of an ice age? Of course we are not told the age of the map but can we assume that perhaps Al Gore is right to assume that we have global warming now? Could it be that the Buache map will eventually come back into play?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
To those who keep saying Atlantis is Antarctica that is your own myth.

The myth of Atlantis specifies exactly where it was, and when it sank.

It was off the coast of Spain, not where Antarctica is.

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JayinAR

If ice age sea levels were lower, then South America could well be connected to Antarctica. This would have stopped the trans polar current, the one that keeps the land ice locked . So isn't it conceivable that parts of the continent , could resemble Alaska. Even the shores of the Arctic Ocean, are ice free in summer. Since this trans polar current , acts as a freezer circuit, it makes Antarctica the driest place on Earth, Which means its Glaciers, would be terminal, Like in the northern spring and summer, you get ice melt, but its replaced, during the winter . But the lack of precipitation in Antarctica, suggests that although their is ice melt in its summer the lack of precipitation means, it isn't being replaced. So its using stored ice for the flow. So at some time their must have been a lot of precipitation to form the dense inland ice sheets. Which should have occurred when the trans polar current wasn't flowing at the time of the last ice age. So the only time Antarctica could have been shown as two islands, would have to have been, during the last ice age.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join