It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Origins of Unexplained Maps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
Great post...

Questions

1. Why do people assume that the areas charted were not accessible at the times these maps were made?

2. Why can they use correct proportions when drawing ships on their maps, but can't seem to get the coast line drawn correctly. Do they use "scale"? If so, why do the coastlines look so much different then they are presently? They seemed to be amazing sketch artists and painters. I find it odd that they would of seen such a different world unless it was indeed that different.

3. Do people believe in "Ice Ages" because of science, just like people believe in "the flood" because of religion?

Thanks

Peace

The maps show the coast of Antarctica UNDER the ice (hence why they look a little different topographically now, but match up perfectly when mapping the ground underneath.
This is amazing, and we can answer your first question here, because the only time that Antarctica's true coastline was visible to the naked eye would have been over a million years ago, long before humans were charting maps.
This information might not seem surprising to those who believe humans are much older than historically stated, have had advanced technology, and that our written history is a cover up... they're probably right.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

the Vatican is considering/debates on more access in their libraries.
a lot of selected people have access and cant talk about it, write maybe, veiled in secrecy.

symbolic storage, works better than any other medium, seen trough time. again and again.
hidden for the ones that dont care, in plain sight for all to see.

the social barrier is holding back on the clues we find on our earth.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Hello fellow ATS members,

This will be my first time posting on ATS even though Ive been a visitor for quite a while now. I just want to add to the OP's post regarding ancient maps with this ancient map by the Chinese. I found this from Coast to Coast.

Heres the link:www.coasttocoastam.com...
(Jan 10th show of coasttocoast.com and you can find the link to the map im talking about in there)
It is by Dr. Hendon Harris, Jr. map collection.
Dont know if its real but it sounds pretty legit.

Thanks,
Jorge

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Hello fellow ATS members,

This will be my first time posting on ATS even though Ive been a visitor for quite a while now. I just want to add to the OP's post regarding ancient maps with this ancient map by the Chinese. I found this from Coast to Coast.

Heres the link: "http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2010/01/20"
(Jan 10th show of coasttocoast.com and you can find the link to the map im talking about in there)
It is by Dr. Hendon Harris, Jr. map collection.
Dont know if its real but it sounds pretty legit.

Thanks,
Jorge

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
man this thread reminds me of the good ol' days. back when ats was worth spending time on.an actual well written and researched and thought provoking article, followed by nary an insult. good times

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zoso28

Yip, it's been a pleasure reading this thread and contributing to it. Thanks to all who added to it, many thought provoking ideas, and much enjoyed information supplied by all.

Keep it coming ATS'ers

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
What I find most interesting are the drawings of the wild life and inhabitants of the regions depicted in the Pires Reis map.

White bearded mans with "fire" in their heads?

Lizards sitting and holding stuff like humans?

Dancing animals?

Single horn "cows"?

Weird to say the least...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Gavin Menzie's book 1421 argues that these mysterious maps originated from the Zheng He maps:

www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_2

Here you go -- a list of these mysterious maps:

www.gavinmenzies.net...

reply to post by serbsta

[edit on 25-1-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
In a thread ceated by "LordtypO" "Awesome Banned Books", there is a book in the list called "hollow earth theory 1". In this book the man recounts his flight that he took in 1947 over the arctic. He describes rivers, valleys and mountain ranges. also his encounter with a civilasation in the arctic. I found this comparable after whats described on the maps as well as what has been writen in some of the posts refrencing the possible location of atlantis. Just thought the two connected with some similarities. Please look at the thread containing the book, it is fairly interesting.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by jonny420ls]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by telfyr

The Vatican libraries aren't as restricted as most believe them to be.
Well, they are right now because the library is under construction and not due to be reopened until September of this year.
Anyhow, you can gain access to the library if you simply show your credentials and give a reason why you need to see their stuff for research you are doing.

As far as source maps go, I couldn't really find anything. I found an old Chinese map that was pretty cool, but I never let the thing finish loading. It was a HUGE file. Or huge for my computer anyhow.
Go to wikipedia and type "Vatican Library Maps." There isn't an official page, but if you look through some of the search results, you'll find the map I'm speaking of. You'll need a Mandarin translator to make much sense of it, but it appears to be yet another old world map complete with longitude.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

White bearded man with "fire" in their heads?

Comparing to other old maps that would most likely be "Terra del Fuego"...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/4cf4bc7dde9771d1.jpg[/atsimg]

Thing that puzzles me is, Terra del Fuego or "land of fire" is something we know as being an archipelago off the southernmost tip of the South American mainland. Yet numerous ancient maps insist on it being a feature of Antarctica.

Here's a map by Jodocus Hondius - 1606 (it's pretty accurate)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/5832ce1c2048d1fe.jpg[/atsimg]

I believe they always took the strait of Magellan, because it provided natural protection from the harsh weather, and assumed the landmass to the south was connected to Antarctica. Or did the geological situation change that drastically over the last 500 years that Terra del Fuego was indeed connected to Antarctica?

Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by rawrsaurus

Well that's interesting... Here it is embedded if anyone's interested:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7aea688d47c5.jpg[/atsimg]

And David Deal's interpretation of it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b52fb8f9bda.gif[/atsimg]

reply to post by thomas_

Originally posted by thomas_

White bearded mans with "fire" in their heads?

What?! Please show me where you saw this, i can't see it anywhere.

The implications of finding an image of a white, bearded man, especially with fire, are astronomical! Please pin point where you saw this then maybe we can find some reasoning as to why it is there, because MANY ancient cultures speak of WHITE, BEARDED MEN bearing fire who came from the south via the sea.

reply to post by JayinAR

Hmm... but more specifically those manuscripts which were taken from the library at Constantinople centuries ago. I doubt those are up for view on wikipedia.

reply to post by operation mindcrime

Perplexing... I've got no answer. I'm more interested in these source maps now than anything.

[edit on 25/1/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Well, I found that Chinese map that dated to the 17th century, I believe. And it was a pretty decent map, all considering.

I'm not convinced that you couldn't find them. I'll look some more later on if I can remember it.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I believe Thomas_ is referring to this little guy..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/904242126b00aeea.jpg[/atsimg]

Not exactly a white beard but still.....

Seems like a pretty good way to describe Terra del Fuego.

Peace

[edit on 25/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

EDIT: I should have said white, bearded men. Not white-bearded men.

Ok well as far as I'm aware it is not in the genealogy of the people of South America to have facial hair like that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but from everything I've read this seems to be the case. So for all those saying that the Piri Reis map is showing South America, why are there bearded men atop it?

...the same old vanished civilized race, the "white and bearded men," who had taught Aztecs, Mayas, and Incas their amazing culture in America, had evolved a curiously similar calendar and similar astronomical knowledge which Europe in those times could not match.

"Kon-Tiki" by Thor Heyerdahl

Sorry if im going in a stray direction but I believe this is relevant to identifying what land mass is depicted on the Piri Reis map.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Came across this a few years ago, and it may be relevant to this discussion. It would explain alot about the similarities between different ancient civilizations around the world, as well as the condition of the earth in the past.

Any thoughts?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Sorry if im going in a stray direction but I believe this is relevant to identifying what land mass is depicted on the Piri Reis map.

Well that's easy!! Notice the Tapir on the map? (In combination with the little guy who's head is one fire) I guess that would make it South America.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/8e50d62eae59e180.jpg[/atsimg]

I makes it a little difficult because we seem to have Brazilian Tapirs and Malayan Tapir. But the guy with his head on fire right across from it would either be the north coast of Australia or Terra del Fuego.

I tend to believe Terra del Fuego didn't get that name for nothing so it seems most obvious that the guy with his head on fire represents Terra del Fuego.

Peace

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Hey serbsta
there is a couple of great books on this. Im reading a book called Dead Mans Secrets by Jonathan Gray. Amazing! some of the stuff in there about ancients. Things I never new. Very good reading

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I am sorry for the sloppy paint job but i just realized the resemblance between the Piri Reis map and Australia's northern coast line...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/718e1444f097a001.jpg[/atsimg]

It would make the Tapir on the Piri Reis map an Malayan Tapir.

Peace

Edit: i noticed the map being to big to fit so here's the link.

media.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I looked at the maps, and they almost look like... I would say artwork instead of maps. Maybe they were not made to be taken seriously. Just a thought.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join