It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple different dreams in one night of sleep?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Has this ever happened to you? Last night, I had 5 fully featured dreams, one taking place right after another. The thing is, as far as I could tell, each of the dreams were not connected to each other.

When I woke up, I thought of it like this. Each of the dreams I had last night were very symbolic and important. So it felt like once one aspect I needed to know was taught, it would move on to another topic of importance? Do you understand what I mean? It was like I had 5 different classes at school one after the other. Learning different topics and ideas in each one. Make sense?

Comments and input on this would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
That's how I dream all the time, it makes it hard to keep a journal sometimes because there is far too much to write about.

Get's even more strenuous when time itself stretches so I can experience what seems like weeks instead of hours of sleep in dream-time.

Needless to say, that's awesome that you are having enough perception during sleep to remember more then one of your many many dreams.

They in fact could span into hundreds or thousands; I have had fractal dream states where I was able to perceive myself on several dreams at once in a very organized matrix of views. Dreams are so multi-dimensional that our limited linear mind has trouble fully realizing the shear scope and volume of actual dreaming that is going on behind closed eyes.

It's astronomical, what we usually remember is just a fraction of the whole dreaming composite.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I think humans have somewhere around 8 dreams a night. It is just uncommon most of the time to remember more then two of them any given night.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I've had similar experiences. Sometimes the dreams are connected, other times they are entirely different. Time is not perceived the same way while you are asleep as when you awake so the dreams could easily be spaced apart by quite a few minutes or even an hour and the mind wouldn't necessarily perceive that separation.

Dreaming like this is very cool. When I have them each dream usually explores a different aspect of my mind, starting with what's on the front of my mind and ending with what's buried in my subconscious.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Can confirm that this has happened to me as well. Sometimes the content of the dreams are so different that it seems hard to separate dream from reality. (Kind of like waking up in a dream and thinking you have awoken, but you are in another dream.)

I've always been fascinated by dreams and what they mean. I have come to the conclusion that they are a combination of the following : desire, regret, fear, randomness and obsession. I do not personally believe they hold any prophetic properties - although they do sometimes bring forth feelings of Déjà vu.

I wouldn't worry about it. The weird/freaky ones usually involve a lot of randomness that make them very difficult to recall and make sense of.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Howdy, Solar

You may want to check out sleep cycle (searchable).

Over the course of the night, you slip from consciousness, descend into a very deep (hard to be roused from) state, "bottom out," and reascend until you almost reach wakefulness again. Then you do that all over again, descend, bottom out, and reascend.

One complete cycle takes about 90 minutes to 120 minutes. Generally, each repetition has a "higher" low point and a "higher" high point than the preceding one. After 4 or 5 of these cycles, the high point is wakefulness itself, and we get up.

Narrative dreams that are remembered upon waking typically occur during the "almost awake" part of the cycle. So, you are in that state maybe 4-6 times a night, if you sleep for about 8 hours, or so.

So, bottom line, to have five dreams a night sounds about right. To remember all of them is unusual, that is, if I understand your post, unusual for you. How many dreams people remember varies from zero to all of them, and that can differ from one night to the next, as well.

This morning, I remembered parts of three dreams, for example. At least I think I do; "counting" is complicated because I can't really remember the "dream boundaries." To be candid, then, what I remember is three dream fragments which don't seem to me to belong in one dream. But I could be wrong about that, of course.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

actually i thought that scientists decided people have as many as *maybe 5 lolz* dreams a night, some large number you wouldn't expect. but most people don't even remember one.
there are nights i remember as many as three, fun times.
i love remembering dreams.

maybe you should begin exploring your dreams further...they are a wonderland...

[edit on 1/25/2010 by double_frick]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Were you exhausted? that's usually how I feel after an epic of dreams in the early morning. It's like my body didn't' even bother resting...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I never dream a single dream. It's always around 5 or so every night so it's as normal as they come. My best guess is that the more dreams you have per night, the more things happened during the day.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

I can't seem to remember my dreams at all. I know when I was young I could dream and remember what happened the next day but now I sleep without dreaming anything. Could this be a sign that im going insane or that im too tired to dream anything?

[edit on 25-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hm, interesting thoughts everyone.

But yes, after a night full of intense dreams, I do in fact feel tired when I wake up.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Dreaming is a skill, requires a certain amount of dedication to the art so to speak. You are always dreaming, and even if your "waking conscious self" they part you identify as you right now is not participating, there are many other compartments of your consciousness engaged in dreaming.

The skill comes with training this waking part of you to start looking at these compartments and taking a vested interest in the dreaming during sleep ritual.

You could have lots of nightmares and have also blocked out dreaming as a defense mechanism rather then facing the nightmares and opening up a can of whooooop ayyuuuuuss on them.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I don't dream a lot and I do not have a lot of opinions about dreams.

However , about 20 years ago I had three consecutive dreams as I took an afternoon nap, waking up slightly between each one.

These 3 dreams and their imagery are still clear as day to me , like I had them last night. 3 short , vivid and distinct dreams dealing with 3 totally different things. I'm still waiting for their meaning to reveal itself as I'm convinced that they mean something .....to me.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I am in no way a dream expert. 2 years of psychology and a little searching gave me this information. There are 4 stages of sleep. The final REM stage is where you experience dreaming. According to some sources, each sleep cycle last 60-90 minutes and the average person dreams for about 2 hours a night. Therefore, it is not at all uncommon to have 5-8 dreams a night. Remembering 5 or more dreams in one night IS unusual. Waking up during the end or immediately after REM stage can help you remember your dreams. If you have been ill or under stress you may be slightly waking when restarting your sleep cycle and not realizing it. Which would explain remembering.

Here's what wiki has to say about sleep stages
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 28-2-2011 by Larrelye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join