It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing landslide forces evacuation of 80 families

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Growing landslide forces evacuation of 80 families

www.woai.com

SAN ANTONIO -- Twenty families who live on the northwest side are being evacuated because of a large sinkhole near Bandera Road and Loop 1604. The families live in the Hills of Rivermist subdivision. The American Red Cross is setting up a temporary shelter for the families at O'Connor High School in Helotes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 1/24/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So many earthquakes and now sinkholes. The earth is going crazy as it approaches 2012. The news reports say that the bottom of this sink hole can not be seen and that it is still growing. I kinda wonder if a new cavern has been discovered.

In the mean time I'll be keeping the families effected by this in my thoughts.

www.woai.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The only video I can find on this event is at this link, www.mysanantonio.com...

However that video does not do it justice. According to the radio it is still sinking about a foot an hour. It should stop eventually. I shall see if I can make it over there tomorrow to film some of it myself if the authorities give the OK.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about this, my thoughts are also for the people in the area affected, these type sink holes are not uncommon.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
it is rather interesting that all these things keep happening, has anyone seen the 2012 movie yet. Yes Hollywood over dramatizes things a bit, but in the beginning of that movie the scenarios were of the degradation in stability of the earths crust, and my,.. have we had allot of global activity lately.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Update. The sink hole has gotten larger. 80 families have been evacuated. Authorities are calling this a significant landslide. The Sinkhole is said to be around 6 feet wide (It looked larger then that in pictures) and over 15 feet deep. Authorities are worried about letting people back concerned that the added weight might cause more shifting.

On a personal note I may not be able to check this out tomorrow but I will definitely do so as soon as they say it is safe.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

The incident happened exactly one week after a builder's warranty on the Koenigs' first home in the 11900 block of Oak Water expired.

“Our back yard has shifted about 10 feet, and everything is pushed closer to our house,” said Sara Koenig, 23.

A builder's warranty expired a week before??

hmmm

I wonder if the construction company did something...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Another Update. Authorities are now calling this a land slide rather than a sink hole. People were evacuated before they could get cloths or medications. At this hour the ground is still shifting and people are not being allowed in. It is being likened to Californian landslides. WOAI reported that the cause of the mudslide is unknown at this hour. I suspect it may have something to do with the neighborhoods retaining wall.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I have never really had a prophetic dream before and this is pretty awkward for me to post up here but it blew my mind when I saw the word "sinkhole" and then the OP mentioning caverns. Now keep in mind it was six in the morning and i was a little groggy, as you can see with my estimate of the time period being 30 BC.

This was recorded this morning at 6am eastern time and I just found out about the sinkhole at 11pm.

I was working in some sort of christ era desert. It looked to be around 30BC and there was a pharoah in charge. People were generally discontented with their ruler and were worked to the bone. There was a sinkhole on the outskirts of town that people were thrown into when they misbehaved. It was believed thta the person was being throwninto the pits of hell. One day I had the idea to throw the Ceasar down the pit. I waited in a nearby bush as he went on his walk alone. When the time was right I leaped out aand threw him down. He fought back but i kept kicking him down the hole. I thought I had won untill the next day. I saw him sneaking back down the hole with a trowell that was actually mine. He was in a zombie like trance and he slid back down. I got extremley curious about what was down this hole and waited untill ceaser was long gone to go back. When I cam back I found that other people were curious too they were halfway down it with torches. There was some kind of ledge in the left made from brick. I slid down filled wit excitement and grabbed the ledge. I went through a small tunnel that opened up to a massive cave. The cave itself was the size of the fleet center. I started walking through it hoping not the get caught by whoever was running this place and could turn the ceasar into a robot. Once I got to a certain point in the cave I was transported into a warehouse looking room. It was filled with futuristic looking gagets. I was with the onlookers that were curious about the cave. One of them was trexler. There was some kind o projector that he fired up and it sounded like a jet engine winding up when he turned it on and I though something was about to happen but we shut it off out of fear of radiation. We were looking araound at all of these gagets wondering what they all did. I kept sneaking around and made it into a slightly futuristic version of a corporate office. It gave me the feeling f the department of defence as they had all sorts of wild technology in the back and there were security forces everywhere. I was on the back wall hiding behind a cubicle when I saw a gaurd walk right past me. I was stunned as he didnt acknowledge me. Some one who was new at their cubicle in from of me told me to keep out of sight because they werent able to see me yet. I ducked down at the desk and stayed quiet while 3 gaurds came over to investigate the area. They eventually went away and I somehow escaped the buiding and got to ground level. It was an entire city under the sea! It was amazing looking! It was set in the future and it was inside the earth. I was walking around and I could breathe underwater. It didnt feel like water, It was just like walking in the open air gravity here but it just looked like we were under water. I saw a wave of radioactive looking energy material sweep over the entire city and I instantly knew this is what allowed people to see me in this place. It had the prple sheen to it that i saw on the people in the cubicles. I ran to hide behind a building so I wouldent get directley hit by the blast.

Go easy on me it took a lot to post this.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ok now Im a little freaked out. I just googled "mayan prophecies sink holes" because the OP mentioned 2012 and an article came up. Sinkholes in maya are called "cenotes" and they have a large part in mayan history. Here is a clip from the article and if you read my dream in the previous post it was about going into a sink hole and discovering and underground world.

Deep in the interior of Mexico's Yucatán State, where Maya is still spoken in thatched-hut villages and you can find crocodiles in your cenotes, I spent a week accompanying de Anda as he continued his daunting exploration of the state's 2,500-odd cenotes. The professor, a 46-year-old father of two and a garrulous fireplug of a man with a salt-and-pepper beard, currently teaches underwater archaeology at the Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán in the picturesque city of Merída, but he once ran the most successful dive shop in the neighboring state of Quintana Roo. It was in cenotes there that he first discovered the allure of the underwater world of the Maya. He shuttered the shop and entered the staid halls of academe when Francisco Fernandez Repetto, director of the university's anthropology department, asked him to establish an underwater archaeology research center, the first of its kind in Latin America, at Merída. "It's so important that people realize some cenotes are archaeological sites with unspoiled access to a whole new wealth of information on the Maya. The artifacts in these particular sites need to be protected," says de Anda. "They are not just places to go swimming or scuba diving."

link to article

My mind is blown....in my dream there was advanced technology discovered in the underwater world...someone needs to go down thre and check it out!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Weren't there always sinkholes ?

Aren't the reasons for sinkholes' appearance fully explained in a hundred and more sources, online, in the library, etc ?

Is every single natural event, worldwide, going to be connected to '2012' for the next two years ?

Good grief ! Can't wait until January 2013 and an end to this 2012 hysteria

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Isn't this over the Edwards Aquifer? How's the water holding up there? Maybe a cavern has been created by the pumping of water from the Aquifer.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
As I have been following this story the over all consensus seems to be that the poorly constructed retaining wall, that Centex Homes did not have a permit to build, gave way. This caused the massive movement of earth. Centex homes has not been quick to reassure anyone of anything and have re-directed the home owners inquires about the event to a website that they will put up in the next 72 hours.

The development does seem to be built over the Edwards Aquifer Recharge zone but that does not seem to be a factor at this time. If it is they the blame is being shifted to that wall.

Families were let back in to gather needed medications and essentials.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
What ended up happening from this?

I never saw it mentioned again anywhere.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

You're right: I live near SA and it was a direct cause of negligence on the part fo the builder.Poor construction of a retaining-wall in a saturared area of growth resulting in a feeble attempt to "re-route" a water source no doubt.The "retaining wall" was not built to specified design or plan either.
The guy down the road from me is an insurance claims adjustor who's working on this situation first hand: lawsuits and political posturing is RAMPANT,lawyers swarming all over the site,LOL!
I feel for these people who in all good faith contracted to have homes built and hope they get satisfaction.

top topics

join