It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning New Look at the Cat's Paw Nebula - Picture Included

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hey ATS, another beautiful Image for you, I know these are common but I never get tired of them!

UNIVERSE TODAY

This striking new image shows the vast cloud of gas and dust known as the Cat’s Paw Nebula or NGC 6334. This glowing nebula resembles a gigantic pawprint of a celestial cat out on an errand across the Universe. This complex region of gas and dust, where numerous massive stars are born, lies near the heart of the Milky Way galaxy, about 5500 light-years away. It covers an area on the sky slightly larger than the full Moon. The whole gas cloud is about 50 light-years across.

This new portrait of the Cat's Paw was created from images taken with the Wide Field Imager instrument at the 2.2-metre MPG/ESO telescope at the La Silla Observatory in Chile, combining images taken through blue, green and red filters, as well as a special filter designed to let through the light of glowing hydrogen.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34ac6e348ccb.jpg[/atsimg]

Hope you like, all the best ATS, Kiwifoot!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
hi Kiwifoot,

thanks for posting. Beautiful image, amazing detail. i never tire of seeing images like this either.

S&F.
g

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
hi Kiwifoot,

thanks for posting. Beautiful image, amazing detail. i never tire of seeing images like this either.

S&F.
g

No problem, you know you'd think I'd get bored of all these pictures coming out, there's a new one nearly very week, but no!

It's the ability to see so far away and wonder what it's like there, is anything else alive there. Silly really I suppose, but hey, good pic after all!

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Beautiful, I like these pictures when people post them.

Keep them coming.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
And I've got a new desktop background (not that the orion nebula gets boring to look at!)

Thanks OP. stunning pic.

top topics

join