It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SC Lt. Gov: Poor Like "Stray Animals." Don't Feed Them or "They Breed."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
So it's not ok to have welfare, but I should pay my tax dollars to keep criminals fed in prisons and pay for their cable tv while I struggle on low income pay because there are no higher paying jobs right now in this economy. In fact other positions of higher paying jobs have been taken a large paycut so they don't end up unemployed. Show me how it's affective to keep just one criminal alive but spit on the poor???? People are showing their stupidity here.

I must add...I'd love to see the collapse of the entire economic system, we'd see how unfit these politicians and corporate ceos would be about surviving, they'd have as much chance and maybe less than the welfare recipents for surviving, and the criminals, well they'd last about two seconds cause when TSHTF we will take them out when it comes to us protecting our own!
[edit on 24-1-2010 by ldyserenity]

[edit on 24-1-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

It is unfathomable that a person could harbor such ill will of people and yet propose to be in a position to lead them. This state would do well to reclaim the dignity it deserves by ridding this excuse of a human being from his position and employment. He has brought shame on his fellow Carolinians.

It might be interesting to organize a huge voter registration of this population just to watch him wince.

If the citizenry quietly accepts this statement without demanding that he step down, it will not bode well for the state, now or ever.

Having visited both North and South Carolina in the past, and finding them extrodinarily beautiful, and the people well rounded and honest, I'm perplexed that a call for cruelty of this magnitude would be tolerated.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Shouldnt "help" be a choice and not forced by government?

I have no problem defending my stuff from those who would take it for whatever reason.

I provide for myself and my family, it isnt my problem, nor my fault if others cant do the same.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

It might be interesting to organize a huge voter registration of this population just to watch him wince.

Good idea. Lets build a new voting bloc comprised of people who want to elect others who promise to give them more of other peoples money.

Seriously?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Yes, seriously. I have no occasion on this thread to be anything but.

Your perspective is your perspective. If this is the way you choose to think, then by all means. You value your money. I get that.

Another perspective is in the prevention of human suffering, and taking care of the people in our country who for whatever reasons are unable to do this themselves.

States work hard in identifying persons who are abusing these programs.
In most states, if folks are found to be abusive of services, they are charged with fraud and prosecuted.

If by defending the comments made by the individual, while criticizing my own, you unwittingly indicate your own values.

There are many people who are like-minded. Programs such as these were placed in action, and devised by people who do not share your thoughts or your values, but rather value the elevation of the human condition when it is possible to do so, and when it is essential to do so.

This seems to me to be a much loftier achievement/value, than simply retaining a few extra bucks on one's paycheck each month.

[edit on 1/24/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

It isnt essential. We always need an underclass.

Why have government mandated "help"? Shouldnt it be a personal choice instead of the government redistributing my income without my permission under threat of imprisonment?

Surely you dont believe this is a free country do you?

Since you have no problem giving away my money, how about you send me a few extra bucks every month so you can feel like youve helped more?

[edit on 24-1-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

It isnt essential. We always need an underclass.

While economists have debated this point for decades, assuming you are correct, then you also believe the "underclass" should be permitted to starve and go without basic human essentials, when we reportedly live in the most affluent country in the world.

Why have government mandated "help"? Shouldnt it be a personal choice instead of the government redistributing my income without my permission under threat of imprisonment?

Yes, I suppose the IRS would tend to frown upon this. Unfortunately for you it is the way our government is set to operate.

Since you have no problem giving away my money, how about you send me a few extra bucks every month so you can feel like youve helped more?

This conversation deteriorated rather quickly, didn't it?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is another example of the Satanic selfishness being cultivated in those given authority. People are placed in these position and because the are now several generations into obedience to the Illuminati. They are likely trained from childhood for this roles. People elect them by voting the two party system imagining their savior has arrived. IE the vote out of cowardice.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well, ya gotta respect a politician who tells the Truth for a change, right?

In this case, the assessment is spot-on. Poverty begets poverty. Dependence on government handouts begets dependence on government handouts.

I know, the bleeding hearts out there will moan and lament: "But these are people, don't you see? They deserve our patience and our assistance and our money... Or, rather, your money."

No. They do not.

The poor have every opportunity to make their lot in life a better one. For Godsake, if a Mexican high school dropout can sneak across the border and earn $17 an hour in a chicken-processing plant, then America's poor can do the same.

Interestingly, some whistleblowers down in Georgia turned in a chicken-processing company in that state a year or so ago, turned them in to the INS. About a hundred illegal aliens were arrested at the plant and deported back to Mexico as a result, leaving 100 comparatively high-paying ($12 - $17 per hour) jobs open to the locals.

Sure enough, the locals rushed in to fill the positions, claiming that these jobs had never been available before (because the employer had previously trucked in illegals for the jobs).

That was a hundred decent, low-skill, high-pay jobs that fell out of the sky, right? Perfect jobs for America's "poor"...

Just imagine that situation on a scale of millions of newly available jobs. Tens of millions of such jobs, ripe for any poor, low-skilled laborers anywhere in America. America's "poverty" problem would be over if we simply enforced our immigration laws and deported 20 million or so illegal aliens.

Sounds simple, don't it?

Unfortunately, America's "poor" AREN'T LOOKING for work, they don't want to "earn a living"... They're looking for a free handout. Which makes them bums, by and large.

What compounds this situation manifold is the Welfare State, which has been slopping the hogs for over 60 years, breeding whole generations of bums with their hands out and a preposterous sense of entitlement that has no place in a healthy and sane society.

Yeah, as long as you feed the poor, they'll only breed more poor. It's perfectly logical.

STOP FEEDING THEM

and PUT THEM TO WORK

Oh, I can hear it now: Oh, my God! You're talking about slavery!

No, I'm not. I'm talking about going to work, which they will abide or they won't eat. What a concept, right?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/24/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

While economists have debated this point for decades, assuming you are correct, then you also believe the "underclass" should be permitted to starve and go without basic human essentials, when we reportedly live in the most affluent country in the world.

Just so I know where you are coming from, could you please define what you consider a basic human essential?

Yes, I suppose the IRS would tend to frown upon this. Unfortunately for you it is the way our government is set to operate.

Actually if you would read the Constitution, you would see it gives the government no authority to redistribute income to alleviate poverty.

The general welfare clause (as people like to throw it out in defense of social programs) refers to the welfare of the nation, not the individual.

This conversation deteriorated rather quickly, didn't it?

Honest question. You have no problem with the government taking my money to give to others, so why dont you pitch in a bit more so I dont have to?

[edit on 24-1-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

That was an extremely well-composed post, imo

and I agree with you

I'll go further and suggest that MOST who read your post and others like it will privately agree with you

and they'll be very glad that YOU said it, thus saving them from having to do so

I think you've spoken for the vast majority of Americans ... for most worldwide, in fact

But now that YOU have said it

people will write saccharine posts in order to meld with what they see as the 'outraged majority' in this thread

and because they want those so-valuable 'stars' (because, as we know, they can be traded at banks for solid gold, or can be used to bulk up a resume, or can be cited as character-references or even used to tart-up a Facebook page .... can't they ... LOL )

and because most people want to be 'popular', even amongst total strangers, under a meaningless ID, in just one of thousands of fora

You, on the other hand, are probably TEN TIMES more compassionate in your everyday life than those trying to sound holier-than-thou within their hypocritical posts in this thread

If anyone deserves Flags and Stars ---- it's you

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

The difference in what you posted and what the Lt. Gov. said is he, basically, referred to them as stray animals. The point can be made without resorting to name calling. At least by those who have half a brain and don't actually believe a certain class of people are animals.

I am assuming, of course, that you differentiate between those who can't help themselves and those who simply won't.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Basic needs? Let me clarify for you then. Food, water, shelter, clothing.
Are we good on that?

"If I would read the Constitution". Rather a presumtious litte claim, don't you think?

When you say "what is actually meant", are you presuming to know what is "actually meant", moreso than those who write and legislate laws? What is "actually" meant is what is given. I've seen so many debates on ATS concerning this very notion. There are those on here who would have you believe it's illegal to be charged taxes. Sorry. Not the case. At first glance there appears to be evidence to support this, but in-depth study indicates it's erroneous.

Why don't I chip in more so you don't have to? Another presumption on your part?

Actually I am in a position to help more than some others might be, particularly during this troubling economic time. I am very grateful I am able to do so, and do so regularly.
Of course, you have no way of knowing that, but choose to make assertions of which you have no knowledge.

Additionally, I'm rather not inclined to assist you.

What we are actually addressing here are a person's values. They are not easily changed, but can be. I will do my part. You make it clear that the few dollars on your paycheck is what you value most, along with many others. You have an abundance of company.

I would not presume to try and change your value system. You sound like a tough customer. Please, by all means, try to discover a law, a loop hole, or some other means to avoid civic responsibility. I'm sure the country will continue to function without your contribution.

Good luck with the IRS!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Having visited both North and South Carolina in the past, and finding them extrodinarily beautiful, and the people well rounded and honest, I'm perplexed that a call for cruelty of this magnitude would be tolerated.

Hopefully, once this news gets around the Carolinas, it won't be.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
In the eyes of the most credible sources, planet Earth can sustain a half-billion humans without any sizable destruction of our habitat, or any loss in species or stability of our ecosystem. Any numbers higher than that, no matter how much they recycle, will cause environmental chaos. The modern leftist-tinged environmental movement is terrified of telling anyone that they cannot breed and keep buying whatever strikes their fancy, but someone must do this in the future. The sooner we do it, the fewer people in the future will be left without a means of sustenance and thus require termination. In the words pf Pentti Linkola, "We still have a chance to be cruel. But if we are not cruel today, all is lost."

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by koolerthanjesus
In the eyes of the most credible sources, planet Earth can sustain a half-billion humans without any sizable destruction of our habitat, or any loss in species or stability of our ecosystem. Any numbers higher than that, no matter how much they recycle, will cause environmental chaos. The modern leftist-tinged environmental movement is terrified of telling anyone that they cannot breed and keep buying whatever strikes their fancy, but someone must do this in the future. The sooner we do it, the fewer people in the future will be left without a means of sustenance and thus require termination. In the words pf Pentti Linkola, "We still have a chance to be cruel. But if we are not cruel today, all is lost."

So, kill all the criminals, what have they evr contributed to society, NADA nothing....end of story in fact they detract from society, I say start with the murderers and child molesters and go down the chain from there.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
I am assuming, of course, that you differentiate between those who can't help themselves and those who simply won't.

I've been "poor" in my life. Extremely poor. Living on a public beach for two straight years without a home, car, job, family or friends poor. Below the poverty line, for certain. Starving every day, for certain.

In all that time, for two straight years, I never begged. Never stole anything, never committed a crime. Most importantly (for me), I never applied for welfare relief nor any other type of government assistance.

Rather, I took day jobs, the sort of employment where you show up at a new place every day at 7:00 AM, talk to the boss, then go out and do whatever the hell he tells you. At the end of the day, you collect a few dollars in cash — no paperwork, no tax withholdings, no official record that you even exist. It's the bottom of the barrel. You might be sweeping the parking lot down at the dog pound one day, picking oranges in an orchard the next, hosing down a fishing boat the day after that.

This is how I survived, it's how I ate and purchased a few clothes now and then down at the Goodwill resale shop.

Now, in the course of this two-year ordeal, I met a lot of really, really poor people who didn't mind an honest day's work. I sometimes even worked shoulder-to-shoulder with illegal aliens in watermelon patches and other agricultural produce venues. These people were all very poor, and very hungry, but they were some working sons of bitches, just like myself.

On the other hand, I also met throngs of "poor" people — whole neighborhoods full of them, in fact — who were perfectly healthy and perfectly sound of mind and body, but who would not work to save their asses. They lived in homes, unlike me, they drove cars, unlike me, they ate regular meals, unlike me, and they collected monthly checks from the government.

Again, unlike me.

I was poorer than the "poor" in America, and they were living rather carefree lives compared to mine. They were comfortable living on the doll, they were comfortable exchanging free food stamps for their meals, they were comfortable spending their welfare checks on cable TV and Colt 45 malt liquor, and they were comfortable never lifting a finger to work or earn a living.

Oh, hell, they were having a high old time compared to me. Fact is, out of all the scores of "poor people" I knew who were receiving government assistance, I could count the number of those disabled and unable-to-work on the fingers of one hand.

Even as groveling poor as I was, it made me sick to think about how much money is DEFRAUDED out of the American government by the vast majority of the "poor" who simply DON'T WANT to work.

So, yeah, I distinguish between the welfare frauds and the truly needy — and it's my educated opinion that the GREAT MAJORITY of those receiving welfare and food stamps and free housing are FRAUDS who should be forced to work or they should be tried, convicted and imprisoned for STEALING from the truly needy.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
After reading that, I am forced to remember about something else I once heard, "Let them eat cake." In todays economic problems the jobs are not there, and to come out and say let them starve, without a plan to boost the economy is like saying, there is the smoldering embers of a fire, lets pour gas on it, to keep warm. If the country was in an economic upturn, jobs all around, I could see something like that, but right now, it is one of the worst things to say. Yes there is a problem with society, but that does not lead to confidence of the people.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm from NC and this goes so far to reinforce every myth and stereotype people have about southerners and Christians. While in any group, there are those that abuse the system, in economic times like these, I am sure there are many that legitimately need help.
I bet he has never been hungry, or had life deal him a really bad hand, or wonder how long he was gonna be cold or how he was gonna get to work since his car broke down.
Although we have many different views here at ATS, I hope you don't take this close-minded viewpoint of SC's "finest" as typical of the majority of folks down here.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I love the compassion here for the 17 percent of this country that cannot find a job....and the millions that will lose their homes.

Not because of what they did...but because of what has been done to them.

Doc...

You can sit and bitch about how high and mighty you are...about how right you are....but in the end....

When it gets bad enough......the tide will turn.

Not only are prices far higher than they were when you were struggling...but jobs are nearly impossible to find.

If the majority opinion is F the poor...Well I must be in the minority. I forgot it's in the best interest of most Americans to s*** on everyone else.

Just wait.....things are going to continue to get worse. There will be more POOR WORTHLESS LEECHES. And in the end...

They will come for you.

IF I can't feed my family Doc....I'll come to your house first and steal all the food out of your fridge.

Doc overcame it...therefore anyone else who can't in Doc's mind is a POS. I'm glad you'll never be President.

You're an elitist without the power.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join