It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Movie I would Like to See Done Well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
So I've been doing some reading and have learned that JJ Abrams bought the rites of The Dark Tower series from Stephen King (for $19!) and is hoping to start production of said series into film after he has finished this final season of Lost.

For those of you haven't read these FANTASTIC books, I should kick your ass
. Get in gear and read one of the best series of books EVER written. For those of you who say "QQ I don't like Stephen King blah blah blah," this book is far from being anything like his other works. Yes, he still likes to screw his main characters and such over (that's kinda one of the reasons I like him haha) but that is about all that is the same. Get to reading. It also encompasses a lot of his other books. You'd have to read it to understand what that means.

So, after reading about how a movie might be in the works for this phenomenal series of books I got to thinking about the cast. I guess this is generally a question for those who have read the books: Who do you think should play the main set of characters in the books (Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean (aka Detta Walker, aka Mia), Jake Chambers, The Man in Black (who is also Randall Flagg from The Stand))? I just know that Roland and The Man in Black better be freaking spot on! I just thought I would get some opinions from others who may have read the books.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
So I've been doing some reading and have learned that JJ Abrams bought the rites of The Dark Tower series from Stephen King (for $19!) and is hoping to start production of said series into film after he has finished this final season of Lost.

I would rather see this made into a series as a film production, even with multiple episodes, would leave out far too much detail. A venue like HBO would allow all of the content to be conveyed from the novels without fear of censorship as well.

Who do you think should play the main set of characters in the books (Roland Deschain...

King always said the character of Roland was based on Clint Eastwood's 'Man With No Name' roles in the Sergio Leone epics.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Oh, yes. I do agree that it would make a much better series. I believe I would order the extra movie networks just for that haha. You could definitely stick to the story better having multiple episodes.

It would be really hard for me to say who I think should play Roland. Clint Eastwood is too old for the role of course. That's why I posed the question haha. I'm trying to think of a modern day equivalent of Clint Eastwood...

I believe Thomas Jane would be a good pick. As I read somewhere on the net, he plays a good dark character, and I completely agree. Sure he's been in some other Stephen King stuff but sometimes actors just click with a certain role, you know? I believe he would have to bulk up only a little bit and be a little bit more...shaggy....and dirty.

But I am sure they may be more actors that could pull it off. Hell, there may even be an unknown somewhere out there that would be perfect for the role.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
OMG I think I just saw the best suggestion for the actor to play Roland....*drum roll*......BRUCE CAMPBELL. I don't know why but that suggestion did it for me. I can totally see Bruce playing the role and hitting it on the head. Lose just a little bit of weight and there you go. Let the flaming begin

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This could never be done as a movie, even as a few of them... A cable series would be awesome though...and really original.... I know I'd watch...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Like I said above, I would pay the extra money it would take to buy the extra movie channels and such just to watch a mini series or whatever of the books.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Damon Lindelhof, longtime Abrams' collaborator, has dropped out of the Dark Tower project. He is quoted as saying that after 6 years of Lost he was wooried about jumping in to a possible 7 picture deal.

They good news is that Stephen King is allegedly working on Dark Tower VIII, the working title of which is The Wind Through the Keyhole, and is set between books IV and V.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by AugustusMasonicus]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

I'm currently reading Wizard and Glass and have really liked all the books so far. This is the first I have heard about the possibility of a series of films or a TV series and I think in JJ Abrams capable hands it would be great. $19! Why so cheap?

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
$19! Why so cheap?

The number 19 appears quite frequently in the Dark Tower series.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Yer I understand that but it doesn't sound like good business on Kings part why no $19,000? He's missed a trick there.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I like to think it's because maybe he isn't so money hungry haha. I guess it makes sense that the other guy would be worried about such a long running project, especially if the first movie doesn't fly. AND it would be EXTREMELY risky to try something like Peter Jackson did, making all the movies before knowing the outcome of the first.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

I wouldn't call it money hungry to get paid a fair price for something you have slaved over and put so much time into. But hey, it's his choice and if that's what is takes to get the films made then so be it

Peter Jackson is apparently making another novel series into films, the Mortal Engines Quartet by Philip Reeve, my favourite books of all time. Can't wait!

Oh, and Steven Spielberg is making Tintin too! Awesome.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I've never heard of those books. I'll have to look into them, especially if Jackson is doing something with them.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
King is a HUGE Lost fan....if you've ever read any of his columns in EW (Entertainment Weekly)....so I'm not too surprised at the $19 gimmick...besides, he probably worked in other royalty compensations, etc.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
AGREED! Perhaps it would make a better series though, definately something I would like to see in production either way.
For all you Dark Tower fans, there are comic books....

In case you were wondering (which you weren't) Wizards and Glass was my favorite this time around

new topics

top topics

join