Is There Life After Death (YES!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Dr. Jeffrey Long argues that if you look at the scientific evidence, the answer is unequivocally yes. Drawing on a decade's worth of research on near-death experiences — work that includes cataloguing the stories of some 1,600 people who have gone through them — he makes the case for that controversial conclusion in a new book, Evidence of the Afterlife. Medicine.

I think this is a deep problem to have a scientific evidence of these facts because to be a proof to the scientific community they have to be reproducible and this is not so far the case.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by marsvoltafan74

I agree.
You head the nail head-on. Your life now will determine your fate for the future. Once for all. It's like an examination, just much longer. You are put into a situation (a life with circumstances) and the rest is determined how you react to it.

You could be born a ruler with power and riches or you could be born into a average family or a poor family.

Your decisions shape your (eternal) life ahead based on choices and decisions.

Your outcome may be upon your life decisions made...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
so here's what I want to know then. what will happen when we are able to freeze people and bring them back 50, 100+ years later? Is their "soul" sucked out of heaven and put back into their body? what if they are "re-incarnated"? does the re-incarnated person die as the soul goes back to the old body?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

That my friend will never happen, and yes I said NEVER!..They are destroying the body far too great for it to ever have a chance of making a come back. Besides what if the guy froze is having a great time in his new after life, and they do suck his soul back in. (lol)

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well i say thats a load of phooey.The 1600 people he got his "evidence" from were near death...derrr if they nearly died there brains will of been all over the place.They near enough all work the same, what they see is proabbly what the brains does when its about to shut off.

If there is life after death, it would be one hell of a crowded place. And if there was ,would basicaly make the life you have now pointless.

If you can say thers life after death for humans then you cant leave out anything else either.

Example(lets make this a silly one): OK......Fish,Loads get caught killed ate everyday. Do you realy belive you going to be in hevan or hell with a load of cod flapping about?

After all they say god made everything (not that i belive in god)

Im sure some crack pot will say its only for humans blah blah trying to justify there own belives.

But there just stupid and thick . simple as haha

[edit on 24-1-2010 by MarktheSkepticUK]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Seems like a blunt claim to me. They were "near death", in which case how can they tell the difference between a dream and an afterlife.. And does there religious background have anything to do with it. I haven't read the article, but these questions probably aren't answered within..

We existed before our bodies as energy and when we die we return to energy.. But the question is there some rules in the energy state that allow us to live on.. Or will we just be energy soup? hmmm

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Whether or not there is an afterlife, Dr. Long does not present a compelling argument for it(from the time article):

How do you respond to skeptics who say there must be some biological or physiological basis for that kind of experience, which you say in the book is medically inexplicable?

There have been over 20 alternative, skeptical "explanations" for near-death experience. The reason is very clear: no one or several skeptical explanations make sense, even to the skeptics themselves. Or [else ]there wouldn't be so many.

The idea that "if there are multiple explanations for something none of the explanations can be correct" is clearly false. By his logic, the afterlife explanation also must not be correct because is one of several explanations for NDE experiences(the others being the skeptical explanations). The fact that this - according to him - is how he responds to skeptics who propose a conventional biological explanation means that he is really not in possession of compelling evidence. In fact this response is nonsense even if you don't know anything about the brain or medicine, it's deeply logically flawed.

Also, a clear connection between consciousness/conscious experience and the brain can be easily demonstrated experiementally. Any sort of mystical explanation would have to explain the proven relationship between brain states and states of consciousness, which Dr. Long makes no attempts to do.

As for the reports of experience from people who were "brain dead" during their NDE, as has been addressed already it is difficults to confirm that there was zero brain activity with an EEG or in any non-invasive way. Also, reporting the experience after the fact only proves that they have a memory of an experience, and not that the experience actually took place. It is possible that the memory is false.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
What I think it when you die. I think you go into a dream, hopefully you learn the technique of lucid dreaming, just a theory though.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpiritHipHop
What I think it when you die. I think you go into a dream, hopefully you learn the technique of lucid dreaming, just a theory though.

You can dream with a decomposing brain ?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I often think about this to myself and I have a few points to make about it. Well I am not a religious person in any sense, I have the view that there may have been a diety involved in the creation of the universe but after that had no influence in it. On that note, whenever I contemplate to myself about "life' after death I find myself often simplifying (in scientific terms) what a human being is. We are a multicellular organism of great complexity, due to the evolution from a prokaryotic ancestor to all organisms, billions of years ago. Okay so on that note I often find myself wondering where (or why) we would have obtained this ability to move on into the afterlife. If one argues that there is no defining line, then that means that all organisms (with the ability of conscious thought or not) experience an "afterlife". So every living entity that has ever existed including the dead cells of our bodies experience some form of "afterlife"? Well this is obviously a very far fetched conclusion, and certainly not likely. So one must come to the point that there has to be a defining line in terms of where an organism encounters this ability to move on into the "afterlife". At what stage in our evolution did this occur? Does a human fetus at an age of 3 days have this ability? It in no way resembles a human, yet it will in just a few months. Is there an underlying mystical force that gives this creature the ability to move into an "afterlife" once it say has enough brain function? If it's a measure of brain function, well then we come to the idea that many intelligent creatures on earth must also experience a form of "afterlife" in one way or another (dolphins, chimps, certain birds etc..)

After all that rambling the point i'm really trying to make is why do we consider humans to be so much more worthy of experiencing an afterlife than other intelligent creatures. If you understand the idea that other species have the ability to exhibit conscious behavior then that's fine, but then we must accept that certain creatures on earth also have an "afterlife". As well you must also accept that humans that are born without any brain function are not given this gift. Seems like a rather unfair system to me. Or is it just that we have developed the idea of "afterlife" along with spirituality and religion as a form of evolutionary defense, a defense from fear of the unknown, until we are able to comprehend and accept the universe for how it truly is. Certainly a species that realizes it's existence serves no true purpose would not care, and would not care to evolve in that sense. Evolution does not favor traits such as these, and therefore it would make sense that we would develop a mechanism similar to the idea of an "afterlife.

Now another question comes to mind for me in terms of evolution. If you're an open minded person then read this next paragraph, if not then maybe this is not for you. With no evidence I just want to ponder the idea that perhaps humans have evolved or are evolving to the "next step" in evolution, obviously a step that Darwin could not have observed lol. Perhaps once we develop an understanding for the universe and our brain waves begin to exhibit more power and function over the years, we gain the ability to "live" without physiological needs. And upon death we are released from our physiological form, yet an undiscovered mechanism in the brain that holds ones "energy" or "spirit" whatever you would like to call it, is essentially activated or deactivated. Upon this occurring maybe we move past a physical form and into a higher state or new "dimension" as some put it. Look it's a far fetched view and likely far from the truth but i'm just attempting to provide some solutions to this question.

So what do you guys think?

[edit on 24-1-2010 by WhatAmI]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilBat

Vid was a good watch saw it before...there is no denying this type of evidence

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I love the people that are so certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no life after death. A wise man knows only that he knows nothing.

However, I feel the same way about the people who feel so certain that there is life after death.

This is basically the epitome of the unknowable.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
What about this then, a 1 week old baby dies.. Does it have an afterlife? Is that fair on an undeveloped organism to then evolve to immortal stupidity? Would it actually matter?

But then we would wonder are we capable of growth in the next stage. Why?

What makes us different as people ? Knowledge, experience, physical DNA. At the base level, we are all the same thing really. Give a doll a brain, ability to learn and it will develop into a unique being as it collects knowledge. Multiply that scenario by human#'s.

All knowledge exists. We are the collectors, the ones shaped and defined by knowledge. It comes down to personal beliefs. I think we are all 1 consciousness that's made all this possible.. But whether it has decided to keep us on the other side as we are I don't know.. Maybe we just rejoin with it and realize that's what we were the whole time.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MarktheSkepticUK

>suggesting someone with a different opinion than you is stupid or thick
>not realizing how hypocritical that statement is
>continuing to make grammatical and spelling errors.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Your not the person you was last year atomically, but your soul is the same. Energy is indestructible and existence is infinitive, mathematically this may not be the first time you have been.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by windowlicker80]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
IMO, your death is when you can rest, you can enjoy the beuty of the world without a worry, why are you all thinking staying on Earth would be soo bad? I want to go to the jungles, see things i will never see in my waking life! But i think we dont have to stay here, one day the earth will die, but spirits cant, you cant destroy energy, i think we go to our own paradise, a world which exists within us for eternity, or we can choose reincarnation. But if thats wrong, i dont mind wandering around the universe

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Your are a soul, your body just transports it around with you untill you die, then your soul leaves, every living thing has a soul, even embryos, it doesnt matter what you look like, even if your born with 0 legs your soul is still there, the afterlife isnt about material place, you dont land in a physical place with xboxs and cnn.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Dr Long's beliefs seem IMO to be clouded by Western values....

There's a strong focus on religion and Jesus....which reflects the biased sample from which he's drawing his conclusions. Western patients=Western life after death experiences. Does the afterlife have a cultural bias? Or do the people making the claims?

One could easily argue that 'Jesus' is not a product of the West, or western values or even western mindsets. Being one of Middle eastern origin and Judaic background, is this now a question of 'Western' interpretation of Middle Eastern mindset/values? If so, does this in any way negate the basic premise of what the good Doctor is saying? If it's a question of cultural interpretation/values influencing our NDE's, do Muslims in the west see coca cola vending machines in their experience, rather than 70-1000 virgins/Allah/Mohammed/insert smart response here/?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Thanks for sharing the article, I'll be sure to pass this on to some family members and friends. Especially my father who had a near death experience when I was child; he was clinically dead after having a horrible heart attack.

I myself have experienced OBE's, although I'm not going to go in depth about them in this thread, you can check them out navigating through my profile if you wish. Skeptics alike are welcome to read, but people who have experienced OBE's know the facts, it's as simple as that (well not really, ha) but you just know things for certain once you have these experiences.

My life has changed [for the good] drastically from my experiences. I have become a better person, well rounded, and look at life completely different. It's beautiful and sincere and I love it.

I suggest everyone interested in these topics of 'life after death' really do some research and get points of view from everyone. You will never know the truth until you experience it yourself, and although faith is somewhat involved, spiritualist tend to believe things as fact (as do I) rather than feel the need to have faith in their beliefs. I will admit though that my views constantly change through deep thinking and meditation, but I like that about all of this. It helps me view things in new perspectives and I appreciate that ability to put myself in others shoes (something I've always been able too do) but now I understand things I never did before.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Your are a soul, your body just transports it around with you untill you die, then your soul leaves, every living thing has a soul, even embryos, it doesnt matter what you look like, even if your born with 0 legs your soul is still there, the afterlife isnt about material place, you dont land in a physical place with xboxs and cnn.

It doesnt even really carry you around. You interface with your body. Its a avatar. There is too much of you actually to fit in your body, you're more like a field, and you are interfacing in a multitasking kind of way, with many bodies on multiple timelines, past present and future though pretty much all at the same time. Thats the conclusion I've come to.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Unity_99]

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join