It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing the right SHTF weapon for beginners

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
i might add that a dog would be helpful, too. Of course, you could go for something like the Presa Canario, but it lacks the skills of the hunting dogs.

A good dog that would provide for both would be something like a Pit bull. Terriers are well known hunters, and provide for a tenacity that hounds don't normally possess.

A good dog is as strong a weapon as anything else.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
FOR BEGINNERS:
seriously, I wouldn't recommend a handgun for a beginner. A 22lr rifle, single shot to learn rifles.
Best would be a 20ga shotgun. Ammo actually cheaper than a 410 or 12ga.
You will be using it only for close quarters defense, but if you want more, take a course.
SHTF defense is not a beginners quest. Consider all the scenarios: mad max, armed forces, gangs, single survivors, groups of survivors. Forget the video games and movies, taking even one shot anywhere can put you out of action.
A 22 is an evil round, it can kill from almost any entry point----but it wont stop the bad guy from strangling you to death first. From close range, a 20ga shot round will. Center mass, hand, foot---doesn't matter.
So, for my recommendation, a pump action 20ga shotgun would be a good choice for a beginner.
You have 3 areas of defense---close, medium and long. Shotgun for close, handgun for medium, and rifle for long.
My theory is that a medium range threat will come closer, and a long range threat can be avoided.
Shotgun for close, toss a coin for medium, run away for long range threats.

Unless you are facing an organized armed force.
A 60 cal can cut down a forest.
Run away.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
For a complete beginner, I'd probably get them a semiautomatic 9mm or .40 carbine and be done with it. Sure, its just handgun packaged as a rifle, but it gives a beginner an easy to use, low recoil, lightweight weapon that they can be comfortable with and still be quite effective out to around 75 yards for defensive purposes and medium duty hunting.

The only downside is that the choices are a bit limited and can be on the expensive side. To that end, you could also consider a lever rifle such as a .30-30 or one of the .357 carbines out there as well. Both would be significantly more powerful, especially the .30-30, and are reasonably priced (granted, ammunition *will* be more expensive). On the downside, you lose semi automatic capability, and like any trade-off, you'd just have to decide if that's something you could afford to lose.

One plus with all of these is that ammunition is everywhere and I think the .30-30 might be the best of all in that respect. Every self-respecting gun shop in America sells ammunition for it, yet its definitely not going to be the first caliber that very many people reach for, unlike the military rounds, the more popular handgun rounds and certainly not the 12 gauge.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Pretty good choices. I have a 30-30 that was given to my by my dad. Rounds are a bit pricey, but it is a pretty powerful rifle (it'll drop a mule deer with little effort).

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

After some thought I think vor78 might have the right answer. Hi-point makes a fair carbine for pretty cheap ($350?). I might be mistaken but I think it comes in several calibers,
On the higher end of the scale there's the Beretta firestorm at around $800.
Carbines do offer the versatility for home/personal defense as well as hunting at short to medium ranges. They use common ammo and even accept certain pistol magazines.
They're certainly easy for beginners to shoot and have little to no recoil.
Those on the low budget can get a Ruger 10/22 for $200. For another $200 I'd get a handgun with a little stopping power (.40 cal or larger).
Solid advice friend

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
i dont live in america and find it almost impossible to find a gun in australia but i would take ( if i could ) an ak47 , mossberg 500, and a 45 cal desert eagle . with a small 38 cal revolver in my boot

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I will tell you all right now that you are all wrong! It doesn't matter what weapon you have, or what caliber it is. The best weapon for TSHTF is knowledge. If you have no clue about surviving, or use of your weapons then you are screwed. You might as well lay down and die.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I would go with what I used to carry on my sailboat.

12 ga Stainless Steel Riot Shotgun & a small .22 auto pistol with hollow point ammo.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Nice thread,

My opinion is to suggest any learner to go basic. Forget the Glocks and A.K.s. Stick to a revolver and bolt-action, nought will go wrong with a revolver, (unless you get your pen stuck in an empty chamber and it jams, then you deserve to die), it WILL rotate and fire. Remember one thing please, a handgun is a dangerous weapon, dangerous to the inexperienced, it can easily be pointed the wrong way and you do not want to go shooting yourself in the foot now do you? So do be very cautious when standing in front of the mirror playing around doing the "You talking to me?" scenario.

Revolvers are also easy to maintain, few moving parts, but do not kill them with kindness, when cleaning the barrel BE GENTLE, do not "scrub" it. Clean the weapon by using a very slow, straight "in and out" motion (there is room for a joke there) and do not allow your hand to apply sideway pressure, this will lead to an eventual wearing down of the exit point that will effect the accuracy of your weapon. Keep your weapon oiled, that is oiled, not OVER-oiled. (I use W.D. 40 or R.P.7, you know the stuff-comes in a spray can and in conjunction with a lighter makes a bloody good self defence tool in itself, point and spray over a flame, your subject will never be the same again).

When carrying your revolver think about your safety, keep the hammer on an empty chamber, sacrifice a round, you have six, use five, then if it is dropped etc. there is no chance of an unauthorised discharge, it has happened before and will happen (to the silly) again. Don't be silly.

Be aware of your weapon's recoil, use your muscles, counteract the action, use your stance, lean a little forward, master the recoil, do not let it master you.

Forget what you have seen on T.V., do not lengthen your arm pointing your weapon in your subject's face, (unless you wish to present your weapon to your subject), hold your weapon in such a manner where your wrists are about six inches away from your chest directly below your chin with your elbows pointing forward, this will prevent you being disarmed, the last thing you want is to be dispatched with your own side-arm. If you choose a low calibre weapon, (a .22 for example), you can "tuck it up", where your hand is holding the weapon under your armpit and pointing at your close subject, (you then have a free hand, think of the old Humphrey Bogart gangster stance), then there is no way that they will get their hands on it without sprouting lots of claret.

Aim at the "seen mass", forget head shots, go for the centre of the chest, pump two quick rounds into your subject and then assess the situation, if in doubt then you may put one in the head, if so then put it through the eye or the nape of the neck, the human skull is quite hard and we do not want any deflection of the projectile now do we?

Keep your rounds clean, if you are going to empty them out of the box and put them in your pocket or ammo bag then be careful, make sure there are no foriegn objects within your container, even lint may cause you a problem (I am not joking about that), again I say...keep your rounds clean.

Please remember, if you choose a revolver then keep in mind that the hammer of your pistol needs to make contact with the primer of the round, this situation can be negated by simple means, (a thumb placed between the two then renders the weapon useless), do not allow your weapon to come into your subject's reach, keep it close.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Nice thread,

My opinion is to suggest any learner to go basic. Forget the Glocks and A.K.s. Stick to a revolver and bolt-action, nought will go wrong with a revolver, (unless you get your pen stuck in an empty chamber and it jams, then you deserve to die), it WILL rotate and fire. Remember one thing please, a handgun is a dangerous weapon, dangerous to the inexperienced, it can easily be pointed the wrong way and you do not want to go shooting yourself in the foot now do you? So do be very cautious when standing in front of the mirror playing around doing the "You talking to me?" scenario.

Revolvers are also easy to maintain, few moving parts, but do not kill them with kindness, when cleaning the barrel BE GENTLE, do not "scrub" it. Clean the weapon by using a very slow, straight "in and out" motion (there is room for a joke there) and do not allow your hand to apply sideway pressure, this will lead to an eventual wearing down of the exit point that will effect the accuracy of your weapon. Keep your weapon oiled, that is oiled, not OVER-oiled. (I use W.D. 40 or R.P.7, you know the stuff-comes in a spray can and in conjunction with a lighter makes a bloody good self defence tool in itself, point and spray over a flame, your subject will never be the same again).

When carrying your revolver think about your safety, keep the hammer on an empty chamber, sacrifice a round, you have six, use five, then if it is dropped etc. there is no chance of an unauthorised discharge, it has happened before and will happen (to the silly) again. Don't be silly.

Be aware of your weapon's recoil, use your muscles, counteract the action, use your stance, lean a little forward, master the recoil, do not let it master you.

Forget what you have seen on T.V., do not lengthen your arm pointing your weapon in your subject's face, (unless you wish to present your weapon to your subject), hold your weapon in such a manner where your wrists are about six inches away from your chest directly below your chin with your elbows pointing forward, this will prevent you being disarmed, the last thing you want is to be dispatched with your own side-arm. If you choose a low calibre weapon, (a .22 for example), you can "tuck it up", where your hand is holding the weapon under your armpit and pointing at your close subject, (you then have a free hand, think of the old Humphrey Bogart gangster stance), then there is no way that they will get their hands on it without sprouting lots of claret.

Aim at the "seen mass", forget head shots, go for the centre of the chest, pump two quick rounds into your subject and then assess the situation, if in doubt then you may put one in the head, if so then put it through the eye or the nape of the neck, the human skull is quite hard and we do not want any deflection of the projectile now do we?

Keep your rounds clean, if you are going to empty them out of the box and put them in your pocket or ammo bag then be careful, make sure there are no foriegn objects within your container, even lint may cause you a problem (I am not joking about that), again I say...keep your rounds clean.

Please remember, if you choose a revolver then keep in mind that the hammer of your pistol needs to make contact with the primer of the round, this situation can be negated by simple means, (a thumb placed between the two then renders the weapon useless), do not allow your weapon to come into your subject's reach, keep it close.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
In my opinion, the best SHTF gun a beginner or someone who is new to firearms could purchase would be a Remington 870 12 gauge. I think owning a dependable and reliable shotgun should be on the top of your preparedness list. After you become more comfortable with guns, you can begin to augment your collection with a good handgun or rifle.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
:'(

I envy you Americans who can purchase guns. Don't do what us Aussies did and give them away.. The black market for guns in Australia is serious business. Guess my cricket bat will have to do.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I guess mine would be my brain its my number 1 weapon. Study how things work from the lowly rock to a Barret 50 cal. you never know when the SHTF may happen. When your away from any hand gun so then what? Think your way out find ways to not use a weapon don't call attention to your self. But beyond that any 12 ga. (sawed off) and a good side arm with a touch of a win 300 mag. for the ones you wont to reach out and touch.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff77ed8a6825.jpg[/atsimg]

sniper crowbar with bayonet, probably the best weapon you could have.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join