It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air America Going Under

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Listen to it where? It would need to be on the radio - - - which in these days is owned by Clear Channel.

As I said, corporate sponsorship DOES NOT CARE about your politics, only your ability to draw in an audience. That's ALL that matters to corporate sponsorship.

If Air America could draw in an audience, they could have ANY OUTLET they wanted. Get it?

But Air America's content COULD NOT and DID NOT draw in an audience.

No audience = No sponsorship.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/23/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Since when does "progressive" anything equal truth?

Surely you arent referencing certain public "progressives" and their twisted version of life as the truth are you?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I really think that this comes down to personalities and entertainment value. Say what you want about Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh. But they're a hell of a lot more charismatic and watchable than freaking Rachel Maddow, Ed Shultz, and Keith Olbermann.

It kind of reminds me of the old Hannity & Colmes. The right is charismatic and good looking while the left is weird and awkward looking.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lou Minotti

I really think that this comes down to personalities and entertainment value. Say what you want about Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh. But they're a hell of a lot more charismatic and watchable than freaking Rachel Maddow, Ed Shultz, and Keith Olbermann.

It kind of reminds me of the old Hannity & Colmes. The right is charismatic and good looking while the left is weird and awkward looking.

I don't think it says as much about the commentator as it does about the average human.

It always reminds me of the journalist who infiltrated the Republican Party campaign office. He said no one was interested in hearing positive stories - - - but the minute he mentioned his college roommate was a "cross dresser" - - every one wanted to know the details.

I now get my political news/opinions from Michelangelo Signorelli of OutQ XM radio. Its the best middle of the road unbiased program I've found so far. (and no I am not gay)

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lou Minotti

Exactly. You get it.

But there ARE entertaining liberals out there, and they proved themselves for decades. Look at NBC's Saturday Night Live, a consistently liberal team of comedians. SNL created and held THE hot Saturday night slot for damned near 30 years. Jay Leno and David Letterman were fairly unapologetic liberals in their early entertainment days, and they primarily bashed conservatives; but they've always been able to draw an audience, so they could call their own shots, right?

Rush Limbaugh draws such a titanic audience of both conservatives and liberals, he's been the biggest name in talk radio for nearly 20 years. What big bad corporation owns Rush Limbaugh? Well.. Who are his advertising sponsors? General Motors? General Electric? HA!

Rush sells mattresses and homeopathic cold remedies on his show, and he's still the biggest name in Radio. That's because he entertains better than anyone else, and he can call his own shots.

If Air America EVER actually entertained anyone, they TOO could call their own shots. However, Air America was depressing, it was pessimistic, and consequently they've lost everything.

No audience = No sponsorship.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

You obviously never listened to the Stephanie Miller show. Of course I guess since the channel was taken from me by moneyed interests and not fair market competition, she must have now been boring too.

P.S. Dennis Miller WAS the SNL news for years even after he left the show. Hardly a liberal.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
everyone knew they were going to go under soon. just didnt think it would happen right now.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lillydale
Dennis Miller WAS the SNL news for years even after he left the show. Hardly a liberal.

Now you're not in touch with reality. Dennis Miller was always the sly, insulting bastard on SNL. More than making political statements to the Right or Left, Miller attacked everyone — that was his trademark. Miller followed the National Lampoon credo: EVERYONE is FAIR GAME so long as NOBODY is left out.

Dennis Miller never "came out of the closet" as a conservative until the last 5 years or so. I remember when it happened. He had a fairly successful show on HBO, sort of a Dennis Miller Rants program, remember? Suddenly that show disappeared.

The next time I saw Miller, it was a one-time HBO special, and he was doing a straight-up conservative standup routine. Unapologetically right-wing. The audience wasn't particularly amused... and that was the last time I saw Dennis Miller in a high-profile vehicle of any kind. He was blacklisted, essentially, until Bill O'Reilly picked him up for conservative rants on O'Reilly's show.

So, Dennis Miller has only been openly conservative for a few years.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Rush Limbaugh draws such a titanic audience of both conservatives and liberals, he's been the biggest name in talk radio for nearly 20 years. What big bad corporation owns Rush Limbaugh? Well.. Who are his advertising sponsors? General Motors? General Electric? HA!

Leno and Letterman are Liberals because they bash conservatives? You really said that?

Rush Limbaugh is a "Carnival Barker"

IMO - - it says a lot about the average human that they choose a Carnival Barker as their political hero.

And I don't know one Liberal who listens to Rush.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Leno and Letterman are Liberals because they bash conservatives? You really said that?

No. I didn't say that. Those are the words you're trying to pin on me; however, I said Leno & Letterman were liberals in their early entertainment days, AND they primarily bashed conservatives. Not "because" they bashed conservatives.

Well, honey, if no liberals listen to Rush, then how do they build their monumental arguments against Limbaugh?

I mean, are you saying that the Arianna Huffingtons and Al Frankens DON'T listen to Rush? Then HOW can they fashion coherent rebuttals?

Oh, I just answered my own question. They DON'T have coherent rebuttals. LOL

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

IMO - - it says a lot about the average human that they choose a Carnival Barker as their political hero.

Once more, for the peanut gallery, Rush Limbaugh is not a "political hero"... He's an entertainer. No more and no less an entertainer than Jon Stewart or Glenn Beck.

Except that he's exceedingly wealthier than both those guys put together.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

No. I didn't say that. Those are the words you're trying to pin on me; however, I said Leno & Letterman were liberals in their early entertainment days, AND they primarily bashed conservatives. Not "because" they bashed conservatives.

Well, honey, if no liberals listen to Rush, then how do they build their monumental arguments against Limbaugh?

I mean, are you saying that the Arianna Huffingtons and Al Frankens DON'T listen to Rush? Then HOW can they fashion coherent rebuttals?

Oh, I just answered my own question. They DON'T have coherent rebuttals. LOL

— Doc Velocity

Being in the business of politics - - is a far cry from the average liberal.

But thanks for clarifying your meanings.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Once more, for the peanut gallery, Rush Limbaugh is not a "political hero"... He's an entertainer. No more and no less an entertainer than Jon Stewart or Glenn Beck.

Except that he's exceedingly wealthier than both those guys put together.

— Doc Velocity

Yes - I know Rush is an entertainer.

But then I am not a Ditto Head.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I know Rush is an entertainer. But then I am not a Ditto Head.

Neither am I. I don't listen to talk radio much at all — I'd rather listen to my very excellent personal playlists on CD. The only time I catch Limbaugh's act for a few minutes at a time is in-between CD changes.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hey, I'm not surprised.
On a very similar note, I actually miss the local progressive, liberal radio talk show station that only very recently bit the big one.

They claim they were switching to strictly internet based radio, and yes that's partly true (Rational Radio), but most of the original lineup has been wiped.

I'm not kidding, as soon as I would switch to 1360 AM I would literally count the seconds until I would hear someone blurt out the words, either:
Bush, Conservative, Republican, Fox or even Palin.
And it never took more than 45 seconds.

As for Air America, I wouldn't be surprised to know it was much of the same. Don't be surprised if they blame Bush for their demise and expect the fairness doctrine to get reinstated as a result.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I know Rush is an entertainer. But then I am not a Ditto Head.

Neither am I. I don't listen to talk radio much at all — I'd rather listen to my very excellent personal playlists on CD. The only time I catch Limbaugh's act for a few minutes at a time is in-between CD changes.

— Doc Velocity

You should live in SW Arizona where businesses blast Rush every day.

Most people there don't have conversations - - they have "talking points". Asking what they mean - - usually results in a blank stare. They have no clue - - but it has to be right because Limbaugh said it.

I know he is classified as an entertainer - - - - these people don't. To them he is a political hero.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Well, you know, anyone doubting the massive proliferation of liberal talk radio needs only to install iTunes and select the streaming "Talk Radio" lineup...

A solid 85% of the iTunes talk radio selections are Liberal (oh, pardon, "Progressive") talk stations from all across the country. Scan through the list, and you can count the number of "conservative" talk radio outlets on the fingers of one hand.

It's a ridiculous disparity.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Time will tell if the seed is succesfully planted.
Maybe Air America should also switch to the iTunes format.
I think people are realizing Libs are all talk and no action and are finally switching OFF.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Maybe Air America should also switch to the iTunes format.
I think people are realizing Libs are all talk and no action and are finally switching OFF.

Alas for Air America, they were on the iTunes lineup. They were, like, the No.1 "progressive" talk radio show on iTunes.

Pretty damned bad when Air America couldn't even hold an iTunes slot.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
After reading the thread thus far, I have seen that Glenn Beck's analysis on the Progressive left is pretty damn accurate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join