It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupider in the city.....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

Well, I have to say, being from a small town and curently residing in it, some of the dumbest people I have ever met are from right here. I mean, all we have in my town,a town of a population of about 12,000, are dope heads and ranchers. If it isn't about drugs or ranching, these people are lost.

So,yeah, I can see where you have a conundrum. You are now surrounded by people who may not be ate up with IQ, but they certainly know more than people from a smaller area.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I have been here 6 months, and people who never made an effort to hang out more than once are mad I am leaving. Why? Because they are jealous I get to do more with my life in the city. It's as simple as that!

Also look into getting a shower filter:

www.wellnessfilter.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by northexpedition
Funny, because I feel the opposite. I moved from a major city to the country, and I feel less challenged and intellectually stimulated. Not only that, but the people around me in the country seem to be really bored and not living up to their potential. I guess it depends on each person's individual situation. It's never a good idea to make blanket generalizations.

Well, that is what she is trying to say,I think. Did her living out in the country dull her mind? I think it does. Like I said, being from a small area, I can tell you, intellectualism is hard to come by in smaller areas.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I experience the opposite feeling whenever a holiday or birthday or death drags me back into the city for a visit.

They may sound sharper but if you pay attention to what they're doing most often they are running their mouths in circles as if to fill any empty space with their noise. They may move and speak faster but their words and actions are largely hollow. Void of any meaning or value.

They are confused and insecure so they ramble on about nothing with the largest words they know. Until the night comes and they rush out to self-medicate at their clubs and bars hoping to find what's missing in the end finding nothing more than nausea, anger and an empty wallet.

Everyday the same. Beating down your humanity one panhandler one screaming whore one honking cab one self-righteous hippy petition one beer reaking dumpster at a time.

My resolution this year is to forsake the relatives and friends I have left in the city. A card will do for the holidays and birthdays and I doubt I would missed at a funeral. After all, the individual would be dead.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by northexpedition
Another point I'd like to make. Since suburbia or country areas don't have a lot of walkable areas or things to do close by, then people tend to sit indoors 24/7 and veg on television and junk food to cure their boredom. Living in the city, I tended to roam around at random and go on bike rides, because there was always something interesting to be found. Most major cities have parks, if you are looking for nature. The noise argument makes no sense because a lot of apartments can be very quiet, depending on where you live.

I have done more sitting (indoors and driving in my car) and less walking since I've moved back to the country.

So there are less places to walk and ride your bike in the wide open country side than in a crowded city? And there is no noise in the cities becuase most apartments are 'very quiet' as opposed to what.. loud birds chrupping in the rural areas? You make no sense.

*bangs head on desk*

[edit on 23-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I can tell you, intellectualism is hard to come by in smaller areas.

I agree to a point, but how many FAKE intellectuals roam city streets?

In the country you have a slower pace. People choose those areas because they enjoy a slower lifestyle. They don't wan't to deal with 2 hour commutes, dirty air, homeless folks and pan handlers, gangs, brights lights, overpriced crap, etc...they want to change their own oil, eat at a place where they know everyone, where customer service is a by name thing, where they can go for an hours walk and not deal with bs, where they can take their ATV out for a ride, mountain bike out for a ride, go camping on a whim, enjoy nature and not concrete.

City folks USUALLY gravitate towards the high life...the BMW, the GUCCI accessories, the $50 a plate resteraunt with wine, valet parking, etc...these things make someone feel important, feel needed, feel like they made it...does that mean they are actually smarter? NO...

Its all personal choice and taste...I have done both, city and country, and they both have their perks and misery. But to answer the OP..IMO..city people are your BOOK smart people and country folks are your COMMON SENSE people...to keep it simple..

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

So there are less places to walk and ride your bike in the wide open country side than in a crowded city? And there is no noise in the cities becuase most apartments are 'very quiet' as opposed to what.. loud birds chrupping in the rural areas? You make no sense.

Well no, I never said the country was loud. When did I ever say that? I was just saying, its a misconception that all apartments in the city are like NYC apartments with cars honking at all hours, which is simply not true at all. I would argue my old apartment in the city was much quieter than where I live now, with meth addicts and drunks next door at all hours having a bonfire.

I am NOT saying the country makes you dumb, nor am I saying it's a bad place to live. You are turning this into classic city boy vs. country boy argument for no reason at all. I am just saying in my personal experience, I don't feel challenged living here, because I value diversity in the type of people and situations I come across.

There are places to go and see in the country, but the difference is, they are not "human" places. I am talking about intellectually stimulating on a human level. You can most definitely say that nature is intellectually stimulating, but I am talking sociologically here, where people group together and communicate, where new ideas and opinions are exchanged. Your entire worldview can be changed just sitting at a bus stop for 5 minutes talking to some random stranger. It can happen in the country too, but the frequency of encounters with different people is less likely. There is less "outside influence" of other people in your daily goings about because of the smaller population. Do you get what I'm saying?

I will always be a Texan 'til the day I die. That is a badge of honor I wear proudly. But at the same time, I know I can do more with my life and be more successful. It depends on your worldview (weltanschauung).

I was learning the German language, and I actually go to speak with people from Germany just walking around at random. I was approached by German tourists who were lost, and I helped them find their way. Another time I met a young lady on the bus. Another time I met a Brazilian who spoke German at the martial arts dojo. None of these situations would have happened in the country. I would have not been able to use my language skills in a "real world" situation.

Living in the city is very challenging, and you have to think on your feet a lot of the time. It's very hard to fall into a rut and stagnate when you have so many outside influences in your daily life.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Thank you

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by northexpedition

I too am a Texan till I die!
Ok, I agree there is much more human entertainment in big cities, there is always a new place to visit and someone new to meet. I thought you were just saying there are more places available to ride your bike in the city. I guess I read it wrong, my bad.

I never put the words 'the country is loud' in your mouth, I just saying the country isn't loud at all. Unless you live next to meth addicts that drive huge trucks and yell about seeing shadow people. LOL! I think every neighborhood has one house full of them.

I lived on West 68th St in NYC and there were sirens going off at all hours. Other than that there isn't loud commotion all of the time and it was relatively peaceful. However, fresh air for your brain might be a different story.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Hey...I resemble that. I do think that good fresh air and plenty of sun do make a difference. And you can see the stars at night, and hear the whipporwhill sing his song... wonder why he moved back?
I've been to Philly, Miami, Kansas City, St.Louis, Denver, Oahu, Seattle,Jacksonville, Savvanah, and Atlantic City...my favorite city in the whole world is Charleston, SC. But I still live in the country and wouldn't trade it for nothin...and yes, it do make ya'll Southern. Hell yeah.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I highly doubt that...unless of course your reasoning is pollution is affecting your ability to get enough oxygen to your brain. It depends what city you're in as well, high pollution areas can be like I stated in the first line, depriving the body of necessary oxygen, I lived in Philadelphia and I felt a lot smarter than I do now, And there is no pollution here, so I don't know whats going on here. Maybe the water?
....But IMHO, people south of the "Bible belt" Are really less intellectually developed, And I am trying to put it nicely, anyway I feel My IQ has dropped a bit since I have moved to the south of the Belt. And the people that have been here for any length of time, they're almost not even in the average IQ range any more, seriously.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

You wouldn't happen to be in Texas would you?
I love my state,but there are some DUMB asses here.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

No, In florida here, but It's close enough, lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I have a truck load of relatives from there, and my granmother I am staying with right now grew up in boxelder...lol...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
LOL,

Stupider is not a real word.

Brain is 'like' a muscle - the more you use it the better it computes.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Jinni]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
so it's been like 2 days, do you

feel smarter yet?

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I can relate a bit. I've never moved out of my nice big city myself, but when I go on holiday to more rural areas, I feel loads better than where I actually live. As soon as I step off the train somewhere rural, I don't get a single head ache for the entire duration of the holiday! And I get to sleep when I go to bed.

Then, after about an hour of being back home, my headaches return and I get all stressed and I've done nothing stressful! Must be the atmosphere I suppose... Ah well, roll on next holiday!

Ramadwarf on headaches and rurality

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I am guessing it has a bit to do with preoccupation.

Specifically, your mind is processing additional stimuli, multitasking a complex system that includes worrying if you have parked to long in a 4 hour parking space, when you will have to leave to get to an appointment on time, factoring in traffic, all of the additional bustle needs to be processed and evaluated by your senses as well. .

I think your brain just needs more RAM.

Seriously, a lot is going on behind the scenes that is affecting your subconscious that wasn't there when you were in the peaceful countryside. It will have a taxing effect on your cognitive abilities.

[edit on 1/26/2010 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well, I KNOW stupider is not a real word, lol...

I am back in my house in the country for the past few days.

I think many are right on here.

I am pretty sure it is a combination of the water, and being distracted by everyone elses problems.

I was staying with my grandmother, and her emotional needs are up past about 10 4 year olds.....it is SOOOOOO draining!

So once I get back to the city it shoudl be better when I am in my own place.

It is pretty much in the woods, and more on the outskirts, so I should be way better.

I also am sure there was some sleep depriation going on, as my grandmother is almost a stalker like person.....comming into my room at 2am, 3am, 4am, then starts harrassing me by 7am ish, and when I finally get up around 9am, she goes down for a 5 hour nap!

then around 2pm I am ready for a nap, and she snaps awake and starts acting like I am some criminal for wanting a nap, and says I should get to bed earlier than midnight for once....lol, but she wakes me up every hour and I have insomnia as it is, so she basically keeps me up all night.

No more grandma, and I think things will improve dramatically again!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse
I have a truck load of relatives from there, and my granmother I am staying with right now grew up in boxelder...lol...

Where the hell is Boxelder?
That's almost as bad as Dime box, Texas!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join