It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupider in the city.....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
For a few personal reasons, I am back in the city again for the first time in 5 years...

I am reading my posts and thinking, WTH???? Where has my brain gone?

I look like a complete airhead latley. I don't seem to be able to explain anything in a comprehedable manner, etc...

I just ate an apple, mabey that gave me enough proper hydration to have enough of a brain for a minute to even come up with this thread.....

Does anyone else notice after long peroids in the country, they lose their smarts when they get back into the city?

Any tips on regaining my intellect??

[edit on 23-1-2010 by mellisamouse]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

Maybe it's all that nasty smog interfering with your brain function.

Seriously though, no, I can't relate to what you're experiencing.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Use Firefox. It comes with an inbuilt spell-checker. This will help you regain your intellect.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse
Does anyone else notice after long peroids in the country, they lose their smarts when they get back into the city?

I will tell you in about 2 and a half months when I move back to a large city

Maybe stimulate your brain with some brain teasers or mind stimulating games?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
i cant relate to this, but i can say that reading a book then at the end of each chapter have a good think about what it meant and what it communicated to you is good for getting your brain working, that and general mental excercises like visualization (picturing an object from different angles etc.) seem to get a pretty good reaction from people that've tried.

hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

So, are you saying that once you live in the city, then move out to rural, then move back to the city you feel less smart??

You may have some credit here because some people wayyyyyy out in the country without internet access can become ,,,,, welll,,,, you know......"southern". hehe j/k,,,,,

anyways, I don't believe it is where you live, I believe it is where you get your information from....

Did you get your last months worth of information from your priest ? Or did you get your last months worth of information from the internet?

Don't take that wrong, but I'm pretty sure you know what I meant.

Anyways, this maybe off topic, but if you are in the city and sit-x happens you are screwed. Get out of the city if you want any chance of survival in " Sit-x "

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I know, I never wanted to come back to the city... I am going to be getting a place up the mountain top at the beginging of the month so it should be a tad better then in trafic land etc..

BUT there are a ton of other city people who seem mentally sharp, so what are they doing right???

Could it be drinking the tap water, with a combination af the air pollution and electromagnetic pollution? Probly!

But how do you combat that??

I know a ton of you people are in the city, and are as sharp as a whip, so any advice??

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I can relate. I moved out of a big city[Phx.] and into a rural environment 3 years ago. Speaking for myself, when I lived in Phx. I was stressed most of the time and alot of the decisions I made turned bad. When I'm stressed I can't think as logically as I can when I'm not.

Moving to the country has done wonders for me personally. Closer to nature, the pace isn't as fast, it just suits me better than the city does.

Maybe it's not that your're getting "stupider" , maybe you just can't function as well with all that commontion and noise around you all the time.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I think it's just a question of where do you feel more comfortable at?

I'm more mentally sharp in the country then I am in the city simply beacuse I'm more at ease here. The opposite could be true for other folks.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican

So, are you saying that once you live in the city, then move out to rural, then move back to the city you feel less smart??

You may have some credit here because some people wayyyyyy out in the country without internet access can become ,,,,, welll,,,, you know......"southern". hehe j/k,,,,,

anyways, I don't believe it is where you live, I believe it is where you get your information from....

Did you get your last months worth of information from your priest ? Or did you get your last months worth of information from the internet?

Don't take that wrong, but I'm pretty sure you know what I meant.

Anyways, this maybe off topic, but if you are in the city and sit-x happens you are screwed. Get out of the city if you want any chance of survival in " Sit-x "
I don't follow you! I don't :get" what you meant.
I've been in the city too long, so roll it to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have been reading posts I am embearrassed of...not just spelling, but plain wrong, and BAD communication.....

Not me at ALL, like some attitude has taken me over. I am ashamed and have shed a few tears over it.

It has only been just over a week....

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Noise
It distracts the human brain
it interferes with concentrating on
issues at hand
Visual
More to see more to distract
Pollution
brain damage raise's heart rate

I go threw this every time I go to city to get supplies

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
i don't like cities at all
way too busy,i like smaller beach towns.
can't live without my oceans
old school beach bum

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Maybe it was a joke or maybe you are just more stupid than normal.

Maybe you just came to a realization of how stupid you were and now you are more smartiest than you have ever been.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I think I am starting to believe there may be anti depressants and medications getting into the water supply......I need to do something asap I guess....

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Funny, because I feel the opposite. I moved from a major city to the country, and I feel less challenged and intellectually stimulated. Not only that, but the people around me in the country seem to be really bored and not living up to their potential. I guess it depends on each person's individual situation. It's never a good idea to make blanket generalizations.

I tend to meet a lot of foreigners living in a major city. Lots of different ethnicities and cultures jumbled into one area. A lot of the smartest people I met were European tourists or students who had a totally different view on life. You'd never meet those characters living in the country.

I will say that the country does have the effect of recharging your batteries after a lot of stress, which is why I did this (divorce, blah). However, you can always drive a ways away and go camping every weekend, right? Kind of punches a hole in your argument there, eh?

I'm actually moving back to the city because there is no challenge here in the country. I don't feel like I have to fight to survive out here, so I use less brain power. I don't have to make any major decisions, and there is less competition for jobs.

You should move to a major city with minimal air pollution, take up a jogging regimen, and purchase a counter top water distiller if you're worried about your water supply being drugged. That will wake up your brain.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by northexpedition]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I can sort of relate. I don't feel more "stupid" but there are other things that I do feel. I've also recently returned to the city (left about 6 years ago, now back) and many "issues" are returning. I don't sleep well, more stressed, I feel like the switch is always "on" ... Conscious attention to ensure that I eat well and exercise does help, quite a bit. Also, finding time to get out of the "busy" that is part of the city is critical (for me) even if it's a quiet corner in a large park.

I am lucky that we do sport the largest urban natural forest reserve in the US, which means endless hiking and mtn. biking within easy reach (I don't have to drive to the mtns. if I don't want to) and it can be a sanity-savor. Basically, my advice is to find what gives you balance. Actively ensure that you carve out time for yourself to rejuvenate. Cheers.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Another point I'd like to make. Since suburbia or country areas don't have a lot of walkable areas or things to do close by, then people tend to sit indoors 24/7 and veg on television and junk food to cure their boredom. Living in the city, I tended to roam around at random and go on bike rides, because there was always something interesting to be found. Most major cities have parks, if you are looking for nature. The noise argument makes no sense because a lot of apartments can be very quiet, depending on where you live.

I have done more sitting (indoors and driving in my car) and less walking since I've moved back to the country.

Study: Sitting too much could be deadly

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by northexpedition

Good points. See, it is true where I lived too, people bored and not challenged etc.

I think your'e right I need a distiller.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Cheers. Thanks to you too. I am in forrest mountains galore once I get into my new place, so that gives me some hope, I have to remind myself nature is my healer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join