It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brightly lit clouds...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Does anyone know what this is? At first it seems like the sun is behind it, but in one of the frames the suns position is elsewhere.

Thoughts? Oz?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Pileus cloud without a doubt

I detailed it on one of my sticky threads below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Blimey thats well weird,,,did the aliens saw a hole out the sky,,thats just what it looks like,,a saw'd hole.

I dont know if something like this is possible just by what clouds do and letting sun through.

Gotta go watch it again

S&F Good find

Seen OZ's post,,Pileus cloud,,wow they are amazing!

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Alienmindflare]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Holy non existant silver lining Batman.
All I can say is I never seen anything like that before.
That's a little erie. Waiting for explanations on this one.

That's an awesome thread Oz.
I'm sure you know what you are talking about as well.
That thing just looks ominus.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Not entirely sure, OzWeatherman, that I can agree with your theory/opinion that it is a Pileus Cloud. The clouds that I've seen on the internet, never in person, far as Pileus clouds, are more a nature of a hew, or dim mist, it seems. The event in the OP is actually greatly different in the colors in the OP are varied, and seem to radiate from the clouds, plus, the sun is to the right, so I'm not sure if I can believe the sun did this, at the angle, and with the warm air coming up and all that. Just seems too different and out of place. Not saying it isn't, but not sure I buy it. Very interesting, none the less. Would be very interesting to observe this event in person.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
holy! that's beautiful but i'd crap myself if one of those turned up over me.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

cool looking cloud. It looked just like the ships in Independence Day.
how was Oz there in 2 minutes? Did you put out the bat signal?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RadiatorOfTheLight

Well, not to brag, but I actually had to report these for a living. The were of particular concern (due to the indication if convective cloud activity and predicted development) when I was working in the tropics as they determined wind shears at certain heights. Depending on the height of the sun, pileus clouds can glow from anything like the one in the image, or even bright yellow or orange during sunset.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I can see the similarity.

However, I have trouble understanding the light source and effect. Is this kind of result common?

EDIT:

I see your answer in your last post.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
S&F

I have never seen anything like that before ever. That is amazing although at first i thought it was part of a film like district 9, coz at first look i thought it looked like vapours from the clouds interfering with the sun like a prism effect, then my daughter says its like a ufo hiding on a cloud. Then she said looks like that invisibility cloak thing must be broke then laughed and went out. Which left me looking at it again and can see what she was talking about?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I can see the similarity.

However, I have trouble understanding the light source and effect. Is this kind of result common?

Yep,

The lower parts of the cloud are obscuring the sun (which is low on the horizon in the video). If anyones familair with clouds, look at sunrise or sunset, and see which clouds are brightly lit first. You will notice that the high clouds types, cirrus, cirrostratus, cirrocumulus and the tops of cumulonimbus and cumulus clouds will always be the first to be lit up by the sun. Reason being is that although the sun is obscured, the light angles will still reach the upper parts of the troposphere illuminating clouds in the higher reaches of the troposphere.

Im not sure if anyones spent anytime in the tropics during the wet season, but its quite common when a large cumulus or cumulonimbus cloud is on the horizon

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I see....what an interesting career I bet that was. Well, I can take your word for it, I don't usually see many posts by you unless it's in regard to weather. And your replies seem intelligient for the most part. Interesting either way... thanks for the input

new topics

top topics

join