It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CCTV in the sky: police plan to use military-style spy drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

CCTV in the sky: police plan to use military-style spy drones

www.guardian.co.uk

"Police in the UK are planning to use unmanned spy drones, controversially deployed in Afghanistan, for the ­"routine" monitoring of antisocial motorists, ­protesters, agricultural thieves and fly-tippers, in a significant expansion of covert state surveillance."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The UK is becoming unbearable, and from many of the comments below the article, I am not the only one who thinks so!

They want to monitor Protesters.....The last time I looked, "protestng" was not an illegal act, the wording of this article (and many like it) subconsciously reinforce in people that protesting is undesirable to the system.
They want to monitor antisocial motorists - this is on top of the army of wardens, speed cameras, police vans etc....UK motorists must be one of the most oppressed group of people in the world.
Agricultural thieves?? - are things going to get so tough we will all be looting the fields??
Fly tippers - more people are resorting to fly tipping because of the level of nonsense created in the last few years - despite astronomical taxation despite making us all sort out our own rubbish, they have a whole list of reasons why they cannot take your bins...and when they won't ...you can't even take it to the tip without your details being taken by camera, and being interrogated as to the nature of your rubbish and you are limited on the number of times you can tip.

It is just another tightening of the screw on surveillance, no one can escape the system, you are always on the grid.....is this the kind of oppression we want for our children???

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
They already use them, just not that model

Tried to find the article about it but can't, I'll keep looking, was something like transport police use drone

Lines

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Great...so they are going to use them 24/7 by the sounds of it,if they want to use it to bust antisocial motorists.

Another perversion of technology to make us all fear we are being watched,under suspicion,potential criminals.
All those speed cameras/cctv etc etc not oppressive enough it appears.

Hope our poor coppers have got good gym facilities at their stations...they will need it as soon they will become obese from never leaving their desks if this silliness carrys on much longer.

Oh well,lets just hope that a massive solar flare happens in 2012 and fries the circuitry of the damned NWO machine.
Drones flying about watching joe public as he goes about his business in this once green and pleasant land...Just great.
How long before they equip them with hellfires I wonder?
No need for ASBOs then hey?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Is this what you were looking for Pockets ?

The Vulture

The eye in the sky - unmanned surveillance for five yeare continuously

LINK

Or this one - the ARGUS, used by the army

LINK

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I remember watching a episode of "Police Camera Action" many years ago where these UAVs were being planned, including one model which was in its experimental stage used for Football Crowd control.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

They reveal the partnership intends to begin using the drones in time for the 2012 Olympics. They also indicate that police claims that the technology will be used for maritime surveillance fall well short of their intended use – which could span a range of police activity – and that officers have talked about selling the surveillance data to private companies. A prototype drone equipped with high-powered cameras and sensors

www.guardian.co.uk...

Whaaat? They have talked about doing WHAT???
You are police-the protectors of society,not commercial businessmen who trade in data concerning movements/behaviour of the general public for profit!!!!!!!
What the hell are they going on about?Are they crazy?

sensors
--hmm what sensors??
Microphones,infra red,thermal, Long range RFID,ANPR,What?
I want more info,anyone know the exact model they intend to use?

Are we all to be monitored as though we are prisoners in our own country now?
This is accelerating the totalitarian tiptoe into a totalitarian leap IMO.
Was their any form of political debate/vote on this drone crap?
Is it legal under human rights laws?
Whose idea was it?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
No doubt the obama administration is watching these developments closely. They would no doubt try to use these drones to be able to keep an eye on Fox News viewers and other "terrorists" here in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

This is how they do it see...They introduce a nice mini project like the drones watching football matches between bad rivals,so that it sounds reasonable-to prevent violence etc...then they roll out the project and its all of us who are the target nowyou,your grandmother,your neighbors etc..,not just the known crime hotspots.(they did the same with the blue roadside cameras remember??First they were just traffic rate monitoring-now they are in fact being used for ANPR as well)
We are all under suspicion,thats how they want us to feel-problem is that may be a great tactic to prevent criminals re offending-
BUT WE ARE NOT ALL CRIMINALS!And do not deserve to be tarred with that brush.
Makes me want to puke quiet frankly.
Of course it also will make the police more disliked by the public,and the police will react accordingly,pushing for new laws,powers and more spying because the public are more distrustful of them...Catch 22.Great.

My buddy was a copper for 20 odd years,and he said its drummed into the cops that 1 in 3 houses has serious crimes hidden within--How darkside it must be to feel that about your fellow man-your brothers and sisters essentially...It must be a horrible thing to feel most people are criminals.
Not only that-its just plain wrong in my experience.
Just plain wrong.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

No that is not them, good job though, the article seems to of dropped away from the web and I can't find it, it mentioned that the drone had a means of dropping ink on crooks so it was armed, the transport police were using them to look for thieves taking things from railways

I'll keep looking, sure it wasn't last year but the year before

Edit to add:

Found the (UAV) and an article, but it says they are planning to use them, the article I read was bragging about successful jobs

www.markpascua.com...

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets
it mentioned that the drone had a means of dropping ink on crooks so it was armed, the transport police were using them to look for thieves taking things from railways.

Sounds like another badly thought out idea-what if the ink spreads to people who have nothing to do with any crime,but are implicated by the ink...say you walk your dog over an area that has been "inked" and you are then scanned by as yet unknown "sensors"on board the UAV's and found to be tainted with the ink?
Or the wind blows some ink onto your car etc etc...

Who are the fools employed by the technological perverts of the NWO(or whatever name you choose to give it), who seek to re arrange humanity???

Why do they seek to abuse our gift of technology for their own ends?

More importantly-Why the hell do us little people let them get away with it?

If we could suss that out on ATS,we could create a better world IMO.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Who are the fools employed by the technological perverts of the NWO

Not me, I assure you

Why do they seek to abuse our gift of technology for their own ends?

Greed, Power, Self satisfaction and maybe fear for there lives

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I think I know what Pockets is talking about. About a year ago a few police forces in the UK introduced these drones that were rotor powered and covered in CCTV cameras, they made it a few dozen metres up so they are used for watching people closely. Back gardens, parks and that sort of thing.

I was going to post this story but you beat me to it

-Cauch1

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The technology is simple enough to buy off the shelf, has a range of anything upto 3 miles, and fits nicely in the nose of a small R/C aeroplane..

The technology in action..

I doubt it will be long before we see 1/20 scale dogfights in the skies

[edit on 25-1-2010 by timski]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
[expletive]

Kinds really sums up how I feel about them... do they not know it makes no difference.. the further they push this the worse the backlash actually will be.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by timski

The technology is simple enough to buy off the shelf

It may be, but as soon as someone finds out your controlling a flying camera you'll be in big trouble, flying with out a licence and a whole host of issues

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
As soon as I read the title of this post on the 'recent' list... I had a feeling it was about England.

England is the CCTV maaaaaaaster!

I can't say I blame them though. If you're going to do something, why not do it right. There's cameras everywhere anyway.... what's a few more silently lurking above you going to do?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

With all the survielance around in the Cities i'm surprised more is needed... we are all crminals now it seems....

As for the people.... well, we too can monitor others with our mobile phones....

S+F for this....

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
news.sky.com... ?lpos=UK_News_First_Strange_News__Article_Teaser_Region__0&lid=ARTICLE_15547615_Police_Spy_Drone_In_Merseyside_Makes_Its_First_Arrest_Using_Thermal_Im agine_Equipment

lines

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
i hope this link helps people too about the uk drones and robot police, i guess its a step towards a full robot police force.

www.wired.co.uk...

top topics

join