It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says US court ruling a blow to democracy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
From Reuters

President Obama takes a stand on Supreme Court Decision

After a day of heated debates here, Obama answers the question as to where he stand on this decision, and why.

The article Source Reuters

Ruling could send flood of cash into US political races

* Obama worries about 'foreign entities' getting involved

By Ross Colvin

WASHINGTON, Jan 23 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama launched an extraordinary attack on the U.S. Supreme Court on Saturday, saying a ruling on corporate donations to political campaigns this week "strikes at democracy itself."

Obama's broadside was triggered by a 5-4 ruling by the court's justices on Thursday that removed long-standing campaign finance limits and allowed corporations to spend freely in campaigns for president and Congress. In the ruling, the court's conservative majority said the limits had violated corporations' constitutional right to free speech.

The ruling is expected to unleash a flood of money into this year's congressional elections. Obama's fellow Democrats face a struggle to retain control of the U.S. Congress amid voter unhappiness over double-digit unemployment, a record deficit, political gridlock in Washington and other matters.

"This ruling opens the floodgates for an unlimited amount of special interest money into our democracy," Obama said in his weekly radio and Internet address.

"It gives the special interest lobbyists new leverage to spend millions on advertising to persuade elected officials to vote their way -- or to punish those who don't. This ruling strikes at democracy itself," Obama said.

In the 2008 election cycle, nearly $6 billion was spent on all federal election campaigns, including more than $1 billion from corporate political action committees, trade associations, executives and lobbyists.

REPUBLICANS PRAISE RULING

Democrats fear that a lot of the corporate money unleashed into U.S. political campaigns by the ruling will go to Republicans, traditional allies of big business.

Republicans already were expressing optimism about erasing the Democratic majorities in the House of Representatives and the Senate in November's elections. Republican control of either the House or Senate could cripple Obama's ability to get key policy initiatives through Congress.

Republican Party chairman Michael Steele has praised the court's ruling, saying free speech strengthened democracy.

Obama blasted the ruling the day it was issued, and expanded on his criticism in Saturday's remarks.

The Supreme Court ruling dealt a powerful blow to efforts to rein in corporate influence and could even allow foreign corporations to "get into the act," Obama said.

"It will make it more difficult to pass common-sense laws to promote energy independence because even foreign entities would be allowed to mix in our elections," Obama said.

It also will impede efforts to pass financial regulatory reforms and will give the health insurance industry "even more leverage to fend off reforms that would protect patients," he said, referring to the industry's opposition to his efforts to overhaul the $2.5 trillion U.S. healthcare industry.

Obama came into office vowing to curb the influence of powerful lobbyists for banks, health insurance companies and other special interest groups in Washington.

He said his administration had barred gifts from lobbyists to administration officials and "closed the revolving door between lobbying firms and the government" so that no one in his administration would make decisions based on the interests of former or future employers.

Obama said he had instructed his administration to work immediately with Congress to develop a forceful, bipartisan response to the ruling.

"We have begun that work, and it will be a priority for us until we repair the damage that has been done," he said.

End Quote

This should let everyone know where Obama stands.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

I just posted this exact same thing before you, I'm not sure if you are alowed to repost something or not. Mods check this out.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Fair enough show me yours

saw it

Both say 8:31

[edit on 23-1-2010 by ziggystrange]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is mine. If we are both at 8:31 I guess it really doesn't make a difference.

Besides yours is more informative.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

If the mods don't close one I have no problems sharing

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Nothing will save the Obamanation now that people and businesses can back politicians just like the unions have been doing for years with the blessing of the liberal demoncrats. The messiah being worried about 'foreign entities' getting involved brings back memories of the Cliton era, and poor monks with millions in communist China donations for Willie and the demoncrats. What the messiah is really worried about is a level field.

"Nothing can stop the winds of change!"

Maybe this is the change the messiah was talking about.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'm not an Obama fan, nor a supporter of secrecy-based (by definition) government (as we know it) in general, but I agree with the President on this one. Only in a twisted (by definition) vampirocracy (corporatocracy) would money-spending be equated with free speech. I predict future critics will be particularly merciless on that insane notion. "And may I introduce the esteemed candidate from Exxon..." And yes, I'm equally against candidate ownership by unions and whatever special interests.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

quote from OP :
"Obama's broadside was triggered by a 5-4 ruling by the court's justices on Thursday that removed long-standing campaign finance limits and allowed corporations to spend freely in campaigns for president and Congress. In the ruling, the court's conservative majority said the limits had violated corporations' constitutional right to free speech. "

Remember that not-so-funny CO2 ad on Fox News and local Texas channels saying that CO2 is good for the planet ?

I have a feeling that Halliburton and friends are gonna spend a loooot of money in the next campaign to brainwash voters, one ad every 15minutes for 6 months and the deal is done.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

* Obama worries about 'foreign entities' getting involved

does he now?
newsmax.com...
Secret, Foreign Money Floods Into Obama Campaign

More than half of the whopping $426.9 million Barack Obama has raised has come from small donors whose names the Obama campaign won't disclose.

And questions have arisen about millions more in foreign donations the Obama campaign has received that apparently have not been vetted as legitimate.

[edit on 093131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
They sold America to the highest bidder. It was bad enough when it had to be done covertly.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MattMulder

Obama's brainwashing techniques were unprecedented.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystrange
reply to post by Misoir

If the mods don't close one I have no problems sharing

I would prefer them closing mine because yours is better anyways. No worrys.

[spelling]

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I just don't understand how they (SCOTUS) came to this decision. Corporations are not citizens, they don't have rights under the constitution. The people that own these corporations may have rights, but the corporations themselves do not.

A corporation itself cannot vote.

[edit on 1/23/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Watsa? “Obama worries”? “Obama launched an extraordinary attack on the U.S. Supreme Court on Saturday”? “Obama's broadside”?

Truth is the “elite” is PARTYING right now including Obama, one of their finest members. In one of our darkest hours. Obama's “statements” are nothing but the standard lies and procedure to fool the public into believing there were a “fight” behind the scenes between different parties/the President over the constitutional rights. To soothe the gullible population.

The President's "fight" for the people’s constitutional rights? Hilarious. Oh, wait, there is a fight raging right now between the politicians (R&D), Obama, and Supreme Court members: The fight over the best bottles of party wine and champaign.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

This Article to me is just another attempt by the PTB behind the Scenes to Misdirect the American People concerning this recent Supreme Court Ruling . Both Reps And Dems will reap their rewards with increased Campaign Spending because of their decision here , and to Slant this Story to make the Reps look like the Bad Guys to me is just Pure Propaganda ! Meanwhile , the Biggest Losers are the Masses of American People who will now have Less Impact in deciding who will Represent them . A sad Day for America Indeed..............

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I just don't understand how they (SCOTUS) came to this decision. Corporations are not citizens, they don't have rights under the constitution. The people that own these corporations may have rights, but the corporations themselves do not.

A corporation itself cannot vote.

But they have lobbiests and money to pay for advertising that GETs votes.

It's a sad, sad day for America to be turned over to the multinational corps.

We now have a Corporatracy rather than a Democratic-Republic.

Sad day indeed!

This isn't a partisan issue. We all lost.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The president contrasted the Supreme Court's stance with that taken by his administration, saying that his White House has "closed the revolving door" between government and special-interest lobbying and has barred gifts from federal lobbyists to executive branch officials. And, for the first time, Obama said his administration is publicly disclosing the names of those who visit the White House each day, a list that includes lobbyists.

online.wsj.com...

PACs and lobbyists aided Obama's rise
Data contrast with his theme
www.boston.com...

Though Obama has returned thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from registered federal lobbyists since he declared his candidacy in February, his presidential campaign has maintained ties with lobbyists and lobbying firms to help raise some of the $58.9 million he collected through the first six months of 2007. Obama has raised more than $1.4 million from members of law and consultancy firms led by partners who are lobbyists, The Los Angeles Times reported last week. And The Hill, a Washington newspaper, reported earlier this year that Obama's campaign had reached out to lobbyists' networks to use their contacts to help build his fund-raising base.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I am mistrustful of anything that comes from reuters and the associated press as a rule but whether or not Obama is sincered doesn't matter to me on this one. People listen to him and like him and if he can get the message to them that this is a bad move then that may be the only way the sheeple decide they don't like it too.

The absurdity of removing restrictions, yet again, is staggering.

Cheers

SM2

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Not sure if i can agree with this decision, but my question is this. How can this man of all people say anything about special interests? Everything he has done so far is nothing more than one kick back after another for one special interest or another. I wonder how much longer people will fall fall for his gibberish.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The liberal justices were against it, liberals are screaming foul, and now Barack (CSPAN) Obama is against it.

This tells me the Supreme Court made the right decision!

Liberals hate freedom of speech, and this just proves it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join