It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video catches NYC cops punching handcuffed man in head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Video catches NYC cops punching handcuffed man in head

rawstory.com

Two New York City police officers have been suspended without pay after video surfaced of them punching a suspect who was handcuffed and lying on the ground.

The video, obtained by the New York Daily News, shows officers John Cicero and William Green repeatedly hitting Johnathan Baez in the head. Baez was one of eight men apprehended during an undercover drug sting gone awry in the Bronx on Jan. 5.

"This is not an isolated incident," Baez' lawyer, Jeffrey Emdin, said. "What sets this apart is that it was caught on tape."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Not only to protect and serve, but judge, jury and the giver of punishment.

I completely understand the scumbags that LEOs come in contact with but a level of professionalism needs to be displayed. It is not infrequent that LEOs have beaten, tazered and arrested innocent people.

My solution to the problem of police brutality is to fire all the unstable cops and replace them with professionals and pay them accordingly.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Suspension without pay.

That's like.. what.. the first time in history a cop hasn't been given a paid vacation?

I recognize the crap that cops have to put up with, but man.. just get a grip people, there is no excuse for this behavior, ever. It's about time they get suspended without pay, that is seriously rare.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

At my gym there are a lot of cops that work out there and they try to be nice to us civilians but I still feel an undercurrent of anger and disgust to even young pretty girls. The pretty girls now seem to be drawn to the scruffy looking guys and the LEOs just hate it and make snotty comments.
Not very professional even in the jucuzzi.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Suspension without pay.

That's like.. what.. the first time in history a cop hasn't been given a paid vacation?

I recognize the crap that cops have to put up with, but man.. just get a grip people, there is no excuse for this behavior, ever. It's about time they get suspended without pay, that is seriously rare.

Your assuming again..lol. There are MANY times cops are suspended without pay. Simply google "cop suspended without pay" and you'll see its NOT rare.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Sure, but it doesn't happen enough in my opinion. I was mostly being a smartass.

However, it's all too often that you'll see an incident of someone getting gunned down, and they'll suspend them with pay for the duration of the investigation. Or when a cop drinks and drives, etc.

I see it enough to the point that it boils my blood.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
They probably gave him a cover charge of 'resisting arrest' (ie. not crying while they beat him).

Charge someone with resisting arrest and then kicks their guts in and you'll more than likely get away with it. SOP

People will defend your actions - especially now that they know 'the perp' was 'resisting'.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I got punched in the head one time.

I was not handcuffed but the puch in the head pretty much did the job any handcuff could do. I couldn't raise my arms to fight back, I couldn't tell where the punch had come from and I think I pissed my pants.

So handcuffed or not the punch to my head did the job.

So, after reading the title, I wonder would people feel better if the cops punched this guy in the head if he WASNT cuffed even though a good slap up side the mellon can render ones facilities unavailable for quite some time?

Or.....maybe they shouldn't have punched him at all? OK - I get it now - NEVERMIND (wink wink)

Dorian Soran

The Good Doctor

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
All I can say to this...

Getting punched in the Head when your high really has to suck.

As if getting busted wasn't enough of a buzz kill

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorian Soran

You know... a lot of guys piss their pants when they get arrested...

Not poking fun or anything, but I have to wonder why that reaction happens in some and not in others... long time back an undercover van full of cops stopped me and my friend for er.... being bad, (and it was no big deal) just a 2 hr run down to the station...

And the guy I was with, not a weak fellow or anything... but right on the spot he let loose... right on the cops hand while he was frisking him too (very surprised he didn't get a punch in the head actually)

But I have to wonder what that reaction evolved for? What purpose it could have possibly served in nature in a fight or flight scenario...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

And the guy I was with, not a weak fellow or anything... but right on the spot he let loose... right on the cops hand while he was frisking him too (very surprised he didn't get a punch in the head actually)

I take it this occurred in the continental United States?

Edit: Your friend is lucky he didn't get beaten or killed if it did. Did he receive a cover charge anyways?

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

LOL only in New York yeah...

Minor possession lol, a ticket... Judge threw it out, as always in NYC

But I know friends who are cops they tell me this happens all the time...

And I am seriously wondering Why? I mean I just can't see what purpose that reaction would serve in nature... pissing yourself? Would that stop a carnivore from eating you maybe?

Seems to me it can only make maters worse...

no idea...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

And I am seriously wondering Why? I mean I just can't see what purpose that reaction would serve in nature... pissing yourself? Would that stop a carnivore from eating you maybe?

Read some nature books.

There are plenty of ways that animals make themselves less enticing to predators.

Most officers are predators (we pay them to be). They go around preying on the weak and the forgetful, handing out legalized robbery slips, beating people, electrotorturing them, raping them with objects in some cases (google that).

Yeah, your friend had every right to to believe that he was being confronted by a predator. Only an idiot (or a cop) would think he wasn't.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Exuberant1]

new topics

top topics

join