It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Ok im going to start this thread off with a pretty simple question…

Who has gotten sleep paralysis??

It’s something that I used to get almost every day at one point (but this was a few years ago) and it really freaked me out when I first started getting it because I had no idea why or what it was or what was happening to me it was just a very bizarre experience to have.

It happened to me for the first time years ago and personally I thought it was some sort of demon attack or something of that nature (silly I know) just because of the way it happened, Firstly I heard a sort of ringing noise in my ear and it started to intensify, then as it intensified very quickly I started to lose all power or everything and I felt trapped unable and unable to move at all.

So for everyone that has ever had sleep paralysis you would know that being unable to move like that is a pretty frightening experience but after a while though it started to go away and I started to get it less and less.

But recently im starting to get it again but it’s when im in a dead sleep it seems, last night (which is why im making this thread in the first place) I got it right in the middle of being in a dead sleep and I woke up suddenly and I can’t remember much about it at all for sadly for some reason but it was an extremely strange feeling.

It sounds silly but it was a slight feeling of being floating and it almost felt like I could see people walking around oddly enough but like I said my memory is pretty blank on it and it was pretty dark so who knows maybe just my imagination from being in sleep paralysis but it was just completely bizarre especially since the memory I have is short but I feel like I can remember a lot still if that makes sense.

So I thought I would share my experience and if anyone has got some information on sleep paralysis and why it happens that would be appreciated. Im just Very curious as to why it’s happening.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Hi there.... i've already posted my story around 7 months ago and i'm pretty sure most others have too but here it is again:

Since 2000 i have had experiences with the "Paranormal" shall we say.... and i'll start by telling you about the first one which occured in an apartment i used to live in not far from here... first of all it started with the banging of the bedroom door as if while asleep something had been in the room but as i woke up it left the room at that precise moment and shut the door and then over the course of a couple of years this thing would attack me in my sleep by sitting on me, holding my arms so i couldn't move but also hit me in my abdomen area, i also couldn't shout out as there was some strange force stopping me from doing so.... now i know people will say that this is "sleep paralysis" and i have read about it but i honestly believe it was something else... either a demon, a ghost or Succubus (which i've read about too). I no longer have this thing after me whatever it was which i'm glad about as it was some pretty scary stuff!

My second experience with strange phenomena has happened over the last few years too.... again while asleep but this is a nice feeling totally oposite to what i just told you about.... i have had a feeling of being lifted out of bed and about to be taken someplace only for me to wake up suddenly and be back in my bed (sort of like an outter body experience i suppose) but i believe i was going to be taken someplace but was/have been too scared so i've woken up.... this happened quite a lot.... also a white light has appeared above my head a couple of times when there was no light on or cars driving by to project light into the room... this time i think it was either Aliens wanting to take me some place or maybe it was just my time to go to another World... either way i didn't get to find out.

Here is the link to my thread which recieved some response:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 23-1-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I experienced it once before when I was in my teens. I woke up in the very wee hours of the morning, and had to use the bathroom like nobodies business but I couldn't move. Scared the daylights out of me. I have since read that it is common and happens when certain parts of your brain wake up before others. The consciousness part of your brain is awake while the motor skills part is still sleeping. Mind you there could be any number of other reasons that this could happen. Hope this helps. I would seek medical attention if it persists.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Interesting. I posted a decent reply on this thread. It's logged in 'My ATS' and yet the reply has vanished. That's never happened before!

To cut 4 paragraphs down to a few lines (I'm not writing all that again!), it went like this.

SP is an outcome of lack of quality REM sleep. When the lack of REM is sustained, SP occurs. We have a movement 'kill switch' that engages during REM. It's an evolutionary throwback to our ancestors sleeping in trees or nests. Stopped us falling out. In SP, our body can't move, but our minds are partially awake in a limbo. This is when the accounts of demons, hags and incubi get started.

I had it on and off for years...still do sometimes. To much drink, drugs, stress, late nights and partying can cause regular SP. It's a vicious circle once it starts off. It can be ended by regular sleep patterns. When people insist it's paranormal...I laugh to myself. What kind of demon, evil or alien can be held at bay by a good night's sleep?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I support investigating sleep paralysis. I have posted an article in the past that may help you consider some other possibilities. Rather than re-post my original post I am providing a link so you can read my original post regarding sleep paralysis.

Hope this helps. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Interesting. I posted a decent reply on this thread. It's logged in 'My ATS' and yet the reply has vanished. That's never happened before!

To cut 4 paragraphs down to a few lines (I'm not writing all that again!), it went like this.

SP is an outcome of lack of quality REM sleep. When the lack of REM is sustained, SP occurs. We have a movement 'kill switch' that engages during REM. It's an evolutionary throwback to our ancestors sleeping in trees or nests. Stopped us falling out. In SP, our body can't move, but our minds are partially awake in a limbo. This is when the accounts of demons, hags and incubi get started.

I had it on and off for years...still do sometimes. To much drink, drugs, stress, late nights and partying can cause regular SP. It's a vicious circle once it starts off. It can be ended by regular sleep patterns. When people insist it's paranormal...I laugh to myself. What kind of demon, evil or alien can be held at bay by a good night's sleep?

I agree with you but laughing at people's opinion's is pretty ignorant. I have it more a less every night probably from my screwed up sleep pattern, nothing paranormal about it in my opinion. Just either try to wake yourself up or sleep on, ignore all the hallucinations, sounds which come with this

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Try this out William Buhlman on sleep and preOBEs.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I have sleep paralysis. I once feared it, now I see it for its true potential and welcome it. Id love for it to happen more often in order for me to learn how to stay in this alternative energy double state longer.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by toshly

I agree with you but laughing at people's opinion's is pretty ignorant.

Well, I'm getting a few swipes at my direction today

I'm not 'ignorant,' or 'pretty' for that matter. My point was that logic shows why SP isn't caused by demons, aliens or succubi. If people want to insist that SP is paranormal, that's their right. If people find that funny...that's their right too. I spent my teenage years thinking it was paranormal....used to terrify my ass! If I choose to laugh at others that do, I won't apologise for it. I'm laughing at me at the same time and that's never ignorant.

Take it easy Toshly...enjoy ATS

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I would just relax and be patient with it, eventually sleep paralysis can become a very good experience. A good feeling, hugely relaxing at least. If not leading to astral projection sort of experiences and wake-induced dreams.

But it works best when I feel totally secure in my room. If I want to be serious about activities dealing with dreams and sleep paralysis then I always put something at the door that will make it fall over making a noise loud enough to wake my whole body up. That way I don't have to sit there worrying if someone is in the room or I just imagined it. It already seems a silly thing to do... better to just rule out the variable, cause there is no way to find out unless you wake up/lose the SP.

I have physically felt an entity grap hold of my arm, even wrestle with me in the bed, even imagined my cat was laying on me when she was in the other room with the door shut. It all feels very real but it can't hurt you. It's probably nothing, there is no meaning in something random grabbing hold of your arm for instance. Nothing can hurt your soul unless you let it, and if it could then it wouldn't matter if you were asleep or awake.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I am trying to get my SP to last for 24 hours that would be the ultimate.

It's a blast it's a party, I have total control in this state, there is nothing I can't do or goto. The entire universe and all realities are my play ground.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

This is exactly what I was taught re: SP in psych classes in college, almost verbatim! I, too experienced SP more often after significant illicit substance benders - and it is some scary #e, especially when you are conscious, trying to scream or wake the wife right next to you and can't...it comes and goes, sometimes for months/ years at a time and then can happed 2-3 times a week rapidly. Haven't had SP in a long while, but having kids and responsibilities really cuts down on party time!! I'm convinced that SP is a major component in REM re-bound/ prolonged sleep deprivation.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
www.youtube.com...

Try this out William Buhlman on sleep and preOBEs.

Thanks for this link, its very good and clearly shows why SP should be moved from the para normal into the normal. 50 million people have reported SP and OBEs showing quite clearly that we live in a multi dimensional reality.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I've had sp before. I was excited and scared at the same time. I just layed there hoping I wouldn't hallucinate something scary.

Only once though.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by libertine23

Yes it can be quite frightening and I’ve never hallucinate before unless what you call what I had from the opening post a small hallucination.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Only yesterday my son was telling me how he sometimes wakes up
And he can't move, he said he once woke up face down head in the pillow and he couldn't move and began to panic, he eventually rocked himself over. I told him it's probably sleep paralysis, i explained as best you can to an 8 year old that the body and mind sleep and sometimes don't wake up together.

Satellite1

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I had this experience from the age of 13. It stopped somewhere around my 22nd age I guess. It all started with the feeling of a presence in my room. Then I heard the so called Tao's hum and after that my leg would start to vibrate. This vibrations would then cover my whole body and Bam I couldn't move anymore.. Just my eye balls.

At first the experience itself freaked me out but I got used to it. Over the years I heard many explanations, but none of them seem to be accurate. Some say it's demons, some it's aliens about to abduct you. I even heard that it is the actual moment of the abduction and "they" paralyze you so you wont hurt them or yourself.

The weird thing to me is, that after all that stopped I could go to sleep like nothing happened. Which is odd because I should be freaked out, especially as a young kid.

I do believe though that it is something paranormal, simply because of the fact of feeling this presence in the room, the shadows some tend to see, the lights etc..

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I too have experienced sleep paralysis. The first time I got it, I was quite alarmed. It all started around 2002 I believe with funky auditory hallucinations then full paralysis within months, and then the paralysis episodes ended slowly after 2005 along with the hallucinations. Back then I used to stay up quite late, sometimes as late as 6 AM in the morning and slept very little! I was hooked on the internet staying up and studying unexplained phenomena. It was primarily ball lightning and Nicola Tesla - related web rings. I would sleep deprive myself studying. I would do it over and over and over.

I notice that the paralysis episodes can be brought on not only by not getting enough sleep but, if I get jarred from a bad dream. I get bad dreams many times when I am laying on my back as I should note. Few bad dreams now lead to paralysis though. In any case now, when sleep paralysis occurs I usually let it ride out if I am brave but I can wake out of it by jerking or making a snort.

On detail of what I went through, I sometimes I would have paralysis episodes before I go to sleep or when I wake up. When the paralysis episodes started I had no idea what was going on until it happened more and more. When it started, most of the time my body had this light buzzing feeling to it and my eyes where closed. When this happens I sometimes start to notice the oddest things. Occasionally I would see weird objects. Sometimes the objects scared me! Then out of nowhere I begin to hear music and chattering sounds in my room. Some where quite pleasant sounds. Some sounds were like a beautiful string orchestra concert. On the other hand some sounds where quite scary! The auditory hallucinations would sometimes be confusing, distressing, and demonic! Sends the chills down my spine! Not all episodes had weird hallucinations though, but where just me laying there. Sometimes they had this Out Of Body Experience feel to them. It would feel like a dream that I was walking and or floating around my bedroom! Later on It was then accompanied by a terrible buzzing feeling and when I could open my eyes and not move, this is when the distress occurred. I had no idea I was "awake" at all in the first place!

This creep factor then lead me to research this. I did find out in 2004 what sleep paralysis was and lucid dreaming witch would sometimes lead to my sleep paralysis as well. Now these days I don't get sleep paralysis that much thank goodness! I used to be afraid to go to sleep haha! I sleep allot more now offsetting the amount I do have them. Once every so many months if any!

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Post continued:

Some notable incidents of my Hypnopompic and Hypnogogic sleep Paralysis episodes:

Many times the paralysis was always accompanied by forms of hallucinations. I recalled around this period I would have lucid dreams that would get a "stuck frame" effect. This would appear as a "paused" image of the vivid / lucid dream I was having. The images would stay stuck for about a guessed 10 seconds then the image would fade if it does, and then my body starts buzzing and I would get a TERRIBLE feeling of dread and anxiety and jolt myself awake.

Many times the episodes would have a feeling of a horrible presence in my room. One, I was in a regular dream where I was with other people in a poorly lit stair well. I must have woke out of that part and got a glimpse of my night light across my room and had a hypnogodgic hallucination. It resembled an blurry alien from Aliens vs.. Predator, and it was close to my face. (man this gives me the creeps) I think I saw this thing twice within a few years.

One evening I was laying across my bed (short ways) napping. I had a odd dream where I was walking along a road to a house. The dream seemed gloomy. I went over to the house and went into the basement. There I woke up. I woke up normally. Now then, I "fall" back asleep. My body begins to buzz. I hear thumping noises outside. I just lay there in my bed rather than get up. I know what I am experiencing now; A auditory hallucination. It gets weirder. The bumps / banging gets louder. I hear a menacing loud child's voice in my ear say "You know Bill, I have been inside your head for a long long time..." Sound of laughter, then I hear a bang and sound of someone going up stairs "thump thump thump thump" cascading away. Then I wake myself up. This experience was CREEPY!

A Sunday afternoon I got drowsy and I hopped back into my bed and threw over the comforter. I started to get paralysis. Then I started to hear news telecasters and overlapping news reports they were giving. It could almost feel like you could control every next word.

I also had musical based hallucinations with paralysis many like I could conduct the music! What a cool feeling these have! Many times I got inspirational music to make on my computer. I could actually remember the melodies.

There was one powerful "religious" experience dream of heaven on earth that gave me the weirdest feeling I ever felt in a dream in 2003. That may have caused sleep paralysis but I don't remember. It is a dream worth mentioning at some point though
There is many more episodes I know, but I don't need to rectify.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I started experiencing sleep paralysis back in college. It happened a couple of times a week and I was quite terrified since it involved seeing what I thought were spirits (the images were vivid) in my room, standing by my door. For the next 3-4 years it only happened I would say a few times a year. Two weeks ago though, it started happening everyday again and it makes me so terrified of going to sleep. On all occasions, my stomach feels like it's dropping and my abdomen is in extreme pain as if someone is twisting it. I couldn't breathe and am totally in a state of panic of not being able to wake up. I try to scream and move my limbs but only my eyes are able to move (rapidly). On some occasions, I have hallucinations of someone else being in the room watching me. I hear someone taking a shower when I'm the only person home. Sometimes I also sort of have an out-of-body experience that deceives me into thinking that I'm finally awake, only to feel myself limp on the bed once again moments later. The only thing that I think could have caused this to start happening again 2 weeks ago was a sudden drastic change to my sleep pattern, which is one of the common causes listed on most articles about it. I really don't know what to do about this. Changing my sleep pattern isn't really an option due to certain circumstances, unfortunately. I just wish I could go to sleep whenever I wish to without having to worry about the horrific feeling of not being able to breathe and wake up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join