It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Running Speeds of 35 to 40 Mph is Possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Visitng my usual site for new science news, i came across an article what even my dumb friend was interested in. He said it was impossible however i couldn't disagree as i can't find anywhere in the article where humans can pratically manage to acheive these speeds. Please correct me if am wrong.

They used a high-speed treadmill capable of attaining speeds greater than 40 miles per hour and of acquiring precise measurements of the forces applied to the surface with each footfall.

The unconventional tests were strategically selected to test the prevailing beliefs about mechanical factors that limit human running speeds -- specifically, the idea that the speed limit is imposed by how forcefully a runner's limbs can strike the ground.

"Our simple projections indicate that muscle contractile speeds that would allow for maximal or near-maximal forces would permit running speeds of 35 to 40 miles per hour and conceivably faster," Bundle said.

Science Daily

[edit on 23-1-2010 by jonnyc55]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnyc55

Do you recall the Aboriginal hunter footprints they found . From the stride length etc they calculated this hunter was running as fast as an Olympic sprinter .

Webb's own track analysis has yielded some intriguing conclusions, particularly for the prints left by a group he calls the Five Hunters.

The archaeologist used data from 17,000-year-old human remains excavated nearby and details from the tracks themselves, such as foot size and stride length. The bones suggest the people were tall, in good health, and very athletic.

What's more, Webb calculates that one hunter was running at 23 miles (37 kilometers) an hour, or as fast as an Olympic sprinter. "If you weren't fit in those days, you didn't survive," Webb said.

link

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I remember seeing a discovery report on how Anthropologists have proved that the human capacity for distance and speed is greater than that of horses. Apparently it has to do with our ability to cool our bodies core temperature without overheating and needing to stop and rest.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Your article says Usain Bolt's world record 100m speed was 28mph. That is pretty fast, how quickly do you think we could finish a 100m race running at 40mph?

Bolt's record is 9.58

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
hahaha I wish I could run like that.

I have heard of people riding adrenaline surges up to 30mph (not sure how true it is though)

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I saw that article as well. Being a jogger I found it interesting.

However, if Usain can't do it, no way anybody else could.

Evolution will have to help us on that one.

It's like looking at the volume of our brain and declaring stuff like portrayed in the movie Scanners possible....

new topics

top topics

join