It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British Bottom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown and his country are winning a race they would rather lose: to the bottom.

Global investors are more pessimistic about the U.K. than any other major economy and Brown gets overwhelmingly negative reviews, according to a global quarterly poll of investors and analysts who are Bloomberg subscribers.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The sun will indeed set again on the British Isles. As I've said before in another thread, how can a country that makes nothing and does nothing recover?

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Living in Scotland I have seen first hand the destruction of industry first in Scotland when the shipyards where shut down, then the steel industry, car maufactors.

These where at first moved to England then out to other countries. I can't see any way for the UK to recover until we have the ability to get back to being a manufatoring nation and a change in goverment. Maggie thatcher started it Tony Bliar finished both supposedly on oppiste sides but acting very much alikey its not possible to see a diiference.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
We can all agree that we have a false economy overburden by a financial services sector created by Margaret Thatcher or should I say her then controllers the Rothchilds and Goldsmiths. The privatisation of our primary industries was tantamount to asset stripping, British Airways, British Telecom, British Gas, National Grid, BNFL, North Sea Oil, British Rail...... all were sold to these parasitic scum for a song.

The protectionism that France still uses and is much deplored by our leaders, gives France one of the stronger economies in Europe. In truth this country was financially raped.

Kraft is at the moment buying Cadbury at the cost of over 10,000 jobs these jobs will soon be moved to Eastern Europe, they will never return.

And we still think that the politicians work for us, well they dont, the only thing that does work in the UK is the military.

I only voted once in my life and until we can get our country back I'll never vote again.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Dammit! I was expecting something completely different! Guess I'll go and check out the 'Anyone feeling different vibrations' thread. Sounds kinda dirty

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
It costs money to build a ship or produce a ton of coal or create a box of chocolates.

If it is cheaper to get somebody else to do it then thats what will happen.

We either have to reduce our labour costs or remove benifits to people who do nothing forcing them to take low paid jobs.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I agree that would be an excellent start, I am sick to death of working my butt off while some low life never even tries to get a job. And we pay for it then he leads a girl astray to get her preggers so they can get a house, not to forget they then have 4 more kids that we pay for. Then when those kids hit 16 they start the process all over again, meanwhile these people never take a job and instead stick to hand outs from the tax payer.

I think we should strip away there benefits if they refuse to work and at the very least make them do 40 hours community service if they arent working. I also think they should stop giving these people house and give it to people that deserve it which would in turn make these areas a nicer place.

Rant over

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
We got rich making things, we started the ball rolling with the Industrial Revolution. We shipped stuff from all over the world and made things that other people wanted to buy from us, for example cotton. We added value to raw material. That is how we got rich in the first place.

We once had an aerospace industry among the best in the world. We stopped building planes and all those Aerospace Engineers left to either the US or Europe to continue their careers; they had no choice. These skills are now lost. Same with shipbuilding and many other industries. We have lost the skills to make stuff.

Some silly percentage of our population are too lazy to work and go on the dole. Also, an obscene number of people work for the government which means that we pay their wages through taxes that we earn. Then there are the banks who gamble our money, enough said about them.

Personally, I went into Engineering because I wanted to build and improve things. I am now realising that I picked the wrong profession for the opportunities that are available in this country. That is why I have decided to follow all the other British Engineers and go to Oz.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Don't even get me started. What we need is an immigrant system similar to Australias where if you are not qualified to do a skilled trade then get out. Lets face it, immigrants are a major source of the problem in the UK. How many millions are spent every year housing and providing handouts for them? Then they have the cheek to brand our soldiers as baby killers!!

I also agree with what tempest has said, why should I work my backside off just to see my tax money wasted on immigrants and underage slags? I can't name one thing decent my tax money has done for me. The roads are full of pot holes, the estate where I live is a hell hole and the hospitals and NHS is a shambles. And as for that one eyed prat, who even voted him in?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Just my luck that I graduated university last summer with a 2:1 degree in computer games design so I am desparately trying to get a job right in the middle of this mess but no one will employ me. Rule ****ing Britannia.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
You cannot pay someone to produce your wealth.. you cannot sell to your self either (which is especially America's problem) ... Britain has always been among the wealthiest kingdoms/empires in the World.. Why? So many mentioned it: Ships. Britain has been building some of the Worlds best ships for centuries.. and it wasn't just ships, it became weaponry, it became machinery, textiles and then cars and air planes...

What does Britain produce now? If I were to ask a random person, what does Britain produce.. something they are famous for.. BAE? .. You guys make war? Airbus? You make one brand of airplane. not much.. and almost nothing an average person could identify..

Fast food restaurants. Walmart type stores.. supermarkets, movie theaters (you sure as hell don't make the movies).. Service = 75% of your GDP. That's not wealth.

Banks. London is the Worlds third largest financial center.. a powerhouse of financial lubrication. From all the money made producing, a tiny portion of the British population controls it, and gambles with it.. increasingly, this financial power is being sucked away by countries that....... produce.

When you loose your balance, and your legs come out from under you ... there's no stopping it: You're going to come crashing down.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yes I read about all the dairy farmers going out of business.

That is sad when you import something as simple as milk.

It is even hitting us here in the states.

Some guy killed all his cows then blew his brains out just a few days ago.

I know it must be hard on you Brits too.

Taking your country away for the almighty Pound.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Its only going to get worse too. I mean when they sat down and decided what to do this happened:

" I've GOT IT, well print money and bring down intrest rates. No one has done that before right?"

If the silly little men in government had bothered to check some world history they would see how that ends lol.

Basically we have low lifes getting a free lunch from us tax payers and now the bankers are too.

If people still thing the political parties have any power they are surely mistaken. This world is having change forced upon it by means of fire and if they get there way a New World Government will rise from its ashes.

We the people have to wake up. We can start by signing the petition to show the Icelandic people they have our support and just maybe it will be infectious.

Google save the people of Iceland

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
It costs money to build a ship or produce a ton of coal or create a box of chocolates.

If it is cheaper to get somebody else to do it then thats what will happen.

We either have to reduce our labour costs or remove benifits to people who do nothing forcing them to take low paid jobs.

THIS WILL NOT WORK.

Traditionally, the West has competed with sweat shops in the East where workers are paid peanuts. BUT even where workers are paid peanuts, some cash does trickle into their under-developper economy which will in time build itself up to generate demand for British goods.

THIS IS NO LONGER THE CASE.

Even sweatshops countries like Bangladesh are seeing their factories close as they cannot compete. Why? Because of China.

What is so different about China? It uses SLAVE LABOUR - dissidents forced to work for NO MONEY AT ALL in hard labour camps, fed on a chunk of moldy bread once a day until they die of exhaustion after a few days assembling Hornby Model Railways, Christmas Decorations and Bacon Slicers for the West. When a country allows slave labour, no amount of lowering of wages will allow you to compete as they obtain their labour ENTIRELY FOR FREE..

As a result, there are only three ways to compete with China...

OPTION ONE - Huge tariffs or trade blockade of China
OPTION TWO - Direct repeal of the Emancipation Proclamation and reintroduce SLAVERY worldwide, complete with masters roaming around plantations with bullwhips.
OPTION THREE - There is no option three.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown and his country are winning a race they would rather lose: to the bottom.

Global investors are more pessimistic about the U.K. than any other major economy and Brown gets overwhelmingly negative reviews, according to a global quarterly poll of investors and analysts who are Bloomberg subscribers.

www.bloomberg.com...

As there is due to be an election on or before 3rd June 2010, Gordy willl try every trick to be re-elected.

He will probably go for a spend, spend, spend Budget speech in March. Having already doubled the national debt in the last 15 months and chided the opposition Tories for calling for spending cuts, this new budget could cause a Bond re-evaluation from AAA to AA. If this occurs, the Bond market wil collapse along with Sterling. Banks will then fold and Gordy will step in to take over what ever he does not already own on the "Monopoly board", costing a further fotune that cannot be refinanced. All this will send equities crashing worldwide.

My guess is that Gordy is likely to take the Dow Jones down to about 4,500 by May single handedly.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
You know what well be hearing how crime and unemployment has gone down soon since there will be an election in the near future.

Oh wait they allready shipped those cooked figures throught the news.......

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
London is the Worlds third largest financial center..

London is the financial capital of the world.

The United Kingdom has overtaken the United States to take the top spot in a ranking of the world’s leading financial centres.

The ranking, compiled by the World Economic Forum (WEF), places the UK at the top of a leader board of 55 of the world’s largest financially-focussed countries. The US, which had previously held the top spot, slipped to third, behind second-placed Australia.

The US is third - not the United Kingdom.

Telegraph

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The Labor government is doing some useful work when it comes to reducing social security dependency. No longer will single parents be able to languish on benefits until their youngest turns 16 y/o ... soon that age will be down to 2 years (with the possibility of down to only a few months when Income Support benefit is abolished).

Similarly, benefit related forums are ablaze with disgruntled Incapacity Benefit claimants being thrown off the books and being made to sign on for Jobseeker's Allowance. That trend will continue as the more aggressive regime of ESA takes over.

Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance look like they're to be phased out too, with the money being transferred to local councils in order to provide real help for real disabled people, instead of just assuming that throwing money at the problem will make it go away.

But these measures need to be slipped in quietly and phased over a few years otherwise public hostility will be such that they'll have to be abandoned. Softly softly catchy monkey etc. Perhaps the incoming Conservative government won't take such a pragmatic approach ?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
One thing that would benefit Britain is bringing back national service.
Every 16 year old that is not going on to further education should be made to join either the Army, Navy or RAF. This is turn would reduce crime on the streets and make better people out of the youth of today.

The funding would come from not having to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on teenagers' benefits, and from the reduced amount of cime that national service would bring.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
A sad time for England, just as equally sad for the rest of the world masses.

PROTECTIONISM is the only way out now. UK is not a land without resources, but privatisation had paved the way for international globalists to pocket the wealth of nations for themselves and not the masses.

Take the Cadbury fiasco. No doubt in economics that it is true if someone else can make that product cheaper, it would make sense to sell it to them rather than to compete fruitlessly.

Unfortunately, one must realize why the competitor can make the product cheaper.

1.Labour cost can be cheap in China, but at what price to humanity? Had it benefitted the slave workers there? None at all. The masses are still kept in poverty and mental chains to a dictatorial regime the immoral globalists are lapping up to. When one buys a Cad choc, one is supporting the enslavement of the China masses and the local $1/hr minimum wage foriegn worker.

2. Cadbury is a branded quality product. It did not acheive its branding overnight but through the hardwork and QC of brit workers. When this product is bought over and manufactured in China, its quality will NEVER be the same, for slaves and profit driven masters will cut corners or use substitutes, as it had done before. And yet the price to the consumer remains the same!

Who benefits? Certainly not the China masses and the great Brits who made it, but into the pockets of the greedy globalist hoards and wallets.

And how many more loyal Cad consumers will be taken for that ride, and even possibly made ill by derivatives and substitutes?

WE, THE CONSUMERS, DO OURSELVES IN when we seek for dishonest bargins, expense at the livelihoods of our fellow workers. There is enough money and resources in the world to go round, but unfortunately, political will lost its way while in the service of their puppet masters - the profit driven globalist.

May the brits wake up soon to stop the pillage of their resources and human capital.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

<<   2 >>

join