It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploration of why the bible forbids meditation.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The X

Go find someone else to rant at, i make not one false claim in anything i have written and yes there are differences in the types of meditation we are discussing.

God desires us to, "meditate" only on the things that follow His way rather than those who seek, "familiar spirits/demons". In a biblical context, one is Satanic worship, while the other is Godly worship.

Obviously there has been enough evidence presented demonstrating God wants us to meditate..

I have allways meditated and was in His living spirit while doing it. Even in OBEs.

What is Kundalini?

Kundalini is the formative, biological Life Force energy dormant in our bodies. Formative in the sense that it creates our very shape and substance in the womb, dormant because it becomes inactive at the moment of birth. Because most people don’t realize that the Kundalini~Life Force resides within them, most people will never reactivate it.

That doesn't sound like a practice that God would be offended by. I believe with a just God, the answer is, you're going to in the end, where you came from in your heart, while here on Earth.

I know too; than a legend died to save me about 2000 years ago..

Tell me how that relates to the christian practice of meditating on a verse? or gods law?.
you see different.

Like when Jesus brought a change/fulfillment from the lesser law to where we now worship Him in spirit and in truth, we have been given more responsibility that frees us into more spiritual activities of as many profitable types of spiritual activity as can be found.

However, in the end, we will all know, "one" truth.

No consequencE..

Thank you.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by noconsequence]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Okay, but seriously WHAT doesn't the bible forbid??? It forbids everything from astrology to tatooing even peircings and on and on and on. I am sure it forbids everything that's fun, too.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

It does not say you can not meditate, but you are not supposed to use mantras and such to put yourself into trancelike state, mainly for the purpose of communicating with the dead or spirit world:

This is what you are doing through meditation.... Just yesterday, I spoke to a woman who has been able to master meditation (I'm not sure what type)....She is only for the light and focuses only on that, yet, she encountered a being with a name Something similar to Valetta/ Valetoia (I forget the name), but it starts with a V, this is a bad spirit... You do communicate with the spirit world, as you yourself are a spirit / light being when meditating. So, taking that into consideration, the bible is against it.

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by noconsequence

In a biblical context, one is Satanic worship, while the other is Godly worship.

Any kind of worship, whether Buddhism, Native American Chanting or anything else other than God is not acceptable. These are the most peaceful benevolent 'religions' /belief systems on the planet...WHY is the bible against it. It teaches that they are worshiping false idols...but when people worship a statue of Jesus or Mary (even worse as she is Not God ) then it's acceptable?

The point is, the bible is against anything that makes you realize you are one with everything and the world, it asks you to deny the spiritual self which is within you.
To me, what is asked of you in the Bible, is most like occult worship designed/manipulated by those still in power today...to keep you just the way you are.
I feel sorry for people who never come to the realization, that they are so set in their ways because society tells them that is the way it should be, because if you don't, you go to hell. They are all in fear, and this fear is put there by the churches.... You forget, when you are in fear, you cannot grow.
So, I'm not surprised these people have a sort f tunnel vision, when it comes to their religion.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Okay, but seriously WHAT doesn't the bible forbid??? It forbids everything from astrology to tatooing even peircings and on and on and on. I am sure it forbids everything that's fun, too.

Well, actually there had been a debate about astrology from nearly the beginning of Christianity until modern times. This is actually a very complex subject regarding Platonism, Aristotelianism, and a large number of highly ambiguous biblical verses that can be construed as being variously pro- and anti- for several different forms of astrology.

Thomas Aquinas (one of the most important people in the history of Christianity) held that the planets could have effects on the physical world but not the soul or free will.

Thus, the use of birth charts to understand the personality and temperament of people was a widespread practice from his death in the 1200's until the late 1500's when the there was a huge upheaval in both religious (protestant reformation Balknanized Christianity and thus was allowed religion outside the context of the catholic church) and scientific (Copernicus).

Edit: This question is addressed in considerable length and detail in Aquinas's Magnum Opus, "Summa Theologica". I was going to quote the salient points, but it would take too long and instead refer you to www.northforest.org... which at the bottom of the page has 7 quite large sections quoted from his book.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by CognitiveInfiltrator]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
the bible does not forbid meditating, you just have to distinguish the difference between meditation and witchcraft.

the difference is this,

true meditation is when you meditate on the word of God
witchcraft is when you meditate on an image/artwork/craft,

i am aware of the hypocracy of certain christian churches, i think everone is. it's all part of the conspiracy and prophecy.

the bible has esoteric teachings they are called parables

to a christian, that heightened sense of awareness, higher consciousness and enlightenment is experienced when the truth of a parable is revealed or prophecy unravels, visions are unsealed and trials and tribulations are overcome.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I have been practicing meditation for a long time (started around 16 I think?) and I am/was a Christian. I actually started to practice it along with my friends when we were into "heavy" acid use. And imo certain types of meditation can be very dangerous.

My personal experiences,

We accidently brought demons into our presence on two occasions, while trying to see the other side (so to speak).

Both of these occasions were during acid use, which by the way will open your mind much more than you can do on your own, not that I’m advocating drug use. Acid can be very dangerous for weak minded individuals, and people who are not mentally prepared for the effects.

1st time, me and a friend (not a Christian) were sitting across from each other on the floor. With a candle in the center and the radio on, also had a few lights on. After about an hour we were into a deep meditative state. Basically, I guess we were trying to tune into the higher realm and see what happened (hard to explain) but we were testing the limits. In an instant the lights dimmed to almost off and it got ice cold in the room (summertime).

We both opened our eyes and looked at each other like "oh sh#t" what did we do. And we could feel the evil presence in the room with us, actually like it was sitting right next to us. And a sense of dread over came both of us, my friend was looking at me like "do something", I thought we were in big trouble, I noticed on the radio stairway to heaven was playing and the power drain had not effected it... very odd. Anyway I said "Jesus" without even thinking about it and poof.... everything back to normal.

2nd time was with four of us during a camping trip, trying to do the same thing again, long story short (this is to long already) we had to leave the site immediately, as we felt our lives were in danger (story isn’t really that exciting anyway).

On those two occasions I felt that we got pretty damn close to seeing things we shouldn’t be seeing. I only found out later that God warns against trying to do that. All this new age stuff about trying to get to another plane of existence etc. is too dangerous to mess with, trust me i know.

Personal meditation for spiritual/personal growth and tuning your mind. Is the only type I would suggest.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
reply to post by noconsequence

In a biblical context, one is Satanic worship, while the other is Godly worship.

Any kind of worship, whether Buddhism, Native American Chanting or anything else other than God is not acceptable. These are the most peaceful benevolent 'religions' /belief systems on the planet...WHY is the bible against it. It teaches that they are worshiping false idols...but when people worship a statue of Jesus or Mary (even worse as she is Not God ) then it's acceptable?

The point is, the bible is against anything that makes you realize you are one with everything and the world, it asks you to deny the spiritual self which is within you.
To me, what is asked of you in the Bible, is most like occult worship designed/manipulated by those still in power today...to keep you just the way you are.
I feel sorry for people who never come to the realization, that they are so set in their ways because society tells them that is the way it should be, because if you don't, you go to hell. They are all in fear, and this fear is put there by the churches.... You forget, when you are in fear, you cannot grow.
So, I'm not surprised these people have a sort f tunnel vision, when it comes to their religion.

The bible teaches that you do have a spirit and that it is not tied to this world and that you should only worship the creator of the universe, not false prophets/saviors. Buddha himself told people that he was not a God and that he should not be worshiped, therefore anyone who worships Buddha is a fool. Now I have Native American blood in me, but that does not mean I do rain dances and worship dirt and rock (the earth).

As far a worshiping statues of Jesus and Mary you are correct, the bible is against that also. This was mainly brought on by the Catholics, who have deviated from the bible and made their own rules for their personal benifit, the pope himself is a false idol. This goes along with many other so called "bible" faring religions.

But that doesn’t mean the source is false....

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
@DarkPassenger

I am curious, do you still practice meditation, if so, what form?

I definitely believe your experience, though. My regarding your experience is that '___' and certain other drugs can create random holes in one's aura, and that negative entities do not respect free will and thus have no qualms exploiting these holes for their own purposes.

It's sad that so often people will do drugs, Ouija board, or go to black masses for a thrill because they do not really believe in spirituality.

As far as saviors go, I find interesting the difference between the synoptic gospels (Mathew, mark, Luke) which were very heavy on details of Jesus's life, his words, helping the poor, and essentially teaching a fairly liberal version of Judaism.

Then there's John, who not only disagrees on many, many details of Jesus's life from the synoptic, (is believe to have been written much later) but also introduces the theology that Jesus is the a savior, rather than the teacher that love for others and god is the greatest commandment.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 24-1-2010 by CognitiveInfiltrator]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I can't talk about tattoos and piercings but i can talk about different religions.These meditations are coming from hinduism and budhism so that's the simple reason why you "can't" practice them.

What can i say though?If you see your religion as a leash then i guess you should live without it.
Offcourse that's my personal opinion,what you're gonna do is completely up to you.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CognitiveInfiltrator

I find you have a negative understanding of using drugs in a spiritual matter. Just dropping acid won't do; in fact, taking any form of drug (more correctly in this context, Entheogen, which means To manifest God from within), in a spiritual context, to gain anything truly fulfilling, requires one to have a heavy discipline, and in fact heavy meditation use as well.

As anyone who practices meditation, you can't just "start" meditating. You need to practice, it's a skill and a discipline, not an idle activity. Entheogens, whether be Psychedelic mushrooms, Ayahuasca, or '___', to gain a truly spiritual experience and lesson from them, requires a similar, if not highly related discipline and understanding as meditation.

Ouija boards are also not totally stupid although again they require a certain understanding and discipline. I've practiced astral projection, meditation, entheogenic use and a few scant rituals and incantations from here to there. Ouija boards first require some sort of spirit to be about. The purpose of an Ouija board, used in the proper state of mind (I usually meditate before hand as well as perform a ritual and incantation) is to have spirits speak through your subconscious. There does exist a multitude of realms, dimensions, astral planes, parallel universes, what ever term you want to use, as well as a wide range of energy spectrum's. And there exist entities, some positive, some negative, that exist just as we do, albeit not hinged by a physical existence. Basically, if you have done things correctly and attracted some entity to your area, which CAN hear you, you can ask this entity to speak to you. They basically guide your, what we call a subconscious, in answering out their replies on the board.

Some entities don't want to talk to you. Some entities are ghosts. Some entities are other energy beings. I've encountered a handful of rather negative entities intent on being nasty, but there are a variety of methods of making them f-ck off. I've spoken to my own spiritual guide as well as a plethora of very positive beings as well.

Don't mistaken anything I do with "Satanism" or something stupid like that; there are fundamental methods in creating spiritual energy and contacting entities. Whether or not you do so for negative reasons, or for positive reasons, is solely up to the individual.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by speaknoevil07
Good post. I totally agree with the love back thing.......how did you learn how to do it ?I find that when people are mean......it is easier to be mean back.....not love back. any suggestions........
speaknoevil07

Hi,
Years ago I found that golden light inside when I was doing a long distance healing on my Aunt. She was allowed to go home the following day so I figured it was some good energy to use.

At the time I was being harrased by one of the cloak and broad-brimmed hat types and even though I felt fear because of its strength I had to find a way to deal with it. So I tried that energy transfer thing once I realised I could love it no matter what it threatened. I scanned it for light and found a small ball of it hidden inside, so I mentioned to the being that I could see the light within it.. which made it angrier, but I knew then it was not totally without light. They are all the same that way, they try to hide what light is within them by choosing darkness.

So, once I could feel the unconditional love for this being, it was easy to pour that energy out of my heart chakra and directly into the being as I held it with my arms around it. It moved away and began to sparkle from the inside, man that looked so cool, then it simply rushed off and wasn't around for 4 years.

When it did return it tried to upset a client I was showing how to reach their higher-self, so I hit it with Love again and it has not returned to me. That must have been 7 or 8 years ago now.

Good luck with it.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by bredd77
It is blasphemous for a catholic to meditate in the contex of your question because it falls under the term as a practice originating from different religions i.e with different Gods... I know as my friend is a strick catholic follower, big no no with her... Pity

He said "BIBLE forbids meditation", not the catholic church. You are confusing 2 things.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by Trueman]

actually your right on the money, the bible in which i saw the passage is a catholic bible, in fact it is a version that was used by my nans priest for many years in the church.
My nan was so devout she used to clean the church for nothing and as a gift the priest gave her the churches bible.
Its a massive tome the first part of which is a large section on canon law.
i should have been more careful when i named the thread, my mistake.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Taysin im glad you engaged in this thread, your input is valuable in many ways.
I didnt go hook line and sinker into sahaja yoga i went to learn the practice and then practiced on my own or with my wife.

your experience of passing on healing energy at distance is something i have done as well with positive results, i went to the site of the original cathedral at old sarum in salisbury and meditated there imagining a arc of blue healing light eminating from me and landing on my grandmother 150miles away in hospital in wales, she had no complications and when i told her i had done this she said to me her doctor had tols her someone was with her.
This made me feel very good.

This is for the attack dogs in the thread.

The versions of the bible available no doubt contain differences in content so for people to say that what i am saying is untrue or ill informed (when i have seen it with my own eyes) is in itself un-neccesary, unless you have the access to every single version ever printed you dont know what is and what isnt in them.

I have already admitted i should have been more careful when naming the thread, nevertheless i stick to my guns and maintain that there are differing types of meditation, and in some versions it is stated as being forbidden.
My question was why would the bible forbid it.
The answer someone gave saying that the bible is a control mechanism to keep you from the truth is an excellent answer.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by The X]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Why do eastern and western philisophies clash you know this is why there is going to be a war on Christianity. Ignorance shall make your soul fall
"Judge not, lest ye be Judged"

[edit on 24-1-2010 by SpiritHipHop]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

Could you make something clear for me?Who are the "attack dogs"?I'm asking because if you're including me too in that description i'd like to know the reason.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
When one looks for "enlightenment within" and has no real relationsip with God, he will find a decieving spirit. Man is a fallen and cursed creature needing redemption. New agers and the like bypass this truth and go right to meditation.

Opening onesself up, through meditation, to allow a decieving spirit to enter is dangerous. This can cause wrong assumptions to be made. Assumptions such as "getting in touch with your higher self" instead of demon possesion, for instance. The unredeamed person has no way of descerning the spirits he entertains. He just goes by his "feelings". The OP doesn't have sufficient decernment IMO to make the leap of faith to declare his "experience" to be of God.

speaking of wrong assumptions.
Actually your very wrong with this assertion that i dont have the discerment to delare that it is of god.
I am of god therefore anything that happens to my spiritual being especially something as profound as feeling a flower open above you that has come from within must be of god he made my metaphysical spiritual essence.
How else would it get there to open?.
The family bible states that meditation is forbidden i asked why, how you go from there to attempt to second guess what my core beliefs are leaves you floundering.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Oceanborn

nope not you...if you read the post im talking to those that assert i am wrong about what i have seen in the version of the bible i have.
i dont have a digital camera but im going to get one and post a photo of the relevant verse tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

I might missed em (or just forgot about em lol).Anyway,thanks for clearing it out!

I'd like to see that picture,thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Technically, prayer is a form of meditation, this has been proven.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join