It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACTA Plan So Secret, Politicians Can't See It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

ACTA Plan So Secret, Politicians Can't See It

www.dslreports.com

We've already discussed at length how a massive new international Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is being crafted in total secrecy, with no input from independent parties or the consumers it will impact. That's particularly troubling for broadband users and ISPs, given leaked information on the plan suggests the agreement may include mandatory three strikes filters for carriers, erode ISP safe harbor protections, and extend many of the more troubling and myopic aspects of US DMCA copyright law internationally.

It's not just consumers, the press and independent analysts who ar
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
So some big wigs are discussing the future of the internet in secret. It's not a real big surprise. It's not a big secret that powerful media wants to shut down all forms of P2P despite the fact P2P often push sales.

It's obvious customers want digital downloads, they have been dragging there feet for years. A smart business is one that can adapt to the times.

My question is why can't public officials examine this agreement? It screams somethings sinister!

There are already plenty of civil remedies that copyright owners can see against those who infringe on their works. Why should taxpayers be expected to foot the bill for enforcing copyrights that are owned by private entities?

www.dslreports.com...

www.dslreports.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-1-2010 by oconnection]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Hmmm doesnt sound to good thats for sure... being a gamer and having to live with things like DRM and other loops as a customer you have to jump through in order to prove your not a thief (can anyone say guilty until proven innocent?), not to mention often they interfere with the running of your PC.

I dont see anything good coming out of this, we never used to have issues with this a decade ago and pirating was just as rampant so why the sudden push by these people now?...

Anything discussed in secret is a bad thing... period. In the realm of music, games and movies... the simplest fix to reduce pirating, is make a quality product. Its all the rubbish that push's a person to pirate since why spend hard earned cash on crap, if I like a product enough, ill buy a legit copy or rent it... if not I wont (by that I mean I wont buy it at all, nor pirate it).

S&F all the same... this doesnt sound good.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I found this site reporting the internet part of the ACTA plan had been leaked... and according to them it's BAD!

Here it is, if you're interested.

boingboing.net...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The laws being created and enforced are scary enough.
My real concern is that some form of new "Carnivore" will be set loose on the internet to do the "sniffing".

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Ive given up on music/games/movies as anything that comes out in this modern day is simply watered down. This will only affect people who are materialistic. I personally think it'll force many to get off their braindead computers and back into reading books again, which surely cant be a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This (ACTA) thing is big . How far will people go to punish the ones that are interested in their product in the first place?

I say do not bite the hand that feeds you.

How far will this go? If I make a youtube video that just happens to have a ford truck driving by will I be cut off of the internet for counterfeit infringement?

I am hoping that this is just scare tactics and they really do know how screwed up it 'could' get.

I have faith that they will not screw themselves over too bad before they figure out they are digging their hole deeper and deeper.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I personally think it'll force many to get off their braindead computers and back into reading books again, which surely cant be a bad thing.

And why this can't be a bad things?
What's the difference between staying at home all the day reading books and doing things( a lot) on the computer?

Internet is the only real freedom we have and that is what they are scared of, our freedom.
I only download what I cannot buy, even if it's a lot of files, I would buy it if I had the money, and the inverse is working too, I've downloaded a lot of files that I would not have bought, I know a lot of people are acting the same, piracy was a problem when only few people had internet and others bought files to these peoples but now it is just capitalists who are crying because they are losing a few of money.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The politicians can't see anything outside of their world view. This whole mess will probably put smiles on their faces. I wonder how many politicians actually believe that the masses have it so well in the world? Heck I mean look at how bad our internet access/speed is in the States. Bad infrastructure followed by bad laws. Yep that is freedom you can believe in.

top topics

join