It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fictional Races or Societies that Lacks Conventional Techs(other than Explosives and UAVs)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Is there's a Fictional Races or societies that their arsenal is Rail Guns, Coil Guns, Gauss Guns, Laser Weapons, Missiles, Bombs, Rockets, Nuclear Weapons, Directed Energy Weapons, Mechs, Unmanned Aerial vehicles, Powered Exoskeletons, Flamethrowers, Hovercars, etc. but their Technology and Weaponry is Clearly Lacks Gas-driven Guns, Any Wheeled Vehicles, and Body armor vest?

[edit on 22-1-2010 by masonicon]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Tau from Warhammer 40,000

WH 40k is a model-based strategy game. The Tau are an alien race that went from caves to hovercraft, railguns, and mechs in a few thousand years. They are an egalitarian in nature, often referring to the 'greater good' as a guide for their lives.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
PICTURES

LINK

LINK

LINKY LINK

LINK

There are extensive resources on the background of the Tau and all of the other races. I do not know what you are looking for exactly, but this seems close.

LINK TO TAU BOOK. If you ignore the rule parts, they have many pictures and background stories.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by DINSTAAR]

[edit on 22-1-2010 by DINSTAAR]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Well, in the Dune novels, there was an almost religious taboo about certain types of technology. For instance, they had no computers, and if memory serves, nuclear technology was also forbidden, yet there were things like spaceships, lasers, and forcefields.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Aha thank you DINSTAAR!! You beat me to it...I play a Tau army in WH40k. Great fun game. But yes, I would say they are a perfect example of what you are looking for. Aside from a few missile weapons, that is. The game is set 40,000 years in the future, and the Tau race is ~6,000 years old in the game, but has some of the most advanced technology.

They are based on a caste system with the elements as their names. Water is the diplomats, Air is pilots and navigators, Fire is warriors, Earth is scholars... etc. They also live by the mantra "For the greater good", basically every Tau individual highest aspiration is to do work for the society as a whole. They are a quite advanced species, much more so than the pathetic humans.

Now that I think about it, that game has some very good social commentary hidden in it. The humans have a science sect know as the Adeptus Mechanicus, the mechanics and engineers, and they don't even understand what they are building, they just follow ancient blueprints and hope for the best haha. They also have these quite fickle "machine spirits" that they capture in the larger machinery, and they have little to no idea how to control them.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
How about The Batman(cartoon that airs from 2004-2008 in Kids' WB Channel)?

[edit on 31-1-2010 by masonicon]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
How about Scrin from Command and Conquer Tiberian series and Empire of the Rising Sun from Command and Conquer Red alert 3?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoEXcUseS
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Aha thank you DINSTAAR!! You beat me to it...I play a Tau army in WH40k. Great fun game. But yes, I would say they are a perfect example of what you are looking for. Aside from a few missile weapons, that is. The game is set 40,000 years in the future, and the Tau race is ~6,000 years old in the game, but has some of the most advanced technology.

They are based on a caste system with the elements as their names. Water is the diplomats, Air is pilots and navigators, Fire is warriors, Earth is scholars... etc. They also live by the mantra "For the greater good", basically every Tau individual highest aspiration is to do work for the society as a whole. They are a quite advanced species, much more so than the pathetic humans.

Now that I think about it, that game has some very good social commentary hidden in it. The humans have a science sect know as the Adeptus Mechanicus, the mechanics and engineers, and they don't even understand what they are building, they just follow ancient blueprints and hope for the best haha. They also have these quite fickle "machine spirits" that they capture in the larger machinery, and they have little to no idea how to control them.

well! despite this, Humans in WH40k are Type 3 Civilization not because of the technology, but because of psychic powers, while Tau, despite they are most technologically advanced races, they are still far from Type 3 because they lack psychic powers needed to performs faster than light space travel

new topics

top topics

join