It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! I'm Stuck In Windows XP Repair & Can't Get Out!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
sorry all just recovering from 2days in bed with a bad cold.. ugh .. update to follow in about 1 hour..

new prod key is a good one..

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
ok .. well.. this is the 2nd reply since the first one never took if it did . then is a double..

been down the last 2 days with a nasty cold.. feeling a bit better today..

the repair is under way since the prod key took..

update after it come up to the desktop .. *x's fingers*

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
step-grandson pull the batteries out of the mouse last night .. while it was at the prod key input screen ..
thus the mouse is now dead..

gotta love it....

it's at the xp slash screen .. and says..."please wait.." with the hour glass ... :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

so now what do i do ??? ?!!!!! how long should i wait ???

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Komodo]

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Komodo]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
ok ..

1). prod key is good now, went downstairs to let it install the repair..

2). went back up after 20 mins and it was hung @ the black screen xp splash screen with the 'please wait...'

3). waited additional 20 mins.. hard booted the system

4). F8 to get to the desktop in safe, got into safe mode ok but, took a min or so...had no mouse what so ever.. found a PS2 mouse, plugged that in.. rebooted..

5) F8 to safe mode again, system came up with still abnormally long time as above, but system detected drivers and installed them and wanting reboot..I selected yes.. to reboot..

6). F8 to safe, with long time to get to desktop, got mouse to work fine.

7). used Auslogics windows Reg defrag to check windows reg, didn't need a defrag, but used Auslogics window reg cleaner and it said the system had 133 errors that needed fixed.. not sure if that was due to the reinstall or not..

8). after running the cleaner, it closed.. odd, becuz it was suppose to leave the window open to let me check which files I wanted to fix..

9). ran the cleaner 2x more and got it to finally come up to the window to fix the errors. which I selected.. next to fix all... warning window came up with something like ..' error was detected and unable to be fix .. do you want to email the developer?" I selected no..

10) I decided to run the disc defrag and ALOT of files were frag'd .. it's still defraging atm..

I'll reboot to safe again, rerun the reg cleaner and defrag see what happens; I'm hoping that the cleaner will run OK and will actually fix the files that need them.. if it doesn't ..

not sure what to do next..but all the original programs, files & icons seem to be there on the disc..

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
i suggest running a scan using malwarebytes anti-malware, just to be safe.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
i suggest running a scan using malwarebytes anti-malware, just to be safe.

thx toreishi. Yea, got that program but didn't think to run it LOL.. go figure..at this point I think I'll just wipe the drive and start fresh..

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Yes, I'm thinking you should just start fresh. Pull anything you can off of it with a Linux Live CD, like someone said already.

Troy

top topics

<< 1   >>

join