It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow Jones Sheds 536 points in 3 days..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
www.google.com...:.DJI&client=news

The DJIA closed today down 216.90 points, and has lost 536 points in 3 days. Obviously from Obama's tough talk about taxing and regulating the banks more. my question is why is this happening? Is obama actually gonna go thru with his proposals and will it ever get thru congress to actually be law. is this stock market terorism by the bankers making the stocks "crash"? Nasdaq is down 111 points and the S & P is down 56 points in the same period of time..

[edit on 22-1-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I 'm surprised there hasn't been that much discussion on the Obama fight with the Banks. I thought you americans would have something to say about it

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 22-1-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

We all know that if the democrat had won the election in Mass., and the market did the same, all the loony tunes would be blaming it on the dems. So, I'll play their game and day that Scott Brown is destroying the Obama rally. Clearly, it's easier to play that game than use big-people thinking.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I 'm surprised there hasn't been that much discussion on the Obama fight with the Banks. I thought you americans would have something to say about it

We focus on important things, like his birth certificate, here in the retarded states of america. It's much easier to focus on that sorta tripe than the supreme court ruling that has the potential to be the final death nail in democracy's coffin. This fight with the banks might just mark the last stand of both our country, and obama. They might assassinate both, if they feel their bottom-line and power take-over are at all in jeopardy.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I'm not a stock person myself at all. So explain this to me please. I'm looking at this page:

moneycentral.msn.com...

It looks like the DOW closed today at 10,172.98

It looks like a 52-week low was 6,469.95

So doesn't that mean that it's been much lower than it is currently? Am I reading this right that it's not much of a big deal? Hopefully you can explain this to me because I was wondering about this earlier. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Screw Wall Street.

We are going to lose our 401ks anyway...they've been profiting off of them for years. They just wanted to tie us into Wall Street so we would care if profits were up or down.

They don't give a damn about our constitution, our individual liberty, or our sovereignty as a nation.

SCREW THEM. If we have to fall for them to fall...then so be it. I want a better future my daughter.

I cannot believe this insanity.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman

The DJIA closed today down 216.90 points, and has lost 536 points in 3 days. Obviously from Obama's tough talk about taxing and regulating the banks more. my question is why is this happening? Is obama actually gonna go thru with his proposals and will it ever get thru congress to actually be law. is this stock market terorism by the bankers making the stocks "crash"? Nasdaq is down 111 points and the S & P is down 56 points in the same period of time..

This is Goldman Sacs sending Obama a message and they really do have that ability, by the way.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

This is Goldman Sacs sending Obama a message and they really do have that ability, by the way.

As far as i know, GOldman Sachs is not one of the banks he is going after....and yes.....we all know why.

Obama could be a good freaking leader if he would be honest and strong...yet he lies and is horribly weak.

Our country is in such dire shape.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Wall street has been in serious disconnect with the conditions of the reality on mainstreet. High unemployment, a huge national debt, trade deficits, and growing concern over a weak dollar. I'm surprised the Market hasn't gone down sooner. Whether this is due to the banking regulations being proposed or the fact unemployment has again risen, or even maybe going for another round of lets see how far the market can fall, is up to speculation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the year the Government pays for it's economic irresponsibility.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
www.businessweek.com...

JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. may have to sell some private-equity businesses and stop investing in buyouts under a proposal by President Barack Obama to limit bets made by banks with their own capital.

so actually Obama is going after Goldam Sachs... supposedly.. i for one think its nothing more than rhetoric..

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

so actually Obama is going after Goldam Sachs... supposedly.. i for one think its nothing more than rhetoric..

If he really is....and I've been a strong critic of Obama...then I will support him. I'm at the point where there I don't know who to even look to.

We need a real leader. Obama has a choice.

He can either be the one who let the United States fall...

Or he can be the one that helped save it.

My God I can't believe I'm posting this. This is how dire things have become.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

His administartion is full of hypocrisy.. the guy says he wants to go after big business and tax cheats yet his administartion is full of... big businessman and tax cheats. he says hes going after big banks, AFTER he bailed them out and gave the federal reserve more power than its ever had in its history.. he said he was gonna end the wars but all he has done is expand them... the guy is a puppet to special interests, big business and the federal reserve. a manchurian candidate, both black and white preaching equality and justice for all... the supreme court just ruled to let big business buy any candidate they want. you dont think obama isnt gonna pander to them in 2012? cause he is, he already has, except now there is no limit to the amount of influence that the corporations have in washington d.c. americans have no say in who thier leaders are anymore period. we are officially a bankocracy, the corparate states of america with a military wing to rape the rest of the world of resources and make mona mona moneeeyyy!!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So what? The DOW should have never risen to 10k in the first place.

It needs to go down where it should be : below 7000 at the very least.

The economy is not recovering, it's all deception by the numbers.

The stock market is a joke and nobody is buying it.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

If he really is....and I've been a strong critic of Obama...then I will support him. I'm at the point where there I don't know who to even look to.

We need a real leader. Obama has a choice.

He can either be the one who let the United States fall...

Or he can be the one that helped save it.

My God I can't believe I'm posting this. This is how dire things have become.

I agree, he has some very hard choices to make, and make soon.

As for the markets dropping, I can not say I am surprised. This rally felt too strong to me. I bet a few people made a ton of money yesterday and today, shorting bank and energy stocks. Oil, gold and silver as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

His administartion is full of hypocrisy.. the guy says he wants to go after big business and tax cheats yet his administartion is full of... big businessman and tax cheats. he says hes going after big banks, AFTER he bailed them out and gave the federal reserve more power than its ever had in its history.. he said he was gonna end the wars but all he has done is expand them... the guy is a puppet to special interests, big business and the federal reserve. a manchurian candidate, both black and white preaching equality and justice for all... the supreme court just ruled to let big business buy any candidate they want.

I know. Believe me...i've pointed it out many times in countless posts. But what can we do? The next elections will have completely corrupted politicians in office. Now all we are left is with those who are in office now...the few who may not be corrupted or who will hopefully see that our entire country is at stake.

What can/should we do?

I'm a conservative/liberatian...but most of all I'm an American. ALL of us are. I can't believe the supreme court just handed our country away to foreign interests and corporations need to be stripped of their rights as a human being.

I agree stocks were too high. Many of us thought a double dip was coming. Perhaps it is here.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I hope so and I hope he goes after them like promised. Deregulation got us into this mess. And they don't like going back into time out.

Never again should a bank get so big to affect global economy.

There needs to be more regualations.

Insurance companies shouldn't be buying and trading mortgages and vice versa. You should know who owns your mortgage or loan.

We don't ever need to see that beast again.

They can rattle their sabers all they want, this country fully prospered under regulation.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
To say the dow should be below 7000 is definitely possible, and probably even lower. It should have already happened! But it will rise again The thing is the leaders bailed out banks and spent so much. Those things are what brought us back out of the 6500 range and gave us some growth. So basically we should be way way lower than we are.

I don't think it can last unless they keep using their little tricks or "tools of debasement" as Reinhardt would put it.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Insurance companies shouldn't be buying and trading mortgages and vice versa. You should know who owns your mortgage or loan.

Right...but Obama has ignored this for over a year. He has guaranteed taxpayer money to banks for the next 3 years.

He needs to come clean Nixie. He's a weak President and the state of our country is showing it.

He needs to prove that he stands with the American people...or he needs to go away.

Time is running out. Democrats are about to lose most of their seats unless they fall to corruption from corporate money in the coming elections.

I've been a constant critic of Obama.....he needs to DO THE RIGHT THING. He needs to prove that he has the best interests of the American public...whether he has to admit his own corruption or not.

We need to take a stand. Too many people are hurting nixie.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

I'm an independent with conservative/libertarian leanings, this is the first proposal to come out of the administration in months that I agree with. Many of these institutions should have failed in late 08 or last year. Bankruptcy is a necessary component in Capitalism. To Big to Fail = To Big to Exist.

As far as the market's decline over this week I tend to look at it as some reality starting to creep back in. Sure there is the political component from the Massachusetts surprise, and Obama's recent bank plan, but really should the S&P be up around 50% since the bottom last March?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join