It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sheriff says mom forced son to kill pet hamster

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Sheesh. I cant believe people would defend her for doing something so horribly cruel to her own child. Let alone the poor hamster.

I don't think people are defending her. What she did was awful but even the best parents make mistakes. Still the child will suffer less mental harm than if they take him from his mother. That is far more traumatic and should only be reserved fo the worst cases of child abuse. Everything possible should be done to help the child stay in his home. Counseling, anger management and parenting classes should be more than sufficient while the child id STILL AT HOME.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I experienced something just like this when I was a young teen.I can tell you that it was very,very traumatizing.It was not because of bad grades but because my father decided that the mice were multiplying to fast in their cage(which they were)and he was yelling at me and said that I had to go into the basement and fill up a bucket of scalding hot water and drop all the mice in the bucket and drown them.I could not believe that he would ask me to do that.I refused and pleaded with him to find another way to set them free outside so they would at least have a chance to survive.He told me that if I didn't do what he said that he would do it right in front of me.I screamed and cried and begged him so hard not to do this to them and to please let me take them away from the house and set them free so they wouldn't have to die.He then grabbed them one by one and threw them in the scalding water.I never looked at my father again the same way and had so much hatred towards him after this incident.It is and was emotional abuse.This happened back in the 70's and I still carry around the memories of that day.Some of you may say "It's just a mouse" but it is a living thing and what do you think your teaching your child when you punish them by killing something they love?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
Jews came into it because according to your Final Solution to kill off all the humans what happened to the Jewish people at the hands of Hitler and his Nazis fits nicely into your plan.

You are confusing yourself with me, no need to bring your Jewish obsession in this thread. It's off topic.

So, how have you been celebrating the deaths of all of those people in Haiti? That seems like it would make you happy as well...

Actually no, suffering of any living creature is bad. Seems you really had a bright day after hearing the tragedy of Haiti (which is again off topic) by the way you described your breakfast in earlier post.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I feel this fail of a mother should serve time in Joe Arpaio's correctional facility at Maricopa County, Arizona. Make her work to death to pay for her own food while incarcerated as well as pay for funding to the local animal shelter.

On a separate note. I want to say that I love how poor innocent little dogs and cats w/o homes get put to sleep on a regular basis at animal pounds while we have rapists, murderers, and child-molesters living off three meals a day and jacking off on their asses at the expense of our tax-dollars.

[edit on 1/22/10 by Marked One]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
What she did was awful but even the best parents make mistakes.

I personally feel she should not have custody of her children until AFTER she passes a psych eval. Perhaps a non-crazy family member could step in until then.

Forcing your child to kill a beloved pet as punishment is not a mistake. It is cruel and unusual punishment. It is psychological and emotional abuse, and if she would cross that line, there is no telling what else she does to the child or children.

en.wikipedia.org...

The U.S. Department of Justice defines emotionally abusive traits as including causing fear by intimidation, threatening physical harm to self, partner, children, or partner's family or friends, destruction of pets and property, forcing isolation from family, friends, or school or work.[2]

The cops did what they should have done, and what they should do more often. I cant tell you how many times I have read thread where the kindness and compassion of women has been proclaimed, but the fact of the matter is, women are particularly skilled at emotional and psychological abuse, and it should be recognized for what it is, and condemned just as harshly as the physical varieties.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'd like to know what methods the mother used to "force" the child to kill the pet... How severe would your punishment have to be in order for you to kill your pet? I'm glad they took the kid away because he was obviously mentally unstable, probably due to his mother of course.. This kid was 12 years old, not 5 I'm sure any "sane" child at that age would have refused at almost all costs..... You have to take this kids mental health into consideration, seems like no one questions it...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I too, had a very mental abusive mother. My mother was certifiably insane from years of drug use on top of being down right crazy, but better that than to have suffered in today's foster care system. AKA any thing after 1997. The average foster child is on 11 psychotropic drugs
Fostercare prescriptions--Finally Alarm

Drugs missused in foster kids
Foster parents put focus on chemical restraints

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Originally posted by YourPopRock
Jews came into it because according to your Final Solution to kill off all the humans what happened to the Jewish people at the hands of Hitler and his Nazis fits nicely into your plan.

You are confusing yourself with me, no need to bring your Jewish obsession in this thread. It's off topic.

So, how have you been celebrating the deaths of all of those people in Haiti? That seems like it would make you happy as well...

Actually no, suffering of any living creature is bad. Seems you really had a bright day after hearing the tragedy of Haiti (which is again off topic) by the way you described your breakfast in earlier post.

Ok, you couldn't even follow a consistent thought in that post.

Suffering is bad? But you wanted to kill off all humans.

Obsession with Jews? I am Jewish. But, seeing the anti-semitic threads you seem to enjoy in your signature, I can see where your opinions lay.

And because Haiti has a tragedy, I am not allowed to eat breakfast?

But as my momma always said "Crack don't smoke ITSELF!"

I gotta ask, how many anti-depressents are you on anyway?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Like I said, I grew up in foster care too. I know it is imperfect, and it needs reform badly.

If the best interests of children were the concern, there would be some screening, licensing, and training done BEFORE people were allowed to go make babies. Thats what I would prefer, so that children arent even born into homes with incompetent parents. But, parents rights always take precedence over child welfare, and God knows that would have everyone screaming about their rights, while the status quo has children bring beaten, neglected, bounced around, and psychologically tortured.

I know, let the flames begin. God forbid you should have to be qualified to raise a human being.

Edit to add;

My brother, who didnt get removed from our home, killed himself. I am fine. Although every situation is different, I think it is absolutely wrong not to pull children from the home when there is psychological abuse going on.

I also had a foster brother kill himself at 12 shortly after being RETURNED to his own parents, because he couldnt take it anymore.

Maybe your own mother wasnt as bad as some, because I know many people who were better off in the hell of foster care than at home.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Look you can try your baiting (about anti-semitic..obsession with Jews etc.) I don't care about that, but you are mistaken if you think I will bite it. It is obvious you are trying to derail the thread with your ravings.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Damn I wanna cry. What a sad story.

Poor boy.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Please stay on topic:

US sheriff says mom forced son to kill pet hamster

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
What the article didn't tell you was that the hamster had it coming.That's what you get for staying out at all hours throwing dice and pimping.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

news.bostonherald.com...=home&position=recent

The 38-year-old mother, Lynn Middlebrooks Geter, faces charges of animal cruelty, child cruelty and battery. She remained in a jail early Friday and it was not immediately known if she had a lawyer.

Child abuse and psychological cruelty IS the topic. Or should we be focusing on hamster abuse?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If the mother did it... and it breaks a law... and she is found guilty... then throw the book at her. But more importantly, get this kid some help!

I really do have to ask this question though...

When I read this story, why can't I stop thinking about playing "Whack-A-Mole"?!?!?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by calstorm
You people really believe the child would be better off being taken from his home? If so you have know clue what goes on once a child is put in foster care.

I spent most of my childhood in foster care. And it does suck, no question. But I also had a crazy mom, and the damage that she did to me by far outweighs the damage done to me by the foster care system.
'
Crazy psychologically abusive people should not have custody of children. Period. We do need to clean up the foster care system. But it is more damaging to be tortured by someone you love than to be mistreated by a stranger.

Edit to add; Neither I nor any of the foster children I knew were forced to take psych meds. Of course that was before the whole ADD diagnosis became all the rage.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

And, so did I. I went from one home to another, but to make it clear, the foster homes that I lived in were 1000 % better than the family home I was mentally, physically and emotionally abused in.

Also, when I was in the system, a lot of places ( foster homes or group homes) would NOT accept you if you were on psych meds.

I agree with you totally, Illusionsaregrander.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

First of all, you have no clue what it was like with my mother. The day she died brought no sorrow but relief.
That said, I am talking about what foster care is like today. in the last 10-15 years it has become a place f far worse abuses than most children ever experience at home. A place were sexual abuse is the norm. No child ever deserves to be abused in any way shape or form. Unfortunately right now as it stands a child not being removed is the lesser of the two evils. As far as parents rights go, parents have no rights. It is guilty until proven innocent. The majority of children in foster care are there because their parents made them eat their veggies or made them clean their room. really stupid stuff. but thanks to title IV it is profitable to remove children for no substantiated reason, so we have an over crowded foster care system where social workers are rewarded for lying and not doing their job.
As far as we know this child has yet to be molested but the chances of him escaping that in foster care are very slim. Statistics prove that the majority of molestation cases happen in foster care. Unfortunately in the news the omit the words foster or adoptive and just put parent in.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

It doesn't matter if the animal and human have "bond", bond does not make it right or wrong to kill animals. If one kills defenseless animals (which pose no threat to them, or for survival) they out to be eradicated. You trying to justify it's ok to kill animals if there is no bond is disgusting.

You’re speaking from pure ignorance. I have no problem with killing an animal out of necessity. I do, however, have a problem with killing animals for sport, for $20,000 furs, malice etc. With that being said, you need to look at what I was replying to and pay attention to the word HALAL as your knowledge of what I was replying to is lacking. However, I am compassionate, do not want you to remain in ignorance and do not take your personal attacks seriously. So here is something to get you started.

en.wikipedia.org...

And that was for you by the way.

See above, and do yourself a favor and read and comprehend what is being said before you reply again.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

There is a difference between teaching your child to live off the land (something my father taught me) as opposed to having your child kill his/her pet because they failed classes in school.

Big difference.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by anotherdad

How much worse though is it than the parent who has no invlement or to much involement in anything/everything and speaks horribly to the child?

It's all bad because it's all neglect. But in this case, as I've stated before, it actually shows the type of love the mother has for her child. No matter what, there is going to be damage to the child, it doesn't matter if he stays with her, or is placed in the care of others, he now has to undergo a change/transition that children shouldn't have to experience.

Let me put this way, if i could have gotten out of the Sh#t i had to deal with by killing a hamster, my only response would have been "can i just flush afterwords or do i need to bury it"

What exactly did you have to deal with? Unless this child had a learning disability, the bad grades should be linked not only to his study habits, activities after school, etc but also his mother.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join