page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

US sheriff says mom forced son to kill pet hamster

news.b ostonherald.com

WARM SPRINGS, Georgia — A woman is in jail after police say she forced her 12-year-old son to kill his pet hamster with a hammer as punishment for bad grades.

The sheriff of a rural Georgia county said Thursday that the boy told his teacher about the killing. The teacher reported it to state child welfare authorities, who contacted police.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The 38-year-old mother, Lynn Middlebrooks Geter, faces charges of animal cruelty, child cruelty and battery. She remained in a jail early Friday and it was not immediately known if she had a lawyer.

How could you possibly force your son to do something horrible like this. It's nothing new that people abuse animals, but it seems to get worse and worse.

news.b ostonherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well, we don't know if something was wrong with the hamster, ie suffering. And it is personal opinion based on who should kill it, but the mother forcing the child i agree is wrong. Then again, the word force could be misleading within this context.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
WOAH! That is insane!! What was going through her mind when she dreamed up that punishment.

I hope she spends some time in the clink for that, I just hope her child is taken away from her because someone that nutty shouldn't be 'taking care' of children anyway.

S&F for the crazy find!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
How could anyone support tax dollars being spent on this?

Whatever happened to "Sorry man that sucks"?

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by anotherdad

Sorry man, that sucks?

She made her 12 year old child kill an animal with a hammer for making bad grades. In my opinion, they won't keep her in jail long enough. That more than sucks, that is screwing with the mind of a child.

Sorry man, it sucks and someone should pay.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Well, we don't know if something was wrong with the hamster, ie suffering

Did you even read the OP?

Let me help you, it's the first sentence in the op's snip.

WARM SPRINGS, Georgia — A woman is in jail after police say she forced her 12-year-old son to kill his pet hamster with a hammer as punishment for bad grades.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
NOT a good thing to do for sure
but putting her in jail is worse
what tha! charged with battery!?
people do bad things to people and don't end up in jail!
rediculous ...

[edit on 22-1-2010 by AmericanDaughter]

[edit on 22-1-2010 by AmericanDaughter]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This lady is innocent until proven guilty. Moreover, this could be a case of police rushing to judgement and believing the boy when she may be 100% innocent. However, if the allegations are true, this woman is mentally unstable and the child should be removed from her home. If true, this entire incident is going to impact the child in some way, it's very unfortunate.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Really?

Sorry man that sucks?

Did you read the OP?

You don't see any problems in forcing a child to kill THEIR pet as punishment for bad grades.

So what do you suggest for punishment if the kid ever gets expelled? Let me guess, behead his best friend with a butter knife and tell the bestfriends mom, "sorry man, that sucks"???

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Don't get me wrong please, the mother made horrible (to say the least) decision. But the alternatives would be....
1. Waste tax payer money over a dead rat.
2. have tptb tell us how to parent.
3. make people get a liscense to have children.

Thats my point and to back up my previous quote "that sucks" end of story IMO

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
What if she were forced to kill her child because he had bad grades? Assuming the allegations are true, having her child kill the pet shows the type of love she has for her child.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

But if a person gets a license to have a child aren't they being told how to parent or how parenting should be done?

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
NOT a good thing to do for sure
but putting her in jail is worse
what tha! charged with battery!?
people do bad things to people and don't end up in jail!
rediclous ...

You don't see anything wrong with some one FORCING another human being to KILL another living creature? Really?

You do realize that she made him kill his pet because he got a bad grade right? You do realize that this IS a very emotionally abusive thing to do, right?

You do realize that if we do not step in and help this boy, he very easily could become a very disturbed individual....

So let me ask you this... Since you have no problem with this mom forcing her son to kill his pet by smashing it with a hammer, because he got a bad grade... What happens if we do not step in? Would it still be OK if she handed him a gun and forced him to kill a human? Or is that different? I guess different animals have different values to you?

If we do nothing,What is the next punishment? Tell me? What is the next step up if forcing him to kill his hamster does not work? Does he then have to be forced to kill a dog or cat? And if that does not work? Does he have to kill a person?

Where do you think we should draw the line?

Let's face it. Abuse is abuse, and this lady comited abuse on both the animal and her child. If she is capable of forcing her son to do this, she is capable of a lot worse.

YOU are wrong. It is just that simple. You are wrong. This kid needed help and I am so glad he is getting it.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Yes your suggestion is cleary the next appropriate level of excelation

My daughter sat at the dinner table for 2 hours last night before she finished what food she took. Should i call the police to see if thats OK? Maybe i should go to jail!

The mom acted like an absolute idiot, The police IMO should have no involvement though.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

That's my point, all 3 of my suggestions are idiotic IMO.

2 line post.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Meanwhile halal butchers kill thousands of sheep by slitting their throat.

But hitting a hamster with a hammer is somehow even more monstrous and evil.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

First off as a "moderator" please read my comment towards the mother.

second, i suggest as i look at your point (a good one) of what level animal is OK to kill above a hamster "where does it stop" i ask you to look at mine which is the same just going the opposit direction..

Dont step on that ant....

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Dude, comparing keeping your kid at the dinner table because they wont eat there veggies, with punishing a kid by forcing them to kill their PET in cold blood with a hammer, is a bit of a stretch there, dont ya think?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

It makes me hate human more and more with each passing day. Nature did a crime creating a virus called humans and is now paying for it.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by December_Rain]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join