It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombardier CRJ Assembly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Sorry to report nothing new here, I've just got a request for the great members of ATS. It has come to pass that I need a great deal of detailed information about the Bombardier CRJ series (if it's relevant, the 700/900/1000 variants). What I'm trying to get at is really good information about the fuselage stringers, and any information is good. Materials, fastener sizes, Internal and external pressures, pictures, diagrams, it's all gold to me.

The people here know more than google about this sort of thing, so thanks for any information you can get a hold of.

Pr0

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wow, sounds a little like your planning to blow one up! - I can't help you but why such a specific request for information?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm looking into it because I'm supposed to do an in-depth engineering analysis of the fuselage stringer (CAD modeling and Finite Element Analysis), but of course we haven't been given any information other than that. The group felt like taking the traditional methods of contacting the companies for info (which will take its own time), and I figured a far more efficient option would be to talk to the people here, many of whom are aerospace professionals as opposed to marketing teleoperators.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Erm.

I assume this is for uni? Does your uni have a research arrangement with Bombardier?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
The group felt like taking the traditional methods of contacting the companies for info (which will take its own time), and I figured a far more efficient option would be to talk to the people here, many of whom are aerospace professionals as opposed to marketing teleoperators.

I think the rest of the group is going to do better than you are, imho. They have chosen the efficient approach, you have chosen the inefficient approach.

They are getting their information from the horses mouth, you are getting information from third parties whom you then have to validate and ensure you aren't getting passed duff information.

I'm betting that part of your assignment will be to document everything - your fellow students will be able to trace their information right back to the manufacturer, while you will only be able to trace it back to 'someone on the internet', or you may get lucky and be able to attribute it to an aerospace manufacturer, but you will still have to prove that their information is viable and correct before proceeding with your analysis.

I think you have chosen the wrong path, but thats just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
They are getting their information from the horses mouth, you are getting information from third parties whom you then have to validate and ensure you aren't getting passed duff information.

I'm looking less for straight information according to the users and more for sources. It's extremely difficult to find appropriate sources with the information we seek (and, it turns out that contacting manufacturers has not returned the needed results. We get general information which is readily available, but not the specifics that we're trying for), and ATS is a hive of people who know where the best information can be found.

As well, I'm well aware that taking this approach solely is a poor idea, which is why I'm using it as a complement to the more obvious approach on the hope that someone will have information that makes our search go faster.

edit: This is for a Uni project, yes, but the Uni has nothing to do with Bombardier on this. As such, Bombardier is no more willing to give us information than anyone off the street, which makes it difficult to get the level of detail that we'd like to have.

[edit on 1/24/2010 by Darkpr0]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Does this have to be specifically a CRJ*? Will "generic" data do?

*Especially given there is no way of actually verifying whether it is accurate compared to a CRJ DMU or not...

I would disagree with Richard in that trying to get info from Bombardier is worse than trying to get blood from a stone. It might be 6 months before they even acknowledge your request... if your lucky. Been there... done that...

I think your best starting point is research papers that look at laser beam welding or friction stir welding for aircraft fuselages. There should be some doing comparisons of those techniques to rivetted fuselages.... and that data should hopefully include rivet details, rivet pitches, stringer details, stringer pitches and maybe even rib details/pitches...

Which should be enough to get you going.

One thing I would emphasise; DO NOT RELY ON BOMBARDIER GETTING YOU INFO

[edit on 24/1/10 by kilcoo316]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Does this have to be specifically a CRJ*? Will "generic" data do?

Sure, generic data is good. Corporations like to use common parts, airlines are no different. Any information that's true is good information, so hit me with whatever you've got.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
I'm looking into it because I'm supposed to do an in-depth engineering analysis of the fuselage stringer (CAD modeling and Finite Element Analysis), but of course we haven't been given any information other than that.

"The fuselage stringer"...

There are several fuselage stringers, of several different sections, Z, J, I and C are all in there. Even better, there are several different sizes for each of the sections. Probably upwards of a dozen overall different stringers.

Is it just a typical stringer, or a skin-stringer section you are after? What about fuselage frames?

Please be very specific.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Is it just a typical stringer, or a skin-stringer section you are after? What about fuselage frames?

Problem is right now it's hard to be specific because we haven't been able to get significant detailed information about the aircraft or its assembly, so I can't tell you exactly which section, but from what I understand we're looking for information pertaining to stringers housed in the right rear fuselage sections behind and away from the wings but ahead of where the fuselage cross section diameter starts decreasing.

Even generic information like what kind of rivets are used, what kind of bolts, what kind of aluminum is used as the skin, that stuff would be really great to know.

Thanks for the help, Kilcoo.

new topics

top topics

join