It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living in Terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Of what?

The color of the day? is it yellow? what color will it be tomorrow?

I am tired of these threats.. and vague reports of "imminent attacks" ... who really wants us living in fear?.. Terrorists or Others?

My children are faced with this world we have helped create... and I do not want them living in fear of an ambiguous enemy.. It is time that we accept the realities of this war we did not ask for and realize the threats against us... But when I have to think about terrorists living among us... plotting our destruction.. calling for 'jihad' I really look away from that and wonder what my children are thinking.. do we need them growing up in a world they are afraid of?

Our youth have seen the best and worst of this war along with the rest of us... they have their own thoughts, views and opinions on this and I can tell you they are afraid of the unknown.... that unknown I am unable to explain.. I have had questions like this: "Why do they hate us?"
"what did we do to make them so mad?" "Will they try to kill us all?"

I have tried my best to answer.. but I can tell you there are few answers.. and as I see it ... it is their future we are screwing with here not ours.. the youth of this world will be dealing with the things we have done and things done to us for many many generations ... that I am sure of.

But dammit I am afraid that the FEAR we are putting in them will only create an environment that will breed more anger, hatred and WAR!

We can all look at the terror alerts and take it with a grain of salt.. But future generations will have grown up through this seeing, feeling these things in far more deep ways than most of us will... war breeds war.

Living in terror means little or nothing to me.. But I think we are scaring the hell out of our children.. so much so that one day they will be willing to do almost anything in the name of security.

The Warnings that come from the government do nothing more than strike fear in all the wrong places.. it is TERROR for some... and it is the ultimate prize for this enemy.

We must live our lives one day at a time now and take nothing for granted.. teach our young ones the values that matter to us... But I believe most important of all we should teach our youth how they should never live in FEAR of anything or anyone.

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself"

Do not let them force you to live in terror...EVER.. Deny them their victory.. Deny ignorance.. and do not always believe what you see or hear!

Gazz

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Gazz-

I find it difficult to put in works a reply to your post.

Your questions, feeling, fears are on most all our minds and when articulate so powerful as to silence the room.

How did we get to this place? How can we fix it? And what is the effect on our children?

I have no answers for the state of affairs or how it might be repaired; and I too, worry of the effect on the kids. You’re right. We can not live in fear; nor do we want our kids to learn to live in fear. And the question, “What kind of world have we made for to grow up in.” haunts me.

Our kids are all adults now, but for me, I worry about the grands. It’s not easy being parents. And I worry about our kids and how they are holding up as parents with the list of problem we all now face. I must admit, that list is a bit more demanding then it might have been for us as parents. And I hope we have given them the tools, through our example as parents to be the parents’ their children now need.

I know this may sound trite, but I understand how you feel.

God bless you, we’ll get through this………..

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hmm, we American's are just so privileged.
People whine and cry over the warnings given by the government and say they are weary of them, it's a shame that my children have to live in such, etc., etc.

Tell you what, grab a tissue, go to church more often, maybe just deal with it? Is America supposed to be exempt from attack? Is America supposed to be exempt from terror and terrorists? Was an terrorist attack, and more, not expected within or on America? I was just as shocked as anyone when this happened, but was it not something that was sooner or later bound to come to America?

Now that America is not exempt from such occurances, now or in the future, the next time you look at your loved one, your best friends, or your children, imagine those in other parts of the world that have been dealing with this for decades. What do you think they think when the government issues a terrorist advisory or alert? What do they think about when they see their loved ones, their best friends, or their children? Do they whine and cry like so many are doing today in America and how its effecting our children? I'll say it again, how about those parts of the world that have been dealing with it and are teaching their children to deal with it, that though they live under the threat of daily terrorism, that life does indeed go on?! Pity us but what about them?

Personally, I'll deal with it, and my family will deal with it.
If you live in fear, you live in fear because you so choose to live in fear. I guess it just makes life and every day that more precious, eh?
Terrorism effects us all, and 'all' does not imply just America.

Welcome to the dawn of a 'new' world.

seekerof

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
At the risk of sounding a little too pragmatic, I just had to make point that if the US government were not to at least warn us of such attacks, there would inevitably be another backlash just like post 9/11 concerning intelligence gathering, etc. From what I've gathered from this forum alone is that the government is embroiled in a "damned if you do, damned if you dont" predicament, where if they issue warnings of potential attacks they are accused of fearmongering or being presumptuous, while on the other hand if they do not issue adequate warnings, they are then scolded and denounced by the public for not alerting everyone. I think some Americans are a bit finicky and oversensitive when it comes to such things, I mean, at least your children are not amputees or sufferering the after effects of depleted uranium exposure.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It's a Catch-22, Gazz, and astarc hit the nail squaw on the head, IMO.

It's hard to hear stuff about "credible intelligence" and "chatter" on a regular basis like we are now. It's hard to be semi-fearful so often. We didn't have to worry about that before 9-11, but now we do? It sucks.
There was evidence before 9-11 that OBL & gang wanted to hit us, "credible intelligence," if you will, but it wasn't broadcast on such a wide range like today.
What happened? The country was caught unaware and completely shocked.

But ... gods forbid .... if it happens again, you can bet that people will be screaming from the rooftops, "WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN US??!!?" if they weren't making this info public.
I like to think that the publicity surrounding these threats may have given potential attackers pause. Maybe they see DHS telling us they're gonna go Orange, and how security will be beefed way up and for everyone to remain vigilant, and Mr. Terrorist thinks "Ya know, maybe this won't work after all..."

That's the comfort I find when faced with another "warning" from the gov't.
Maybe it's idealistic, but it works, ya know?

-B.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I second what Seekerof and astarc said in their posts above. Many Americans can't seem to agree in one option, if we get attacked and it was not announced before hand, because it could have just been a rumor, then there is government bashing of some sort of involvement and that they did not warn us. If we are warned of possible attacks then people bash, and yell about the US government trying to scare everyone... Take these "warnings" as what they are......"warnings of possible attacks."

What Banshee said ^^^

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Tell things to people long enough and they start to believe it and eventually they fall in line. I don't doubt that there will be another event but what I do doubt are the claims as to who is supposedly responsible. Keep us reminded on a daily basis through the media whores like CNN and once every month or so blow something up and the sheep will fall in line.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
that is excaclty wat they want is us to be afraid so we wont ask any questions.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by astarc
From what I've gathered from this forum alone is that the government is embroiled in a "damned if you do, damned if you dont" predicament,...

The real underlying problem is folks for the most part no longer trust our government. THINK.

From the day JFK was shot down in Dallas and the tragedies that followed( I don't think I need to list them for you all.....) the level of trust in government has gone in the toilet.

Now with this current President," black is white";" it's always a new and sunny day" and quite frankly, he's a better liar then Clinton ever tried to be........

Now tell me...............why the hell should anyone trust any damn thing they say........... And why shouldn't you belooking for the 'hook' every time they tell you anything............WHY????

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I like the question, "Why do they hate us?"

And people generally take one of two stances, I think.

First, there are those who blame themselves, or, if liberal, the Government, and absolve themselves of any involvement made by the government as if they had nothing to do with it. These people generally agree with the Islamic fundamentalists view that all American forces should be pulled out of any Muslim-centric country, and that our presence has caused them to become angry.

Funny thing, though, these are the same people who overlook the fundamentalists complaints against US culture being tolerant toward women, and upholding their rights. They tend to overlook the lack of tolerance the fundamentalists have for homosexual relationships when they themselves seem to believe that it should be considered normal by everyone and that the rights of gays should be respected. I've heard it said that the more one is educated, the more liberal they become. I wonder. Can they accept the fundamentalists idea that the only people that should be educated are the male of the species, and that their first and most formative education experience should drive home the importance of the hatred of western ideals?

Cry the mantra, "Can't we all just get along" all you like. The truth is that they hate us, and there ain't a damn thing we can do about it. They have chosen, and they have declared war.

Then there are the other people who believe more realistically that no matter how you try, not everyone is going to like you. And that's up to them. They don't like our adult themes on TV and they don't want it pervading and perverting their lifestyle. They don't like our restaurants showing up on their streetcorners, and as fat as we are, I can't say I blame them. They don't like our lack of reverence for God and his teachings (this applies just as much to our God as theirs. If even half of us practiced half of Christ's teachings, we probably wouldn't be having this problem). They don't like secular governmental rule. And I think they especially don't like seeing the world being overrun by American/Western ideals in general, which is, in fact, happening.

If they want to kill us, so be it. It won't be the last time. I know, it really sucks to be poor and downtrodden, and it really sucks that they choose to be ruled by oppressive ideals and rulers. Hey, I'd be pissed off too. But it's their bag, and they've been living in it for 1400 years now by choice. I don't see how they think their lives are going to get any better by killing all the members of the western world. If they did win, and they did kill us all, they would have such an abundance of resources and land that they would end up just like we were before they destroyed us.

Humans are so stupid.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
they say they are fighting us because we are infidels, honestly though i think they are just jeleous! they wanna kill us and take are stuff.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
the media does nothing but fuel the fire when they talk of terrorist attacks.... just think how much easier it would be to never discuss any terrorist at all. i can phase them out of my mind, why can the media. i have never once in my whole life thought that a terrorist might attack me. i mean it could happen but i dont let those thoughts polute my brain. living like that is to live like a great big p*ssy. thats wat all the media is who talk about that $hit day in and day out a buncha p*ssy just f*kin forget about it and talk about baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
talking about how something COULD happen accomplishes absolutly nothing............... f*kin tards....

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Joker
Keep us reminded on a daily basis through the media whores like CNN and once every month or so blow something up and the sheep will fall in line.

Sheep? lol, what is this another sheppherd wantabe?

You people are obsessed with sheep, you better start having relationships with your human opposites and forget the sheep...

new topics

top topics

join