It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Terror threat raised to severe.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The U.K. terror threat has been raised tonight to Severe.

Sky news reported this around 25 minutes ago.

let's hope this comes to nothing...

news.sky.com...

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Doesn't mean anything. It's just because of the risk posed by unsavoury chaps from Yemen. There is no specific threat, just a heightened risk.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I've just turned on the news and they are making a pretty big deal about this, seems like they are definitely expecting something soon, oh wait no my bad I forgot it’s called fear mongering isn’t it.

Still let’s hope nothing does happen though.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Here is a thread with the allert status here in the UK.

www.homeoffice.gov.uk...

Second line

Respects

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Damn you beat me to it, i was just about to write about this. I was suprised to see what the "severe" means. Hope it's nothing but certainly it is interesting.

Also another site to follow the threat level and their meanings.

www.mi5.gov.uk...

Here's some history on the threat levels (source is the link):

22 January 2010

* Threat level raised to SEVERE

20 July 2009

* Threat level lowered to SUBSTANTIAL

4 July 2007

* Threat level lowered to SEVERE

30 June 2007

* Threat level raised to CRITICAL

14 August 2006

* Threat level lowered to SEVERE

10 August 2006

* Threat level raised to CRITICAL

1 August 2006

* Threat level published for the first time.
* Threat level: SEVERE

[edit on 22/1/10 by Dukarth]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is the forth highest level in a five level system.

the BBC are reporting it too.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Yea, the news stations are all over this for some reason. Lets hope there really is nothing to this.

And the Home secretary says people need to be 'more aware'... hmm, very ambiguous.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dukarth

Thanks. It does seem like the level moves around quite a bit then. I wonder why this is getting so much attention from the media here then, I don't remember this ammount of coverage happening before. could be wrong though.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Decent article......

"Sources said there had been intensive discussions throughout the day relating to intelligence suggesting a possible attempted “spectacular” by an al-Qaeda affiliated group."

Just realized how pointless the quoted text I chose was.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by anotherdad]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Yeah, they do make a fuss, especially when it's a slow news day and coupled with the recent attempt over Christmas, it has a heightened level of awareness.

The new alert level means a terrorist attack is considered "highly likely". It had stood at substantial since July.

It is in response to the perceived increased threat from international terrorism following the failed Detroit airliner bombing on Christmas Day.

Mr Johnson stressed there was no intelligence to suggest a terrorist attack was imminent.

Source - BBC

[edit on 22/1/10 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

What's with the huge yellow BREAKING NEWS bulletin?! It's about as informative as saying "PANIC NOW, TIME TO PANIC NOW!!!"

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Agreed, looks overly warning-like. I wonder why the people at Skynews feel like they have to scare people so much!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Sky = Newscorp = FOX = Rupert Murdoch = Evil Man with something to gain

Fear sells the metaphorical papers, basically.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Must be related to the Yemen and Iran war propaganda; False flag anyone?

What ever the "terrorist" threat is; it's sanctioned by the globalists which the UK is clearly a major player in.

Time to attack our own people to start a new war.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Id keep an eye out for new Corporate Businesses that may open up in the next 4 weeks.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Oh yes i remember now. Have you ever noticed that every so many few times the "media" take into account that there's going to be a terriorist attack there is usually silence but then out of the blue, the unexpected happens a so-called terror attack. All you have to do is look up and do your homework on corporate businesses. 1) who have been in business longest, 2) who have gone bankrupt, 3) who have been delibaretly turned into the authorities for cover ups and then 4) who will be replacing them. I know of a friend who is a lawyer for corporate interests and she made it very clear to me even though the money is good she could never really take on the full stand of them put together because she would most likely loose her job, be blacklisted and even worse have gov' agencies come after her and her family. At the end of the day she said pretty much who's responsble but only enfacised like gave a little "hint" and then she just left it at that.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My supposition:

1. The two 11yo evil bastards from Doncaster will released on some kind of witness protection programme, allowing them to commit more atrocities.

2. It gives Brown ammunition for his pseudo-Chilcot Iraq inquiry

3. It seeds fear to justify Chertoff scanners in UK airports.

4. Preliminary plans are underway to escalate tension with Yemen and provide a closer stepping stone towards Iran and her vast oil fields.

#3 is the most plausible.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What I find interesting is that the BBC is reporting that the uk is doing this to mirror the U.S, they even highlight it in bold text in the report. Are they really trying to say that something mightbhappen over the pond? It's hard to guess the ulterior motive behind what they are 'reporting' on.

Sorry tried to create the link to BBC but on the mobile so can't, it is on the front page at the moment. Also I like the theories created by the OP, Brown needs something for the enquiry and for the scanners.

[edit on 22/1/2010 by LestatG]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I wonder what the likely outcome would be on the UK if a 'spectacular' as they put it, were actually played out to fruition? Yes we've been living with terrorism for a long time but we have not experienced anything similar to september 11th 2001 in scale or effect. Obviouisly I'd rather not have it happen but I am slightly curious as to the reaction of the British public (my family and friends included) if something terrible did happen.

I figured we could use this thread for speculation as the thread in the breaking news board has the factual side of things covered.

top topics

join