It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Armchair Warriors

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Ok, here is some of the deeper discussion I like to see fellas. What would be some good ideas to collaborate create a platform that's easy to access information and give people some drive to do what's "right?"

Propaganda works, but I think it's best avoided.

Possibly some kind of short website with information plentiful, yet quick to access and absorb to quickly tell people the worst businesses to support and the small things they can do?

I'm just thinking here.

If we can get something started, momentum can grow and turn into something bigger. A supportive group would help keep people from slipping back into the general lifestyle.

So, ideas?

I'm willing to initiate something if there's a crowd willing to commit and get something started.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Ok, here is some of the deeper discussion I like to see fellas. What would be some good ideas to collaborate create a platform that's easy to access information and give people some drive to do what's "right?"

Well, you have to communicate in the way your target audience likes to communicate. Moreover, you have to understand how they learn. Are they visual, auditory or hands on learners? The main thing you want to do is bring about awareness first, the “do what’s right” will come later, but if people are not aware of the wrong, you have to start there.

Propaganda works, but I think it's best avoided.

No, you don’t need to use propaganda. You need to understand humans and what humans require. Moreover, you need to understand different cultures and social climates as this will allow you to penetrate your demographic.

Possibly some kind of short website with information plentiful, yet quick to access and absorb to quickly tell people the worst businesses to support and the small things they can do?

People are conditioned. They are conditioned to spend, conditioned to eat and conditioned to watch. A website would work, but again, you’re fighting conditioning and you have to get them to understand why change will help them and is in their best interest. See, you have to show them the benefits of such a thing, and you have to show them or give them an estimated time on when they will see results.

So yes, a website would work, using twitter, myspace, etc would work, but again, the people will need to understand what is wrong, why it is wrong, how they can change and how they can benefit from the change. Something interactive, while offering a unique user experience not rooted soley in text would be a good start. A phone app would also help as phone apps are becoming the rage and many people have cell phones.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

It's really the best weapon TPTB have on us. Like Pogo said, " We have met the enemy and he is us". If we can all band together in spite of our differences just think what a formidible opponent we can ALL be.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

There are plenty of ways to do this.

I agree that stating what to "do and not do" may come across as propoganda.

I made a thread, not so long ago, about fighting back against corporations.

You Can read it by clicking here.

I think maybe compiling a database of ACTIONS, not reasons why, or suggestions, would be appealing to people. Listing ways to fight back, listing cool things you could do for your community..etc.

People tend to shy away from preachy-ness, even when you are telling them how they get screwed everyday. Thats why I say to list actions.

People who want to make a change, will make the effort. These people will find your site/list.
People who are content in misery, will remain that way.

Just my opinion...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
reply to post by Scarcer

Well, you have to communicate in the way your target audience likes to communicate. Moreover, you have to understand how they learn. Are they visual, auditory or hands on learners? The main thing you want to do is bring about awareness first, the “do what’s right” will come later, but if people are not aware of the wrong, you have to start there.

No, you don’t need to use propaganda. You need to understand humans and what humans require. Moreover, you need to understand different cultures and social climates as this will allow you to penetrate your demographic.

People are conditioned. They are conditioned to spend, conditioned to eat and conditioned to watch. A website would work, but again, you’re fighting conditioning and you have to get them to understand why change will help them and is in their best interest. See, you have to show them the benefits of such a thing, and you have to show them or give them an estimated time on when they will see results.

So yes, a website would work, using twitter, myspace, etc would work, but again, the people will need to understand what is wrong, why it is wrong, how they can change and how they can benefit from the change. Something interactive, while offering a unique user experience not rooted soley in text would be a good start. A phone app would also help as phone apps are becoming the rage and many people have cell phones.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

Thank-you for being constructive.

In my mind right now, I have the idea of creating a website based on bettering yourself and your lifestyle, many people want to be healthy and do what's morally right. So with that understanding a website could be used to attract and educate people, which would possible be the foundation to "creating a better world."

So health, morality, education be the kind of values your talking about?

Health especially, there are many many people who dip toes into the topic of health, thinking that changing their cereal or eating a few less calories will make them feel better about themselves, when there is a whole unknown world full of grassroot health information.

Zeitgeist was on semi track of what I mentioned.. but I think the potential was wasted; but Zeitgeist itself had different foundations and is a completely different phenomenon.

Hmm,

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Scarcer]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Nice list! I didn't even know about your thread, and yeah. I'm just contemplating on what can be done to attract a bigger crowd, and like EMPIRE said, appeal to different peoples values.

I still like the new site idea though, can focus on different topics like health, positive lifestyle, another category could be morals along the sidebar, with quick links to different things, including enviromentalism and something labeled like "quick list for supporting a better tomorrow," where many principles can be placed, including businesses that shouldn't be supported etc. Understand where I'm going with this?

So what could be done with this idea? Or what other options are there.

And yeah, saying right/wrong can be propaganda, but propaganda usually stretches and twists the truth to get it's point across. You don't have to do that.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Lets focus on continuing to contribute here, EMPIRE has since contributed constructive thoughts here and I'm thankful to that. Give em a break.

So, help me here, what are some thoughts on what we can do to encourage people.

And who would be willing to contribute into a project?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Thank-you for being constructive. In my mind right now, I have the idea of creating a website based on bettering yourself and your lifestyle, many people want to be healthy and do what's morally right. So with that understanding a website could be used to attract and educate people, which would possible be the foundation to "creating a better world."

Again, it can work, but make sure you have all the bells and whistles people are used to. Everything should be easy to navigate, the user experience should be unique and there should be exclusive content found only on the site. Also, your mission statement and tagline should probably include “creating a better world” or something that is very thought compelling and enough to drive human emotions.

So health, morality, education be the kind of values your talking about?

Yes, and I’ll help you out a bit. What you want to do is use an acronym, and based on the three words you provided, Health, Education and Morality, you have H.E.M, and what exactly is a hem? You wear clothing don’t you? You want to “sew” the “fabric” of humanity back together correct? You don’t have to use that, you can use anything you want, but make sure the acronym can also be used to explain your mission statement.

Health especially, there are many many people who dip toes into the topic of health, thinking that changing their cereal or eating a few less calories will make them feel better about themselves, when there is a whole unknown world full of grassroot health information.

True, and by establishing relationships with those who have information, you’ll be one step closer to your goal.

Zeitgeist was on semi track of what I mentioned.. but I think the potential was wasted; but Zeitgeist itself had different foundations and is a completely different phenomenon.

With Zeitgest they tried to hit too many people when they should have focused on a key demographic, and then followed up later.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join