It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Armchair Warriors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
First off, I usually don't write much on these boards, I usually don't feel in panic or deep feelings amounting whats currently happening in the world because I feel that nature will run it's course. But I also feel that we need to do our part (as part of nature) to make things move.

General Fact: Most of us are lazy armchair warriors. We surf the net, read, write, and always wait for something to happen.

Well it's time all of you who remain armchair warriors now to promote yourselves to life-stylists and do something. I'm not asking you to run the streets in mega protest (yet, but you can if you want). I am entirely against violent action, (because who knows what repercussions could happen.) But you ALL need to start incorporating what you believe here in your armchair as you read this into your lifestyle.

Watch what you buy, where you shop, what you spend your time on. People have said it before, and I'll repeat it again. BECOME SELF SUFFICIENT. I'm guilty of the armchair warrior mentality as well, but this recent law repeal was a huge makeup call.

Watch what you eat, who you support. Where ever you purchase your products from, you are supporting someone.

Stop shopping at Wall-mart, stop getting coffee at Starbucks, stop shopping at McDonalds. Start getting your goods from the little guys.

Every dime you spend is going somewhere, and in number and progression, it will make a difference.

See, I'm not asking you to do something huge, I'm telling you to change your lifestyles.

I mean don't even buy IBM products or get your gas from the Shell.

I've got a small time shop near by selling biodeisel at 99c a gallon! That's who you want to support.

And like someone else said a week or so back, our government hates paperwork, so find a way to flood them. I'm not sure the best way to do that, but I'd love to know how, because I'd definitely do it.

Please for the love of god ( or no god) stop drinking your city tap water, your so toxified and passive that you no longer care what happens in life.

Am I the only one thinking this? Or am I going to get flamed by hypocrites and the brainwashed bunch?

Remember, I'm not asking you to do something radical, at-least something! The least you can do what you can with your lifestyle.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Scarcer]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You're going to be flamed by the hypocrites. Yes, a lifestyle change is in order, but it is too late for Americans as America is finished.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

That's a super speech there! I agree with you on the most part, some things not so much but I'm here and there.

One thing's for sure: There's not much to gain from sitting around doing nothing; believe me I know. That's why when I do a painting I stand up to do it, and if I write a short story or something, I physically act it all out.

However, when surfing the net, I just sit here in my armchair and feel my fingers burn with movement!

I do agree that we need to support independent companies rather than massive ones though, otherwise, one day, we'll be left with one supermarket chain, one restaraunt (maybe) and so on...

Oh and I also walk places instead of getting the bus. You know a lot of people think that putting the effort in instead of going for the easy way is pointless, but who is the real fool?

Ramadwarf on creative exertion, taking the bus, and supporting the independent companies.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I agree with you.

You know, friend, most people dont have any clue about what they buy, and what they support. Especially when it comes to food.

But beyond that, if you believe a corporation is immoral, or you disagree with their practices....hey dont support them.

The main problem with your "arm chair warriors" is that even when they are presented with the information, they do nothing about it.

Wal-mart could be exposed tomorrow for sacrificing an new born infant every winter solstice to Lord Lucifer, and people would STILL shop there. Because, essentially....it's cheaper, and more convenient.

Now that I think about it...Wal Mart might actually do that sort of thing.....

You heard me right. People would rather support Satan, than put a strain on their wallets or take time out of their day.

GREAT THREAD!!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

It is NOT too late for America or Americans. It is too late for some of them. I agree with the OP. We have become fat, lazy, and especially with some of the younger generations, extremely selfish. We have reached a point where we want what we want when we want it.
It is not, however too late. It just takes some people getting out and getting involved in their communities. Do you have any idea how much you can learn (and how much knowledge you can impart) by being a Boy Scout leader? You not only teach physical survival skills but social and moral survival skills.
I would hope that those of you who have children would get involved with groups that teach skills to the youth of America.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I believe that if we get a foundational thing going here, that makes it a LOT easier for all the lazy people to jump the bandwagon and start making a difference, well then we would really be onto something.

How about we start with a list of places and products not to shop/buy?

Really, how difficult is it to do THAT much?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

You're going to be flamed by the hypocrites. Yes, a lifestyle change is in order, but it is too late for Americans as America is finished.

Ssshhhhh...your post is knowledge deficient.

Scarcer:

But you ALL need to start incorporating what you believe here in your armchair as you read this into your lifestyle.

Quite the assumption you have laid out here...have you taken a poll with the members, or scoured all their posts to back it..?

I think not...I do practice what I preach - I may not stand on a soap box, but I throw out what I learn here to those that I care about, and others as the situation dictates. And from the emails and u2u's I have had with other members, quite a few are doing the same.

I can't reach everyone, but I can definitely make a dent within the social circle I roam.

Your generalization sux...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

Did I acknowledge absolutely everyone in the beginning of my thread? No.

I'm talking about armchair warriors.

If you practice what you preach, then technically your not an armchair warrior.

I'm not that mentally shallow, sorry.

So again, please don't get offended if you think something doesn't apply to you, cause it probably doesn't

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

My post is right on the money and is supported by the hypocrisy of many Americans. Furthermore, on this site, all one has to do is refer to the hypocrisy of many conspiracy theorists and you'll see I'm speaking the truth.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE

My post is right on the money and is supported by the hypocrisy of many Americans. Furthermore, on this site, all one has to do is refer to the hypocrisy of many conspiracy theorists and you'll see I'm speaking the truth.

Just as there are many that might support you, there are many opposition that opinion.

A matter of fact its the very opinion and mentality itself that sets any American up to fail. Any way, this doesn't just have to apply to americans.

If you think we have no chance left, then why are you still here on this site any way?

So lets not derail please.

Make a counter topic if you must.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

It is NOT too late for America or Americans.

Yes it is but you’re in denial.

It is too late for some of them.

Too late for most and too late for the country as a whole.

I agree with the OP. We have become fat, lazy, and especially with some of the younger generations, extremely selfish. We have reached a point where we want what we want when we want it.

And you say it isn’t too late?

It is not, however too late. It just takes some people getting out and getting involved in their communities.

You can get out and involved all you want, how will that stop TPTB from manipulating the population?

Do you have any idea how much you can learn (and how much knowledge you can impart) by being a Boy Scout leader? You not only teach physical survival skills but social and moral survival skills.

Many of the teachers and leaders are morally bankrupt. Moreover, many of the other primary agents of socialization are morally bankrupt, so what’s your point? That one person can save the world or make a difference?

I would hope that those of you who have children would get involved with groups that teach skills to the youth of America.

See above.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by EMPIRE]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

One of the things to give up are our T.V's and computers. All run by big corporations. And you will NEVER see that happen. It's much more fun to bicker and insult each other then stop and seek solutions. We're dead in the water.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by koolerthanjesus
reply to post by Scarcer

One of the things to give up are our T.V's and computers. All run by big corporations. And you will NEVER see that happen. It's much more fun to bicker and insult each other then stop and seek solutions. We're dead in the water.

Well many members here including myself have given up their T.V.'s. And our computers is a means of communication, a useful tool.

Depends on how you use things.

And I agree about the bickering, never wanted this to turn into a flame war, maybe bad on my part but sometimes it takes a little offending to get people to pay attention, but in turn I was being constructive. Some other members though are entirely negative as you can see...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Just as there are many that might support you, there are many opposition that opinion.

And what are the results? Look at the handwriting on the wall. Are things getting better or worse?

A matter of fact its the very opinion and mentality itself that sets any American up to fail. Any way, this doesn't just have to apply to americans.

No, it's looking at things for what they are and calling them for what they are. No, what you're saying doesn't have to apply to Americans alone, but it sure doesn't apply to third world countries where they don't even have a Wal Mart, McDonalds, Strabucks or have IBM products.

If you think we have no chance left, then why are you still here on this site any way?

A belief (or disbelief) in having a chance is not a prerequisite to coming to this site, nor is it to staying here.

So lets not derail please.Make a counter topic if you must.

I'm not derailing, my posts are on topic, I simply don't agree that any meaningful change can come about because it's too late for America. There is no need to make a counter topic as I'm within my right to make a counter post. As previously stated, a lifestyle change is in order, but a lifestyle change will not help America as a whole.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Star and Flag. Very good OP. I think the problem will be the masses being apathetic. It is a shame for that, because the things that you listed are so simple to do and often will save some money for the household. I've something to add, instead of paying monthly fees at a corporate-chain gym, walk or ride a bike. This will be free exercise, cut the purse strings of the Middle Eastern oil-lords and help the environment.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
I think you correct about it being too late for us. I believe that it is apathy that has brought this about, encouraged by the corporate bosses and their mass media helping to keep the masses fat, dumb and happy.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Again, make a counter topic if you can't accept others beliefs.

You are in fact off topic and derailing this thread where as the the opening discussion is about what can be done. A much more constructive approach is to start a counter topic.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hmm, earlier on I mentioned that I have been looked down upon and/or made to feel small because I don't always take the easy route (although they fail in doing so); well, I find that if you go a few days eating very little, or forcing yourself not to watch the tv and/or go on the internet, you don't want it as much.

It is easy to slip back into the old lifestyle, as anyone with an addiction will tell you I'm sure. Being a young person myself I can agree with Kettlebellysmith's comment about the selfishness of the young. There's absolutely no sense of work with a lot of us.

A 'friend' of mine seriously slagged fishing off because he can't stand the idea of patience as he's so used to everything coming easily. We've got an exam next week and he hasn't even read the books we're studying, choosing to read the wikipedia synopsis.

I know that I've just listed things that generally call for sitting down, but he'll get on the bus and get off after one stop. I think this lack of work ethic is occurring amongst youngsters like this because there are so many parents out of work, sitting around at home doing nothing all day. Admittedly a lot of people that are out of work and on benefits do try to be active and try to get work; but so many can't be bothered and it isn't setting a good example to their kids.

I don't think it's just America that's in trouble (though I've never been there myself), I think it's occurring in most advanced countries of the world. Something must be done, but when those of us who think that are in short supply compared to the opposition, how on Earth can we possibly do anything? Ah, there's always a way! Right?!

Ramadwarf on lazy parents and kids following suit

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

I don't have to make a counter topic if I don't accept your beliefs. I'm making a counter point to your beliefs and explaining why. Moroever, if you refer to my initial post I'm agreeing that lifestyle changes are in order, just they won't work for saving this country. How is that off topic? Moreover, you yourself alluded to being flamed, so that means you were already considering the possibilities that people would not agree with you. However, here I am saying I both agree and disagree with you, have not flamed you, and you say I'm off topic and should make a counter thread?

Yes, this is a discussion about what you feel can and should be done, but we are allowed to post our opinions and criticisms (whether constructive or not.)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You know, I didnt want to jump into this, because it became a debate before anything useful was found in the replies.

This happens on alot of threads...alot of mine. Im kinda tired of it.

I have to say that deciding that "it's too late for America" is exactly the Type-B personality that we are discussing. That's the problem. That personality type is the problem.

Type-A is awlways thinking of a way to make something better. Type-A refuses to think that a problem does not have a solution. Type-A is essentially hard-headed, but with her/his heart in the right place.

Im Type-A. And while I believe that most of the world is over-run with power-hungry-unethical-big-business, I also think that their behavior can only work while we support them.

So, in the long run, when I dont support a system/idea/business-I am adhering to principals I have set for myself. Im Type-A

Type-B has principals, but refuses to act because it's not worth the effort.

If you think any effort to promote change, will return fruitless, then keep doing what you do. Dont poop on peoples threads because you think the endeavor is hopeless.

Nothing changes, with negativity or despair fueling the cause.

*PHEW*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
With that out of the way, the corporations I refuse to support are WAL MART, Credit card companies, and most chain retailers.

As far as chain retailers go, I would rather pay an extra 5 dollars for a piece of mountain biking gear from my locally owned store. rather than pay cheaper rates at Target, or such.

Credit Cards are a SCAM. If you cannot pay for it, do not buy it. If it is essential, most local banks will give you a loan at a much better rate than someone like Discover or Visa.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join