It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good News... You’re all mentally ill

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
reply to post by MikeNice81

If it's patently untrue, it's not evidence.

All evidence must be based on reality, surely

I told you I butcher it between my brain and fingers. I meant to put implausable there as well.

You are right all evidence must be based on fact.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Record statistics of suicides, panting competition, unemployment here, job stress there, renovations and insecurity in work life, alienation, desperation, mountains of psychological medicine measured in tons, the decline of body and diseases of the living standard, the unbelievable arrogance of the individual, quarrel, corruption,crime. Welcome to the modern world. Does this sound sane to you.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Of course - but that's what I'm saying. We should demand evidence, no matter how far-fetched, before believing anything. If the evidence is sound, and stands up to scientific rigour, then we have a winner. If it can't then it needs to be worked on by the proponents. It should, however, never be accepted as true until the evidence demonstrates that it is.

reply to post by concernedcitizan

So that's an excuse for believing that Bigfoot is living in a small hut in Connecticut?

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

Conspiracy thinking is dangerous because it does not correctly associate blame, and in doing so, has people fighting a chimera they can never defeat while ignoring real problems. It is a form of scapegoating, where we identify a conscious evil entity instead of the actual enemy, which is a system design that institutes radical evil, or the mundane form of accepted ways of doing things that produces negative results by its lack of realism.

Common conspiracy targets are the military-industrial complex, "The Jew," the Masons, the Media, the Christian right, multinational corporations, and so on. These are more correctly referred to as "lobbies," or those who influence politics indirectly with money and favors and mass mobilization through media, and when they are successful as "oligarchs," or those who manipulate from behind the scenes with money and power and social influence. However, lobbies and oligarchs did not create the system as it is, nor do they control it, although they have power in it and profit from it. They are symptoms and not the disease. The disease is a bad social design that allows such things to happen.

It is beyond doubt that lobbies and oligarchs create damage and perpetuate the decline of a system, but it is a mistake to assign to them a shadowy role of controlling it or creating it, because one will be then fighting the lobby or oligarch -- which is one of many such entities -- and not focusing on fixing the system itself. Conspiracy thinking engenders a negative psychology of paranoia and symbolic thinking instead of directing the user toward a realism in which the social design is corrupt and can be fixed, and that fix will in itself eliminate the power of all lobbies and oligarchs, actually resolving the problem.

Most who subscribe to conspiracy thinking do so from the following psychological pragma: because X group is in control, and X group can never be beaten, there is nothing I can do of substance, therefore I will grumble and groan but I will not take practical action, because if I do so, X group will eliminate me. Conspiracy thinking is not only illogical, but it is a shallow psychological justification for inaction
I think you missed my point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join